MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Feb 5, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #706 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:
Please keep us posted. I'm curious to what you'll find.

Will do. It will probably take 3-4 weeks for everything to arrive but I'll report back here after giving it all a good listen. I will be A/Bing with a HA-160, with the loser going to the For Sale forums.

My money is on you keeping the MAD amp. But that's coming from a tube guy.

You should really hear the MAD with a pair of Grados (ideally RS1i's).
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 6, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #707 of 1,382

Quote:
My money is on you keeping the MAD amp. But that's coming from a tube guy.

You should really hear the MAD with a pair of Grados (ideally RS1i's).
evil_smiley.gif

I LOVED the RS1i's I heard through the Leben and HA-160 at a recent meet. I'm a guitarist and the guitar crunch was just amazing from them. The bass slam was also much better than I expected, and I didn't notice any harshness. Unfortunately there was no Ear+ HD around.

I would love a pair of RS1i's, and it was a toss up between the RS1i and the AD2000 for my new cans, but ultimately I went for the AD2000 as it's extremely versatile and I love my post-rock, so the airiness and soundstage of the AD2000 led me to go with the AT's. After my overseas trip next year I think the RS1i will be my next set of cans, when I have the money to spend :)

Feb 7, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #708 of 1,382
Has anyone listened to the GS1000 with the MAD Ear?  I'd really like to know your impressions as I am considering purchasing these phones.  I've searched the thread and found only a couple of brief impressions with the Super version of this amp.  I have a regular version (with BG caps in the ps).

Feb 7, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #709 of 1,382
Has anyone heard the Ear+ with sextetts? I'm thinking of trying out the kit one of these days.

Feb 7, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #711 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:
Has anyone heard the Ear+ with sextetts? I'm thinking of trying out the kit one of these days.

yes, it drove my k240 lp fine. I think I prefer solid state with the K240's though.

Really? My favourite combination with the my MP Sextetts is from my Bottlehead Crack+Speedball. I'm wondering if the Ear+ is a step up or not.

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #713 of 1,382
Just received my MAD HD2 the other day from a fellow head-fier but it came damaged. When raising the past nine o'clock heavy distortion fills my phones. I tried replacing both tubes, cords, and phones and still the same problem. I contacted Lloyd and he would like me to ship it to him for repair (and possibly upgrade).

Has anyone experienced this issue? I checked the cables and caps but all looks ok. Is there anything else I should check before shipping it back to the good doctor?

Thanks
Thomas

Feb 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #714 of 1,382
Wow, that's a horrible introduction to MAD amps.  I've wondered how safe it was to ship equipment like this - and I've tried to buy the last for 'for sale' amps myself.  Sorry, I don't have any advise for you but it is good to hear, once again, that MAD fully supports their customers - even if they're not the original purchaser.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #715 of 1,382
I was really hoping to post some comparison's to my other amps but I guess that will have to wait.

Compared to many other companies I've dealt with MAD's Dr. Peppard has shown great interest in his customers (and their feedback) and concern over all the products he distributes. My HD2 was slightly customized with dual outputs for both hi and low impedance phones (which he knew right from the beginning ). 

I believe my upgrade path will be the Blackgate Caps and DACT Attenuator. I wish he offered upgraded internal cables (silver would be nice) .

I'll post my review once I get it back.

Feb 12, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #716 of 1,382

Quote:
I was really hoping to post some comparison's to my other amps but I guess that will have to wait.

Compared to many other companies I've dealt with MAD's Dr. Peppard has shown great interest in his customers (and their feedback) and concern over all the products he distributes. My HD2 was slightly customized with dual outputs for both hi and low impedance phones (which he knew right from the beginning ). 

I believe my upgrade path will be the Blackgate Caps and DACT Attenuator. I wish he offered upgraded internal cables (silver would be nice) .

I'll post my review once I get it back.

I wouldn't worry, Dr. Lloyd is as good as it gets to customer care. He is a great guy to deal with and your amp is "in good hands".

Feb 12, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #717 of 1,382
Quote:
I contacted Lloyd and he would like me to ship it to him for repair (and possibly upgrade).

Is there anything else I should check before shipping it back to the good doctor?

Thomas,

I am assuming that you live in the US.  If so, note that shipping to Dr. Peppard is often not inexpensive.  As such, make sure that you fully explain the problem to him, and make sure has has extensively tested the amp before shipping it back to you.  A few "round-trips" can be frustrating and expensive.  Regarding upgrades, the myth/legend of Blackgate caps is quite powerful, but there are some considerations often not included in that price.  My unit had Blackgates, and Dr. Peppard offered me Panasonic caps as replacements when he thought there might have been a problem with them.  The local technician who installed them thought well enough of the Panasonic caps, and to paraphrase his words, "at least they do not take four hours to warm up to start sounding their best each time you turn on the amp."  Granted, that is his opinion, but he is one of the most sought after tube audio technicians in the Pacific Northwest, and he has probably forgot more technical information than most of us have learned in life.  I am not saying not to purchase them, but they generally not a cheap upgrade, and they may or may not deliver their signature sound improvements the way you might expect.

Good luck,

--Ken

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #719 of 1,382

Quote:
Quote:
At last I have a few tubes to roll on the HD2. My RS1 kicked the Sylvania Gold Brand to the curb and announced it's engaged to marry this one right here.

1024px

We have nearly the same rigs.  The WMG Raytheon is very nice with the RS1.  
smily_headphones1.gif

Cool :) I'm using the Corda Cross all the time, actually entertaining the thought of approaching Dr Peppard with request for a custom built Super II with this crossfeed filter. Dr Meier was a real gent and gave me a clear go ahead to that. Are you using the crossfeed function of the DA11 a lot?

I'll be getting backups for the single WMG Raytheon I bought. Very nice match indeed with the RS1 and really just a whole nother level compared to the Sovtek, which I find quite alright with the RS1 but there's no going back from the old windmill.

Feb 13, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #720 of 1,382
Now that I'm thinking about upgrades I just came across the manual (containing the parts as well) of my amp. It looks like the 47uf/25v caps are black gates and the 30uf/400v caps are solens.

It's really driving me crazy (since I've never been shipped a damaged unit) that I'm getting sound but gets distorted after a certain point. Could it be possible that its the Alps POT?

I've included photos that hopefully might give some insight on something that I've overlooked. (I've tried other tubes not just the Sovtek in the photo).

Thanks
Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back