Magna Hifi Mano Music Streamer
Sep 30, 2016 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

eschell27

100+ Head-Fier
Magna Hifi is a site/company based out of the Netherlands who sells and services Audio-GD equipment. I have yet to have any dealings with them but have read good things. I was on their site the other day looking around and noticed they have recently created and started selling a music streamer / server. It looks very interesting and began to search around for reviews or ANYTHING written about it and did not come up with much, and not a single mention i could find on head-fi yet. So....thought i would check to see if perhaps anyone has indeed tried it out and just not spoken up about it, or at least raise awareness of it's existence to the wonderful people of head-fi.

Info from Magna Hifi's site:  http://www.magnahifi.com/index.php/webshop/product/MH-HE-Pi2S

Mano Music Streamer (High-Res)

INTRODUCTION
Magna Hifi is proud to introduce high-end streaming from any smartphone, tabled or PC or a laptop or whichever wireless device is at hand. This makes the listening experience much easier without compromising sound quality. The Mano Streamer is the ultimate streaming source for your Audio-GD DAC (or any DAC supporting I2S input) making use of the I2S interconnect. The Mano streamer is built based on the extremely high Audio-GD standards such as discrete Class A power supply with more than 20.000uF power capacity, an high quality R-Core transformer and ultra-low noise oscillators.

Lead-time for this handcrafted streamer is 4-6 weeks

FEATURES
High-end top-class streaming quality with bit perfect playback

DIGITAL OUTPUTS

1. HDMI I2S Port - PCM - PS AUDIO SPECS
  2. RCA SPDIF - 75Ohm
  3. BNC SPDIF (OPTIONAL) - 75Ohm

FILE TYPES

1. Supported File Types: AAC, AIF, ALAC, DIF, DSF, FLAC, MP3, OGG, WAV, WV and WMA
  2. DSD playback with DSD-over-PCM (DoP)

SAMPLE RATES

1. HDMI I2S OUT: 44.1 Khz - 384 Khz | 16-32 bit
  2. SPDIF OUT: 44.1 Khz - 192 Khz | 16-24 bit

CONTROL APPLICATIONS

1. Picore LMS: Any Squeeze application, iPeng for iOS, Squeeze Orange for Android
  2. Volumio: Music Player Daemon (MPD) Apps
  3. Volumio: Lumin, BubbleUpnp and other uPnP compatible control software
  4. All: Web Browser

MEDIA SERVER

1. Picore: LMS (Logitech Squeeze Server)
  2. Volumio: Minimserver, Twonky, Synology Media Server Minimserver and more
  3. Volumio: DLNA/UPNP compatible 

INPUT CONNECTIVITY

1. 1x RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet
  2. 4x Local USB media (USB Stick)
  3. 1x 230V / 110V Power
  4. 1x WIFI Dongle (Optional)

STREAMING SERVICES
Streaming services supported are:

1. Spotify (Picore LMS)
  2. TIDAL (Picore LMS)
  3. Qobuz (Picore LMS)
  4. Deezer (Picore LMS)
  5. Internet Radio

TECHNOLOGY
  1. Fully reclocked I2S over HDMI output PS Audio / Audio-GD compatible pin layout.
  2. Galvanic isolated and reclocked SPDIF output (RCA or BNC Connection)
  3. 2x Crystek’s model CCHD-957 oscillators designed specifically for High Definition Audio (HD Audio). It features a typical low close-in phase noise of -100 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz offset, and a noise floor of -169 dBc/Hz. With this extreme low phase noise performance, you will “Hear the Difference”.
  4. Based on Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 providing I2S output including the MCLK (Master Clock from Magna Hifi's digital board.
  5. Ultra low noise Tentlabs shunt regulators for oscillators and digital audio circuit. The shunts drop in instead of commonly used industrial types of regulators. Having much lower noise, true wide bandwidth and linear output impedance, they'll bring improvement to sound in terms of:  Higher resolution, better transparency, clean low ends and increased dynamics.
  6. Low noise Power supply provided without generating unwanted noise and without passing it along into the sensitive digitital signal path.
  7. 2 original Toshiba 2SC5200 transistors and 20.000 uF power capacity
  8. High quality R-core transformer. The R-core transformer has high isolation degree. it can improve the signal-to-noise ratio, isolate the harmonic interference, reduce the noise, make he background cleaner. R core transforer can fully improve the quality of sound.
  9. Power rail for Raspberry and separated power rail for digital audio circuit
  10. Fully reclocked I2S signal path with seperated data reclocking.
  11. HDMI I2S Audio-GD output board compatible with Audio-GD I2S
  12. Aluminium black housing with 3mm front panel and blue led.

Here are links to a couple of reviews ( that translate well enough to be readable )

http://www.audioenzo.nl/magna-i2s-streamer/

http://www.audioenzo.nl/audio-gd-nos7-magna-mano/

Looks to be a great companion to Audio-GD dacs but by no means limited to.
Interested to get the thoughts from some of you much more knowledgeable head-fi folks.
Piece of ****?
Great new streamer at a fair price?
Has potential?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 2, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #2 of 63
I have listened to the Mano on my Master 7 and am impressed by its sound quality (and iPeng application!) 

The HDMI I2S output is directly connected to the Audio-GD HDMI port. A re-clocked galvanic isolated spdif output is available but I have not listened to this output only to the HDMI output. Right now only one is active (HDMI or SPDIF)

Besides the Squeezebox-eco system you could also setup Mano streamer as Roon bridge.

I like the fact I can move to Roon Labs or other software that comes available and even the "Raspberry" hardware can be upgraded.

The price: It isn't cheap, however compare it with  "any other streamer" and you will find price is very competitive (in my humble view). Once I have sold my current (much more expensive streamer) I will order the Mano. 

ps. search on the internet:
"I have now listen more to the Mano and compared to the laptop with Ubuntu / Chrome / Tidal . It sounds better overall. Somehow you have managed to make the sound more calm.
I do not know how to describe it but it is very detailed but at the same time relaxed and musical. I get a good feeling when listening and like it very much. It is like good food with a perfect glass of wine"

ps. Info on France forum: http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-1252-page-17.html

Oct 9, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #3 of 63
I use the Magna streamer (with a RaspberyPi 2) for a couple of months now via I2S on a Audio GD NOS 7 and like the sound very much. Crispy, very open and detailed sound with a deep and wide soundstage.
The setup is a Synology NAS with LMS  on it and the software on de Mano is piCoreplayer with Squeeze lite. Very easy to play with!

Oct 14, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 63
Awesome! Thanks for the info. It looked like a very nice source/streamer and was hoping there were some head-fiers out there who owned it or at least had heard it in action, especially with an AGD dac. Have you used for NOS-7 with other sources you could compare it to the Mano? PC via usb? Some other DDC or transport?

Oct 15, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 63
Yes i used several other hardware via SPDIF coax on the NOS7. E.g. the Cambridge 752BD and Cambridge 851N, also the Mano itself via SPDIF in stead of I2S HDMI. From the 3 the Mano wins in SQ, the 752BD has the least quality SPDIF output. The 851N is rather good, but the Mano sounds a little more transparent, more detail without being harsh.
But via I2S HDMI is hole othe party and a big jump in SQ. The amount of detail is enormous, very deep soundstage.

Oct 16, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 63
I have ordered one and will arrive in 3-4 weeks 
smily_headphones1.gif

Really looking forward to it!

Nov 22, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 63
After a week of playing I have to say: This Mano streamer is really good in a lot of ways! Its a perfect "fit" to Audio-GD DAC's!. 

I used both Volumio and Squeezebox eco-system. In sound I could not discover any difference. Volumio allows you to use it as openhome UPnP/DLNA render device; I prefer the Squeeze eco system personally and use IPeng. Tons of features and all streaming services are available. It could also run as Rune bridge! (I will investigate later)

The Mano played flawlessly, no strange noises when changing sample rates or whatsoever.
Very nice finish, heavy, good power supply; Fits Audio-GD's looks.
It comes with a PDF manual as well. One for Volumio or Squeeze.

The SPDIF output sounds good but not as good as the HDMI (LVDS) output. Magna HIfi confirmed this in an email to me saying HDMI has had their main focus.

I was able to play all kinds of music. From CD quality to DSD formatted audio.

Listing to HDMI I2S output is what I use connected to my Master 7.
Sound is ultimately transparent and Instruments and voices are really separated.
Very quiet backgrounds, high amounts of sonic information, and really good timing stability. Good sonic image and soundstage giving realistic three-dimensionality.

Having the Mano in my system has transformed my listening experiences for the better: Including playback all of my high-res PCM and DSD files. Highly recommended!

It is an open system. You can see this as both an advantage or disadvantage. I see it as an advantage. Today squeeze, tomorrow Rune on same hardware.

If you do not have the HDMI I2S Input on your DAC it is still a good streamer but there is much more choice.

I am very impressed and this is honestly what I think of it.

ps. the latest version of the Mano has a better looking backpanel!

Nov 26, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #11 of 63
I think the mano power simple noisy.I trial alredy many different ps.Absolutely winner Linear technology Lt 3042,2pcs parallel connencted 5volt- raspberry board.The nos 7 sound fantastic now.

Nov 26, 2016 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 63
  I think the mano power simple noisy.I trial alredy many different ps.Absolutely winner Linear technology Lt 3042,2pcs parallel connencted 5volt- raspberry board.The nos 7 sound fantastic now.

I don't know. All I know is, it sounds very, very good. Best source I have used so far. They use several Tentlabs shunts, have tried them?

Nov 26, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #13 of 63
I dont trial Tentlabs,but
​linn,aurender,lumin,......believe Linear Tech.I also trial lt 3080,1764.....This 3042 the best one,new one.
im ordered 80 pcs 100Farad supercap,i want trial with this new 3042,without transformers

Nov 26, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #14 of 63
mano raspberry motherboard powered by shunt regulators or just simple linear reg?
If yes,then should be ok!!!

Nov 29, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote from the Magna Mano site:

1. Fully reclocked I2S over HDMI output PS Audio / Audio-GD compatible pin layout.
  2. Galvanic isolated and reclocked SPDIF output (RCA or BNC Connection)
  3. 2x Crystek’s model CCHD-957 oscillators designed specifically for High Definition Audio (HD Audio). It features a typical low close-in phase noise of -100 dBc/Hz @ 10 Hz offset, and a noise floor of -169 dBc/Hz. With this extreme low phase noise performance, you will “Hear the Difference”.
  4. Based on Raspberry Pi 2 / 3 providing I2S output including the MCLK (Master Clock from Magna Hifi's digital board.
  5. Ultra low noise Tentlabs shunt regulators for oscillators and digital audio circuit. The shunts drop in instead of commonly used industrial types of regulators. Having much lower noise, true wide bandwidth and linear output impedance, they'll bring improvement to sound in terms of:  Higher resolution, better transparency, clean low ends and increased dynamics.
  6. Low noise Power supply provided without generating unwanted noise and without passing it along into the sensitive digitital signal path.
  7. 2 original Toshiba 2SC5200 transistors and 20.000 uF power capacity
  8. High quality R-core transformer. The R-core transformer has high isolation degree. it can improve the signal-to-noise ratio, isolate the harmonic interference, reduce the noise, make he background cleaner. R core transforer can fully improve the quality of sound.
  9. Power rail for Raspberry and separated power rail for digital audio circuit
  10. Fully reclocked I2S signal path with seperated data reclocking.
  11. HDMI I2S Audio-GD output board compatible with Audio-GD I2S
  12. Aluminium black housing with 3mm front panel and blue led.

The Mano has a very good power supply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back