Made a mistake now need to find some headgear that fits my varied needs :(
Sep 25, 2012 at 1:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Privia2u

New Head-Fier
Okay, so I have spent awhile pouring over the forum, reading reviews, looking at prices and I just cannot decide. It's very difficult to make a decision when you cannot test the headphones out. 

I bought some able planet clear harmony NC1000C after my friend showed me their Bose QC-15's and I realized I wanted something similar, but the price tag of the QC-15's really smarted my student non-parent sponsored pocket book. While the Able Planet's aren't terrible they don't even touch the QC-15's ability to noise cancel or even really muffle. I have to play music for that to happen. Unfortunately it makes a lot of cracks and pops in my ears and if I'm listening to something that is on it's power source it buzzes about 50% of the time. This is incredibly aggravating when I'm trying to play my piano that HAS to be connected to a power source. I read the reviews of the Able planet and it had really positive reviews (on the surface) and so now I'm asking for help since this is beyond my capabilities. 

I have a few varied uses/needs for these headphones. 

- I am a pianist - I own a Casio Privia Px-120 that has gotten me through many a stressful situation since I'm 2000 miles away from my acoustic piano. Playing is a big de-stresser for me. 

- I prefer noise canceling so I can use them doubly to study quietly. I am one of those people that is so easily distracted that I need to study in absolute silence. It sucks. Especially since Libraries are no longer the quiet sanctuary that they used to be. I cannot study to music like a lot of other people can, I get too into the music. Thank you adhd. 

- Minimize noise leakage - I work at a hospital so my work shifts are frequently all over the place and sometimes my waking hours are too, so in an effort to not bother my roommates I would like to be able to play the piano without bugging them. I do like the over the ear of the able planets, My ears don't have a problem getting hot or anything, I'm one of those people that rarely gets hot. 

- Music I like: Pretty much everything except metal. However, I really love classical music, opera, composed music (trailer music, sound track scores). This is by far what I listen to the most. I listen to pop tracks primarily when I'm running so those won't really factor in as I use in ear buds for that (any good suggestions for in ear buds too? With a mic preferably because of phone calls).

- Cost - I would LOVE to keep it under $150 since I already bought the able planet's, but will go as high as $200. Again I'm a poor student that works my ass off trying to make it with 3-4 hours of sleep a night to get everything done so it would be awesome not to cut heavily into the money I put away for savings each month (money to be used to visit my family for Xmas).

- I will likely plug it into my iphone, ipad, iPod classic, macbook air, etc etc. Nothing crazy on this end. I like to record lectures so I also will use the headphones to listen to those as well.  

Question: Would it just be better to get a set of headphones that has great sound quality and minimal sound leakage for playing the piano and a pair of noise canceling in ear buds for the quiet study time? I have small ear canals so I actually have never been able to really use those horrible apple in ear buds. I currently use the Sony MDR-EX38's for my in ear buds, I like them alright. I run everyday with them. 

Ugh. I feel like I have spent so much time researching and am even more confused. I was going to get the Audio Technica M-50's but I cannot get a definitive review about their noise cancellation, and I would love to not have to connect myself with a cord all the time when just using them for quiet study. Also was looking at the V-Moda Crossfade LP2... I really cannot decide. 

I hope I covered anything that might be helpful for suggestions. I apologize for the length.

Thanks so much for any help guys! :)

Sep 25, 2012 at 8:31 PM Post #3 of 3
akg k390nc for noise cancel iems, their NC feature is great for my taste and i commute all the time. i managed to borrow a pair for a week few months ago. around 120-150usd

for headphones, a modded t50rp will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back