Magna Hifi Mano Music Streamer
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #31 of 63
If I2S output is desired, then perhaps instead of a USB-I2S bridge like the SU-1, one could directly have PCI-E to I2S like with this board:
https://www.magnahifi.com/en/categories/product/pf-i2s-bridge-pci-e
and in rest eventually follow Amir's music server build thread.

According to Hans Beekhuysen, the SOtM SMS-200 Ultra (USB) is better than the plain Mano Streamer (I2S), but no idea about the Mano Ultra streamer. Looks interesting.
Hmm, then there may be somehing not right with the Magna computer itself, too much noise? Or their I2S is also a DDC —-> I2S inside the computer?

Mar 2, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 63
Holy Necro-Thread Batman! Yes, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead after practically a year.
There's just not a lot of info on Magna Mano streamer. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig - I just placed an order for the "Mano ultra" streamer.

I'm moving my Holo Spring DAC out of my head-fi rig and into my vinyl/tube 2-channel system. I need a ROON compatible streaming device to make my Holo work in that location. After quite a bit of research, I'm back to the Maga Mano with its I2S output. It's compatible with my Holo Spring and can be shipped with a ROON image. I should have the device in a few weeks and will report back for those still interested.

Apr 14, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 63
Holy Necro-Thread Batman! Yes, I'm bringing this thread back from the dead after practically a year.
There's just not a lot of info on Magna Mano streamer. Looks like I'll be the guinea pig - I just placed an order for the "Mano ultra" streamer.

I'm moving my Holo Spring DAC out of my head-fi rig and into my vinyl/tube 2-channel system. I need a ROON compatible streaming device to make my Holo work in that location. After quite a bit of research, I'm back to the Maga Mano with its I2S output. It's compatible with my Holo Spring and can be shipped with a ROON image. I should have the device in a few weeks and will report back for those still interested.

Have you got your Mano? How was it with your Holo?

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #34 of 63
Have you got your Mano? How was it with your Holo?
From a sound perspective, I'm very happy with the device. The I2S outputs of the Mano follow the PS Audio standard and matched right up to the Holo I2S input.

The Mano is at its core a Raspberry PI device running a stripped operating system and the RoPieee RoonBridge software.

I encountered 2x challenges with the Mano - none of which had anything to do with sound quality.
(1) The version of RoPieee in the Mano does not work with the wireless USB adapter. I ***REALLY*** wanted to a wireless device. Instead I was forced to run an ethernet cable to the Mano and hardwire it to my network.
(2) I'm getting a lot of hum from the R-core transformer in the Mano. The voltage in my home is measured at 122V and not the 115v standard - hence the hum. With the Mano plugged in,I can hear an audible hum from across the room. The guys at Mano are working with me on this issue.

IMG_8002.JPG

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #35 of 63
I tried streaming all 16 & 24 bit content - it all worked well. I also tried streaming different sample rates up to 192Khz. ....everything functioned correctly.
I also tried streaming DSD64 content using DoP - that worked flawlessly as well.

As a Roon Bridge it was identified on the network immediately and I was able to play to/thru it from my PC, phone and tablet.

I hope that a future build of RoPieee includes support for a USB wireless network adapter. In the meantime, I've got a great streaming solution that's pairs very well with my Holo.

Feb 27, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #36 of 63
Hi I've just bought a 2nd hand Mano Ultra and i'm struggling to find the PDF manual mentioned in some reviews. i'm not getting any response from Magnahifi at the moment so i was hoping some kind soul on here could point me in the right direction or share the PDF with me. I'm using it as a roon endpoint, but it comes with volumio installed and i'm finding their ROON plug-in a bit a lumpy so i'd like to try a different operating system. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Feb 27, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #37 of 63
Hi I've just bought a 2nd hand Mano Ultra and i'm struggling to find the PDF manual mentioned in some reviews. i'm not getting any response from Magnahifi at the moment so i was hoping some kind soul on here could point me in the right direction or share the PDF with me. I'm using it as a roon endpoint, but it comes with volumio installed and i'm finding their ROON plug-in a bit a lumpy so i'd like to try a different operating system. Thanks in advance for any help :)

Not getting a response from Magna Hifi? You'll be the first one! Lol.
I would just sent them an email and ask for the manual. They always respond!
They have images for Roon Endpoint and picore/Logitech Media server.
Roon endpoint you do not need a manual: Just load the image and ready
Logitech Media server is a detailed step by step manual to configure streaming services and NAS / USB Drive music playback. (and other useful information)

Sep 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #38 of 63
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but I am in need of some help.

I have just purchased a used Mano streamer pre-configured with piCoreplayer but I wish to change it to Volumio. Am I correct in thinking that I simply have to open the mano and install Volumio on the SD card as you normally would with a raspberry pi or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #39 of 63

I have just purchased a used Mano streamer pre-configured with piCoreplayer but I wish to change it to Volumio. Am I correct in thinking that I simply have to open the mano and install Volumio on the SD card as you normally would with a raspberry pi or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Robbie, please feel free to contact Magna Hifi directly for support.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #41 of 63

Thanks in advance.

As far as I know that's the process.

Im interested on this streamer as well, would you mind sharing your recent experience with it regarding sound quality, and what did you use priorly to stream?

Thanks

I may end up doing a review about it if we're all lucky :)

Oct 29, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #42 of 63
I may end up doing a review about it if we're all lucky :)
Hi, any news on this?

would be nice to hear if there's any comparisson on the mano ultra II and the sms200 ultra.
Also would love to know a bit of specifics of using spotify with the optional players (I know theres some info on this elsewhere but still nice to hear first hand exp). I understand MoOde or logitech media will integrate with spotify, but is it like there are all the functionalities (song radio for instance, used it so much to discover new stuff). I use mostly spotify but a bit of Tidal and found more videos talking about tidal use on such players

Jan 12, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #43 of 63
Today we're going to talk about streamers, and whether they might influence sound or not. I'm a big fan of open subjects, and while on cables, the unanimity seems to be on one side of the question, I wonder if you feel like streamers can influence sound, so I made a review on Mano Ultra MK2 from Magna Hifi!

Since this is one of my early reviews on streamers, I also study why listeners can feel that the sound is different when you include a streamer, so for I hope my review is fun to read, regardless whether you believe in the effect of streamers or not, and as always remember to enjoy the music~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2...ra-mkii-streamer-digital-to-digital-muse.html

magna-hifi-mano-ultra-mk2-streamer-rasberry-pi-micro-computer-review-audiophile-heaven-06.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back