Magaosi K5
Jan 12, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #76 of 197
I've never seen an IEM with such different sound signatures with different cables. Using a copper cable has boosted the sub bass and bass presence while slightly reducing the midrange and soundstage, while using a pure silver cable is making it more treble centric with added soundstage better vocals, slightly reduces bass presence. Its actually pretty decent after using it consistently for a few weeks, I've learned to ignore the hiss, and I find myself preferring this over the K3 Pro/KZ ZS5 much more often, it is definitely a step up from the K3 Pro. The provided cable (old version now I guess) produced the worst sound signature IMO after repeatedly changing and testing with different cables, it was the main bottleneck. I have thrown it away.

Jan 14, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #78 of 197
Ngoshawk has the pair I reviewed and will be posting his thoughts once he gets caught up. I hope the cable in the full kit has been replaced as they really might be a good choice for listeners who prefer a phone to a dedicated DAP if it weren't for how bad that original cable was. My hope is for the K6 they back off the sensitivity to something a bit more reasonable (100 - 104 range).

Jan 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #81 of 197
Jan 18, 2018 at 2:20 AM Post #84 of 197
Ngoshawk has the pair I reviewed and will be posting his thoughts once he gets caught up. I hope the cable in the full kit has been replaced as they really might be a good choice for listeners who prefer a phone to a dedicated DAP if it weren't for how bad that original cable was. My hope is for the K6 they back off the sensitivity to something a bit more reasonable (100 - 104 range).

Agree, lower sensitivity will be better. Also 32 ohm impedance would be better. Because of lower sensitivity and higher impedance, K3 Pro is not loosing control. In most listenable levels of "high volumes" (and it reaches a bit more) without loosing overall control. I love that feature. I am using it even with Objective 2 AMP :)

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #85 of 197
I have heard that Magaosi K5 has 2 versions. When the second release came up so fast? Or, second version means "same K5 with upgraded cable"? Do you have any idea?

I have not seen any evidence of the earpiece changing in the K5. Until we have a larger sample size to compare, I think it is best to avoid any speculation about driver or housing changes and assume it is just a replacement of a poor cable with a better design. That alone is certainly a welcome change. The fastest I have seen anybody make the changes to the internals was the F9 to F9 Pro update and that took 3 or 4 months to do and was considered by most to be amazing speed. If indeed they do update the internals, I hope they will badge the new model differently so they are easy to tell apart. It would do them a disservice to have a very high sensitivity model and a much lower model with the same branding. I can only imagine how bad the sound would be if you plugged a K5 into an amp thinking it was a 600 ohm /89 db model only to realize later it was the original version.

Jan 18, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #86 of 197
I have heard that Magaosi K5 has 2 versions. When the second release came up so fast? Or, second version means "same K5 with upgraded cable"? Do you have any idea?

The only 2 "versions" that I know of are:

1. With bluetooth cable
2. Without bluetooth cable

Or by "2 versions", are you referring to the revised stock (braided) MMCX cable that I received with my K5?

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:08 AM Post #87 of 197
The only 2 "versions" that I know of are:

1. With bluetooth cable
2. Without bluetooth cable

Or by "2 versions", are you referring to the revised stock (braided) MMCX cable that I received with my K5?

Sellers listing "Magaosi K5 2.0" That made me confused. I am not sure if this is just a cable upgrade or another version of K5 with some inner arrangement.

So did the cable upgrade make t really a good IEM for you? (over K3 Pros for example if you have used)

Jan 19, 2018 at 12:40 AM Post #88 of 197
Sellers listing "Magaosi K5 2.0" That made me confused. I am not sure if this is just a cable upgrade or another version of K5 with some inner arrangement.

So did the cable upgrade make t really a good IEM for you? (over K3 Pros for example if you have used)

Well, I never heard the K5 with the "old" cable, so I can only compare it to comments in this thread about the previous cable.

So yes, it appears that the "new" cable is superior to the "old" cable. I do not know if the inclusion of the "new" cable is what's being referred to as "2.0".

As far as the K5 vs the K3 Pro, they each have their strengths. I definitely like the K3 Pro - it's no slouch. But the K5 beats it out IMO assuming you have a good cable and choose the right tips that provide a good seal. If you are in the market, and it was down to the K3 Pro or K5, I would go with the K5.

Be aware that I've not heard the K3 HD model though, so I don't know how that stacks up to the K5. But from numerous comments on the K3 thread, the HD version is definitely superior to the Pro model.

As always, YMMV and you should take my word for a grain of salt. I have not experienced any of the hiss or sensitivity issues some people are talking about.

Jan 19, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #89 of 197
Well, I never heard the K5 with the "old" cable, so I can only compare it to comments in this thread about the previous cable.

So yes, it appears that the "new" cable is superior to the "old" cable. I do not know if the inclusion of the "new" cable is what's being referred to as "2.0".

As far as the K5 vs the K3 Pro, they each have their strengths. I definitely like the K3 Pro - it's no slouch. But the K5 beats it out IMO assuming you have a good cable and choose the right tips that provide a good seal. If you are in the market, and it was down to the K3 Pro or K5, I would go with the K5.

Be aware that I've not heard the K3 HD model though, so I don't know how that stacks up to the K5. But from numerous comments on the K3 thread, the HD version is definitely superior to the Pro model.

As always, YMMV and you should take my word for a grain of salt. I have not experienced any of the hiss or sensitivity issues some people are talking about.

Thank you very much for explanation.

Sure K3 HD and K5 are successors of K3 Pro but I am not sure if I would like K3 HD or K5 at the same level :) Of course I need to test before speaking but...

People saying HD is more V shaped. I like current situation between frequencies on K3 Pro, I don't need a more V shape signature. What K3 Pro gives is very tasty for me.

Also I did not like to hear K5 has a lower impedance and a noticably higher sensitivity this is not good for me (because of sources I am using). And, I did not like K5 does not have DD driver.

Anyway, I hope I can listen both in time. Currently reviews and impressions around could not convince me to get a K3 HD or K5. To be an upgrade, I am looking forward more reviews of LZ A5. LZ A5 is a 1 DD + 4 BA driver and also resides in "K3 Pro like" case that I like so much.

Jan 19, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #90 of 197
I received mine burned in for 24 hrs and change cable. Astonishing capabilities at this price range.

Using these with an AP200 combo

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180119_111639.jpg
    MVIMG_20180119_111639.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back