MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Apr 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #916 of 1,382

Quote:
$30-40 seems about right for a GE TMBP. The Sylvania Black Plates are the best I heard for the Mapletree but they're almost twice as expensive and only slightly better.

I have to agree. The Sylvanias I had were more refined but the GE TMBP had more punch to it. I preferred the dynamic range of the GE and that's why I sold off the Sylvania. Luckily the Ear+ HD only needs one tube. Pretty inexpensive to tube roll. 

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #917 of 1,382

Quote:

I have to agree. The Sylvanias I had were more refined but the GE TMBP had more punch to it. I preferred the dynamic range of the GE and that's why I sold off the Sylvania. Luckily the Ear+ HD only needs one tube. Pretty inexpensive to tube roll. 

My favourite tubes with my (now sold) Ear+HD was the Sylvania black plate triple mica. Simply an outstanding tube.

Apr 20, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #918 of 1,382

Quote:

My favourite tubes with my (now sold) Ear+HD was the Sylvania black plate triple mica. Simply an outstanding tube.

Glad they weren't my thing at the time. A little too pricey for a 5751. 
tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #922 of 1,382
I received my new  Ear+ HD Super 2.  Sounds awesome, of course.  

Here is the amp chassis

Here is a picture of the guts of the actual amp chassis.  

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #925 of 1,382
I have an idea (perhaps is well trod.. ) as to why the mapletree ear seems to be considered the best all tube (excluding rectification) headphone amp for grado.  

Of the non-hybrid tube amps I am aware of, the mapletree has by far the lowest output impedance:

1. 1.3 ohms for the Super 2.   
  2. 7 ohms for the Ear+HD 
  3. 28 ohm out for the DNA sonett 
  4.  ~15 ohm (per ken rockwell's measurements) perhaps 32 ohm per other interactions people have had with Woo ( http://www.head-fi.org/t/428570/woo-audio-amp-owner-unite/15540#post_7881302 )

Per the discussion of headphone impedance on head-fi http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-impedance you want at least a 10 to 1 ratio between headphone and amp.

Now I know by sound all of those other amps are supposed to sound great (haven't heard them,) but anyway this is my observation of the circumstances on paper.

Am I way off base here?

thanks

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #927 of 1,382
so i have rs-1 and just received a mad ear+ hd used
i notice that the sound quality is only good before 11 oclock volume
the punchy bass doesnt seem to increase after 9~10 oclock volume
is this normal? or do i have to upgrade the tubes?

Jul 8, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #930 of 1,382
Quote:
I don't remember ever having that issue.  But I don't think I'd ever go past 9 or 10 with RS-1's installed anyway - but it still doesn't sound right...???

it sounds excellent
i think my rs1 sounds more clear and fast on schiit asgard
and it sounds more watery or airy and comfortable
everyone says mad ear+ hd is the best amp for rs1 but sometimes i like asgard better
i want to try woo audio 2 sometime
wa2 seems like a better function as preamp than mad ear as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back