MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Apr 1, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #766 of 1,382
ok another partially applicable tube question.  I just picked up the Gold Lion tube and wanted to know if this was normal- it has no glow whatsoever and the gain is very low.  It sounds pretty good but with HD650's I have the volume up past 3:00 (almost maxed out) which is a significant jump up from normal.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #767 of 1,382
ok another partially applicable tube question.  I just picked up the Gold Lion tube and wanted to know if this was normal- it has no glow whatsoever and the gain is very low.  It sounds pretty good but with HD650's I have the volume up past 3:00 (almost maxed out) which is a significant jump up from normal.

That's normal about the lack of glow. But you should hear a lot more volume than a standard 5751 tube. Are you sure its the 12AX7 and not the 12AU7?

Apr 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #768 of 1,382

Quote:
Ugh, you guys are making me empty my wallet.  I purchased a GE 5-star and Raytheon windmill getter 5751 to start my tube rolling adventures.  And I'm seriously grappling with whether to snap up a Sylvania 3 mica BP/GP and/or a Tung Sol.  Thanks go to Twinster, MacedonianHero, and eucariote for the suggestions.

If it helps, the three tubes you are considering have pretty different sounds. The Sylvania 3mbp are very neutral and transparent- they are the brightest tube I own and I use them to complement slow/warm headphones like HD600.  Sylvania 3mgp are warmer and soften the treble a bit- perfect for mellowing headphones with a brighter signature and what I use with Grado RS-1 and Ultrasone Edition 8.  Tung Sol are my warmest, most syrupy tube, and what I use for taming headphones with intense treble, like DT770-80 & Denon D7000. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #770 of 1,382

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Sylvania 3mbp are very neutral and transparent- they are the brightest tube I own and I use them to complement slow/warm headphones like HD600.  Sylvania 3mgp are warmer and soften the treble a bit- perfect for mellowing headphones with a brighter signature 

That pretty much mirrors my experience with the Sylvania's, though I don't find the black plates bright, just relatively neutral and detailed compared to the others. I find the grey plate to be a bit too warm for my taste (too the point where it almost drowns out the details) which is why I prefer the black plates. The GE TMBP's (one of my favorites and my reference tube) come very close, but the Sylvania is just a tiny bit better. I have a Raytheon WMG too, but those hardly get any use. 

Apr 4, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #771 of 1,382
While we're on the subject of the Sylvania 5751 TMBP, does anyone find that it has slightly recessed vocals? I have it in my Ear+ HD and listening with my RS1i's, I can swear that the vocals aren't as loud as they should be (relatively to the rest of the music). It's less apparent with my HD600 and DT880, I guess maybe the RS1i's narrower soundstage points it out more? But I'm not crazy, it definitely has this effect vs. the other 5751 tubes I own (GE JG-5751 TMBP and RCA Command 5751).

Apr 9, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #772 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:

That's normal about the lack of glow. But you should hear a lot more volume than a standard 5751 tube. Are you sure its the 12AX7 and not the 12AU7?

Ok, good call.  I was thinking 'I obviously know what tube to order.'  Then I checked my receipt and it was correct but then I checked the actual tube and I did have the wrong one.  It has been replaced now and the gain is back where it's supposed to be and the tube sounds great.

Apr 9, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #773 of 1,382
Ok, good call.  I was thinking 'I obviously know what tube to order.'  Then I checked my receipt and it was correct but then I checked the actual tube and I did have the wrong one.  It has been replaced now and the gain is back where it's supposed to be and the tube sounds great.

Glad to hear that things finally got sorted out. :smile:

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:05 PM Post #774 of 1,382
Hi guys, I bought the MAD Ear + Super II recently and I'd like to try different tubes. What kind of tubes I can put on? Only the 5751 and the EL84?
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #775 of 1,382
Hi guys, I bought the MAD Ear + Super II recently and I'd like to try different tubes. What kind of tubes I can put on? Only the 5751 and the EL84?
confused.gif

Up front, you have 12AX7, 5751, 7025 and a couple others that are all more or less variations on the same tube. See this link: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

In the back, you have mostly EL84s to choose from, but 6BQ5, 7189/7189A and 6P14P variations are all direct replacements. Again, these are essentially the same tubes with slight differences.

Honestly, you are a bit limited in terms of varieties you can use in the Super II -- but IMO this is more than compensated for by the availability and quality of the tubes that Lloyd chose for this amp.

Apr 21, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #776 of 1,382
I just received the Mad Ear from Lloyd. He shipped in Tuesday, I got it Thursday. That was fast.
First impression. Physically, it's tiny. I expected bigger, larger, and wider.
Second, it's brighter than I thought. I expected warmer. Edit: this was from HI Z jack.
From the LO Z jack, it seems smoother and warmer. Much better.
This is all from AKG K702. Will let it burn in while my Grado RS1 is in repair.

I think my Audio Gd C-2.1 amp kind of spoiled me. Otherwise, I would have been really blown away.
But it's still in the burn in process so...I'm expecting more.
Also, having had the woo audio 6 in the past...the sound is a little little less forward or dynamic but it's more pleasant.

Nevertheless...so far...NICE. :)

Apr 22, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #777 of 1,382
I haven't noticed the Hi Z jack being brighter than the Lo Z, main difference for me is a touch more gain and flabbier bass (with RS1, sounds great with K601) with Hi Z.

"Bright" is not a word I'd associate with the Ear+ HD.  For me, it's just on the sweet side of neutral.  Your amp may just need more burn in.

Apr 22, 2011 at 2:41 PM Post #779 of 1,382
I think it was my expectation.  If I was expecting bright or neutral, my first impression would have been, this is warm and lush amp.
But because I was overly expecting a warm and lush sound, my impression was, this is bright.  I should have said, brighter than I expected, not that it is a bright amp.  By no means.
To me when I think of bright amp, I think of Nuforce HDP.

Apr 23, 2011 at 5:40 AM Post #780 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:
confused.gif

Up front, you have 12AX7, 5751, 7025 and a couple others that are all more or less variations on the same tube. See this link: http://www.vacuumtubes.com/12ax7.html

In the back, you have mostly EL84s to choose from, but 6BQ5, 7189/7189A and 6P14P variations are all direct replacements. Again, these are essentially the same tubes with slight differences.

Honestly, you are a bit limited in terms of varieties you can use in the Super II -- but IMO this is more than compensated for by the availability and quality of the tubes that Lloyd chose for this amp.

Whoa, thanks, your reply is very exhaustive.
I have only one more question, when you say that these tubes are essentially the same you mean that, from the sonic point of view, they differ a little?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back