MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Mar 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #901 of 1,382
I do not own the LCD-2 and never heard them but based on the review and comments I have read I woud think they would be better with an SS amplifier. Don't get me wrong I own a MAD and love it but a favor headphone with happy treble so it work out. I own a Centrance DACmini with the 1 ohm option and the previous owner was using it with his LCD-2 and it seem to be a popular combo. Just my 2 cents. :D

Update, after letting the amp burn in for the day yesterday, and changing the 5751s, the LCD-2s sound so much better then last night.  So, I'm using the Genalex Gold Line GL84s and GE 5751 TMBP halo top getters.  As an aside, I found that the LCD-2 head positioning makes a huge difference in the sound sign.  I guess it's more specific & pronounced to Orthos.

Mar 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #902 of 1,382
There's a substantial number of people using the LCD-2's w/ tubes.  Judging by the LCD amping thread I'd say at least 50%.  I personally use my little MAD Ear with them.  I realize I'm in the minority but that doesn't affect my listening enjoyment.

Mar 20, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #903 of 1,382
Justed added a pair of T1s to the mix.  Wow.  These sound amazing on the Super.  Using the Hi Z output.  Great balance and better soundstage.  Sounds more balanced then the RS1s.  The LCD-2s sound OK on the Super, but still sound much better on my Audiolab 8000 SS pre-amp.  Right now, it's T1, LCD-2 on pre-amp, and RS1s in order of sonics.  One is probably going to have to go. 

Mar 26, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #905 of 1,382
Just wanted to let you guys know I am selling a Mad Ear + HD in the for sale forums:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/602432/maple-tree-audio-mad-ear-hd-like-new-excellent-condition-over-300-in-extras

Mar 31, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #906 of 1,382
wow, I really thought the custom line switcher on the MAD Ear would be a hit but not a single comment. Granted, it's an expensive switch but It's working pretty well for me and makes trying out different gear pretty easy. I also like the look of the 2 match components.

Apr 1, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #907 of 1,382
I love the MAD line router and if I need one in the future I will definitely buy one. Instead when I ordered my Ear+HD I asked Dr. Peppard to put a toggle switch on the back so that the two source inputs would be selectable. One input is analog for my turntable and the other input is digital which runs from my DAC and I can use it to select whether it's my cd player, apple TV (streaming), or direct from MBP through Decibel player. Works perfect. I absolutely love MAD gear and would love to build an entire system using his gear in the future. 

Quote:
wow, I really thought the custom line switcher on the MAD Ear would be a hit but not a single comment. Granted, it's an expensive switch but It's working pretty well for me and makes trying out different gear pretty easy. I also like the look of the 2 match components.

Apr 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #908 of 1,382
For you MAD owners, I am selling a MAD Line Router:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604859/mapletree-audio-lr-1-i-o-line-router-4x2-audio-switch

Apr 17, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #909 of 1,382
I’m in the mood for some tube rolling, and I went over to Tubeworld to have a look. I think I’m going for the “5751 GE Black Plates and triple mica 1950's” – but, since I don’t really know what to look for it’s hard to justify some of the price tags. I’m fine paying 70-80$.

If somebody can provide me with some general guidelines when choosing between the listed tubes I would greatly appreciate it : )

- Platinum low noise tube $175) JG-5751 GE black plates triple mica "D" getter halo NOS 1953 original tan military box 1-5% section balance, smeared printing
(2.68/2.77ma)

- Platinum low noise tube $185) JG-5751 GE black plates triple mica "D" getter halo NOS 1955 original tan military box 5% section balance (2.8/3.0ma) (best single) (slightly smeared printing)

- Kuhl-Tube cryo platinum low noise tube $185) 5751 GE "5 STAR" black plates triple mica "U" getter halo NOS 1959-1960 in white box (3.52/3.6ma) (recommended)

- Platinum tube low noise tube $119) JG-5751 GE black plates triple mica "D" getter halo low hours/tests like new 1957 in white box, faded printing (3.23/3.33ma)

- Platinum low noise tube $99) JG-5751 GE black plates triple mica "U" getter halo used/tests like new 1957-1958 smeared printing, reboxed (3.0/3.12ma)

- Platinum low noise Kuhl-Tube cryo $75) 5751 GE black plates triple mica "D" getter halo used/good 1950's no printing (2.4/2.45ma)

- Platinum low noise tube $75) 5751 GE black plates triple mica "D" getter halo used/good 1950's no printing (2.6/2.7ma)

- Tube $20) 5751 GE black plates triple mica no printing "U" getter 1950's slightly microphonic and mis-matched sections (2.27/3.12ma) (50%/100%)

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #910 of 1,382
For what it's worth I'm listening to the MAD Ear+ HD as well with the RS-1 and my tube is the 5751 GE black plate triple mica. I can't remember whether it's the D getter or the U getter because it's been so long since I've bought that tube (I think it was back in 2009). To my ears it sounded fantastic, and I even sold the Sylvania triple mica black plate gold pins (which were supposedly one of the best 5751s). I would seriously doubt the benefits of Cryo for tubes and you can look to eBay for some deals on such tubes. The good thing about the Ear+ HD is that you only have to get one 5751 so you don't have to worry about buying matched pairs. The price should come down significantly since the tubes don't have to be matched. I'm not quite sure about the 5 star variant mine is just the regular black plate triple mica.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #911 of 1,382
Thanks, for the advice. I really appreciate it, and it sorted out some of the tubes in the list.
When I have some time off I’ll do some research regarding U vs D getter, “5 star” vs “no star” and finally the significance of cryo-treatment. I know a little about cryo-treatment in other cases, but not some much regarding tubes.

Maybe, I should just e-mail Tubeworld and ask why for instance: Kuhl-Tube cryo platinum 5751 GE "5 STAR" black plates triple mica "U" is recommended and how it stands compered to D/U getter JG-5751 GE black plates triple mica's for 75-99$.

Apr 18, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #912 of 1,382
No problem, glad to be of help. However, I still find Tubeworld's prices a little steep I don't remember paying more than $40 for my triple mica black plate when I bought it from eBay. Although your results may vary since it's hard to discern the quality when you purchase from eBay, so Tubeworld is a more reliable source in a sense.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #913 of 1,382
Yep, the prices seem a bit over the top. I bought a well-received tube for my Havana DAC 1-2 years ago from Tubeworld and back then the prices were somewhat more justifiable. Maybe the tube-market is a bit on the dry side at the moment. I can try to find something on eBay, but as you said it isn’t as reliable. A tube in my interest may although pop up here on headfi : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back