MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Feb 13, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #721 of 1,382
After some more listening I should state that the sound is not really distorted but broken up. When raising the volume when bass is playing is when the problem starts to really become apparent. When mostly playing highs the sound doesn't seem to be affected. Really weird.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #722 of 1,382
The blackgate upgrade includes 3 blackgates. (lucky you though! I couldn't afford them myself)

hmm.   Often if it's the Pot you can fully turn the dial back and forth (wipe) to clean up any dirt that's in there.  Though I think a dirty pot usually creates static not broken signals.  I'm assuming you tried both outputs and let the unit warm up, checked your source and connections and all that?

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #723 of 1,382
I tried multiple cables, sources, tubes and even put the gear on a different circuit in my house and still the same thing. The sound to some might sound like static (more like interference from another radio signal). This is a weird thought, but could it be that this specific amp is susceptible to wireless internet frequencies? I have three wireless access points in my house. Again, just trying to think way outside the box.

Also, I wanted to add that the output of the HD2 into another amp works perfectly. No distortion at any level. It seems to be only the phone outs.

Thanks again for your insight.

Feb 13, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #724 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At last I have a few tubes to roll on the HD2. My RS1 kicked the Sylvania Gold Brand to the curb and announced it's engaged to marry this one right here.

1024px

We have nearly the same rigs.  The WMG Raytheon is very nice with the RS1.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool :) I'm using the Corda Cross all the time, actually entertaining the thought of approaching Dr Peppard with request for a custom built Super II with this crossfeed filter. Dr Meier was a real gent and gave me a clear go ahead to that. Are you using the crossfeed function of the DA11 a lot?

I'll be getting backups for the single WMG Raytheon I bought. Very nice match indeed with the RS1 and really just a whole nother level compared to the Sovtek, which I find quite alright with the RS1 but there's no going back from the old windmill.

I've tried the crossfeed, but actually stick with the centered/unchanged stereo setting most of the time.  I'm not really a speaker person and mostly use headphones since a small kid and an early-to-bed wife entered the scene.  Haven't decided yet if the stereo is a guilty pleasure or how the engineers intended it.  Yeah, I like the Raytheon so much (like you, maybe more than GB) I also got a backup.

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #725 of 1,382
I got a wonderful surprise, my new MAD Eary+ HD!  It took 2 days to get here which was a nice surprise. It is absolutely beautiful - I may have to figure out how to take some good pics of it because none of the ones posted look even remotely as good as they should.

Though it does have 2 very tiny little 'spots' on the top where the paint isn't covering the back sheet metal.  Very tiny but now that I've seen them i notice them each time I look at it. 

I have done only a little burn in so far but so far it sounds great.  I just need to get my grado's back from being modded - ugh.  I think this is certainly going to be one of my favorite toys,  But that means now I have to move it to my main room instead of my office so I can show it off!

And yes, if it wasn't for headfi I'd still be happily using my e9!!!

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #726 of 1,382
Lucky dog!  Yours must've been the Ear+ HD in front of mine in the queue.  I'm getting the kit and I was hoping Dr Peppard would throw the parts together in a bag while he was making your amp but no dice.  Shouldn't be long now anyways, but dang I'm salivating.  I even bought a used Grado RS-1 in anticipation.  Considering all the stellar comments about synergy with MAD I couldn't resist when I came across it in the classifieds.  Head-fi, my wallet curses you.
gs1000.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM Post #727 of 1,382
That was me.  I was also surprised that kit orders didn't just get sent out.  I would have loved to have built mine too, but I guess I just wanted to make sure it was perfect.  I've looked into cheaper kits just for the experience in building it...but that's a big research topic and I don't know what I'd do with it when I was done.

Good luck on yours!  There have been a few people who came on here saying they would document their build process but I never noticed any of them coming back to post pics and tell how it was.

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:16 AM Post #728 of 1,382
I love DIY.  There's nothing quite like it when you finish something and you turn it on for the first time, expecting it to blow up or at least make smoke, and it makes music.

I'll try and take some before, during, and after shots for this build.  And I'll definitely be back with listening impressions, even if this is my first desktop amp.  (My other amp is a DIY Decware portable.)

Feb 26, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #729 of 1,382
Hi All,

I just got back my MAD HD 2 Purist from Lloyd. I had him upgrade the Solen Caps to Auricaps and he found a few other things to repair. I powered the amp and let it warm up for an hour before testing. I'm still experiencing the same issue.

In one of his emails back to me he stated that I should have an ECC99 in the left tube socket, but I received it with a 12BH7A (and I have two other NOS 12BH7A's as well). Has anyone experienced an issue in using the 12BH7A in their MAD amp's?

Thanks
Thomas

Feb 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM Post #730 of 1,382
Quote:
I just got back my MAD HD 2 Purist from Lloyd. I had him upgrade the Solen Caps to Auricaps and he found a few other things to repair. I powered the amp and let it warm up for an hour before testing. I'm still experiencing the same issue.

In one of his emails back to me he stated that I should have an ECC99 in the left tube socket, but I received it with a 12BH7A (and I have two other NOS 12BH7A's as well). Has anyone experienced an issue in using the 12BH7A in their MAD amp's?

Thomas,

Its unfortunate that Lloyd has so many variations on his amps, because he sometimes changes tubes from design to design.  Nonetheless, 12BH7A's were commonly used by him in a lot of his HP amps.  He may have switched to using ECC99's, but you really need to check back with him.  Sometimes he seems a bit distracted to the details when he is doing repair work on older amps.

Good luck,

--Ken

Feb 28, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #732 of 1,382
Ooh very nice. I've been thinking about getting one of these... can anyone comment on sound and ease of build compared to Bottlehead stuff?

Mar 1, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #733 of 1,382
Can't comment on Bottlehead, but Lloyd's instructions seem very clear and well written.  I can see where things might start to get a little tight in such a small chassis, but I'll see when I get there.  Right now the first thing to do on this kit is to stain the wood panels, that's going to take a day or two for drying time.  Stay tuned for more pics.

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #734 of 1,382
Congrat on the MAD EAR+ !  I still enjoy mine very much. It's a very versatile tube amplifier that will drive and synergize well with low and high impedance headphones. Get yourself a nice Raytheon 5751 with Windmill Getter or GE 5* and sit back and enjoy!!

Mar 1, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #735 of 1,382
Well, I put a light stain on the wood, along with a couple coats of polyurethane, and sanded the panels nice and smooth.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out.  I was eager to get this done to get started on the rest of the amp, luckily the warm weather we've been having helped speed up the drying process. (If you order the kit with unfinished panels, you have to finish the wood and attach them first, because the screws become tough to reach once you start to wire the amp.)

Dr Peppard divided the construction of the amp into 4 phases.  Phase one involves installing a bunch of the mechanical bits and pieces that will be wired up later.  I just wrapped this up, putting in the tube sockets, RCA jacks, AC receptacle, power switch and led, headphone jacks, volume pot, and a couple of transformers.

Time to fire up the soldering iron!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back