Magna Hifi Mano Music Streamer
May 14, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #61 of 63
You could buy a Denafrips Iris and use that. It'll give you I2S and you can feed it via USB.
Hi, it seems that most people who use the Denafrips Iris is connecting to a pc/laptop.

QUESTION: How much (more or less improvement) would I get using my iPhone 12 Pro Max (using an Apple Lightning to USB camera adapter) compared to those using a pc/laptop?

I'll be connecting my chain as: Apple Music lossless and hi-res lossless --> iPhone 12 Pro Max -> Apple lightning to USB camera adapter --> usb into the Denafrips Ares II 12th anniversary --> RCA into my Arcam AVR5 receiver.

Thanks.

May 16, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #62 of 63
IRS makes bright speakers sound better via reducing the brightness.
QUESTION: I wonder if the Denafrips Iris outperforms a streamer such as the Netherlands $1100 USD Magna Mano Mk3 Farad with builtin i2s.
Doesn't increased clarity often cause "perceived" brightness? For me a simple USB connection always sounds softer "darker." Unless it's really noisy/jittery in which case it can sound dark + edgy, due to reduced air and added glare. Though this was much worse in the old days of early XMOS.

Based on comments, people seem to regard the Mano MKIII as relativly warm sounding, which draws me to going down that route. But I really like the simplicity and cost savings of just adding a DDC to my PC.

Decisions :thinking:

May 16, 2023 at 8:05 PM Post #63 of 63
Doesn't increased clarity often cause "perceived" brightness? For me a simple USB connection always sounds softer "darker." Unless it's really noisy/jittery in which case it can sound dark + edgy, due to reduced air and added glare. Though this was much worse in the old days of early XMOS.

Based on comments, people seem to regard the Mano MKIII as relativly warm sounding, which draws me to going down that route. But I really like the simplicity and cost savings of just adding a DDC to my PC.

Decisions :thinking:

Try the DDC first. I doubt you'll have any trouble moving it on if it isn't for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back