MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Apr 2, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #571 of 1,382
I have a pair of Sylvania GB grey plates and a single black plates in the mail. I still can't believe going better from my current Raytheon WMG.

Apr 2, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #572 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a pair of Sylvania GB grey plates and a single black plates in the mail. I still can't believe going better from my current Raytheon WMG.

Just popped in a NOS Raytheon WMG yesterday and it's a superb tube indeed. Out of the 4 tubes I've rolled so far this one is the favorite with the Sylvania black plate 3 mica a close second.

Apr 2, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #573 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zai /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got in my collection of 5751 tubes for my Ear+ HD, multiple Sylvania grey and black plate (double and triple mica), and Raytheon TMBP and WMG. Between these various tubes, my assessment is that the differences between them can best be characterized as just that, differences, rather than that one is "better" than another. That said, each listener will decide which particular set of capabilities and limitations in each tube works best in their own rig and to their own ears and music/listening preferences. They are all very competent tubes in the Mapletree Ear+ HD to portray the facets of music which, many have posted in many a forum, make a real difference in how we intuitively relate to the music, and in how our lives are enriched by it.

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #575 of 1,382
Hey guys, SN #1001000 Ear+HD Super II just arrived
smily_headphones1.gif

Seems a bit bright, but then I'm running it off an HDP DAC and I quite literally turned it on about a minute ago for the first time. I'm going to let it warm up for an hour, but until then, might as well see about tube selection
smily_headphones1.gif

What's the tube that'll give me the quintessential "tube" sound? Warm, syrupy, lush and all that. Lloyd suggested I try Mullard 5751's. I couldn't find NOS 5751's, but I did find the following two:
A Groove Tube 5751 Mullard Reissue
Amazon.com: Groove Tube 5751 Mullard Reissue Preamp Tube: Musical Instruments

A New Sensor corp 12AX7 Mullard Reissue
Mullard 12AX7 Guitar Amplifier Vacuum Tube

Naturally, I like that the New Sensor has the old Mullard look, but it's 12AX7 with the extra gain that it entails, not to mention I think Lloyd said 12AX7 in general was sonically inferior I think?

The Groove Tube, I'm a bit wary of since according to this description of the GT Mullard 12AX7 reissue:
Preamp Tube - 12AX7C Groove Tubes brand
It's just a generic 12AX7 Chinese, and I'm worried the GT Mullard 5751 reissue follows the same M.O.

Oh yes, any opinions on what I should swap out the EL84 for in seeking the tube sound? I'm thinking of a reissue Mullard theme
smily_headphones1.gif

Mullard EL84 Tubes Matched Pair

Or maybe a reissue Gold Lion EL84?
Gold Lion EL84

Apr 5, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #576 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think what Zai was saying is that he can't imagine the tubes he has on the way sounding better to him than his Raytheon WMG. At least that's the way I took it.

Yeah that's it. The WMG is my current overall favourite and i'm actually hooked to it, but tend to swap for the 5751 GE's or the 12AX7s (Tung Sol and Shuguang) just to spot differences and sometimes find cool sinergies between some tracks/tubes.

Apr 5, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #577 of 1,382

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:01 PM Post #579 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by CountChoculaBot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, we're both correct
smily_headphones1.gif
The Ear+HD Super II has 2 EL84's and also 2 5751/12AX7's.

Oh and this thing is sounding pretty sweet through the T1 right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Yep, just realised that, your post crossed with my deletion!

Should get my kit for the HD this week so will then be trying a GE 5751 (NOS Cryo) and some 1956 Brimar 12AX7's I happen to have :)

ebay.co.uk have a lot of equivalents at the moment but some of the prices are a bit eye watering.

Apr 5, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #580 of 1,382
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Seems a bit bright, but then I'm running it off an HDP DAC and I quite literally turned it on about a minute ago for the first time. I'm going to let it warm up for an hour, but until then, might as well see about tube selection
smily_headphones1.gif

What's the tube that'll give me the quintessential "tube" sound? Warm, syrupy, lush and all that. Lloyd suggested I try Mullard 5751's.

Congrats on the new amp! I've been toying with the idea of ordering a new Super II but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm very curious to hear your opinion.

I have read of Dr. Peppard's preference for 5751s over 12AX7s on many occasions. I tend to agree with him, as I have personally found an early 60s NOS Sylvania JHS-5751 to be my preference in my Ear+ HD. I just picked up a NOS RCA 7025 (supposed to have the lushness of 5751s with the gain of 12AX7s), but I haven't listened enough yet to say for sure.

For the EL84s, I strongly recommend the reissue Gold Lions. They really brought my Consonance Cyber 20 to life -- much preferable to NOS Mullards, IMO, which sounded like I was listening through a sock.

Apr 6, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #581 of 1,382
Thanks for the heads up; the goal tube config is now Gold Lion EL84 + Sylvania 3MBP
smily_headphones1.gif

My impressions of the Super II thus far, after about 10 hrs burn in and a couple hours listen, are VERY optimistic. Versus the HDP, I can only give rough generalizations at this early stage, but overall everything's more natural, less fatiguing, and I think there's a very sweet, rosy feel to the sound. Enjoyment of music, the most important factor to me, is up.

Apr 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #582 of 1,382
Just got my new Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD Super (s/n 0204245). Red with Oak rails. Darn purdy, and it matches my other MAD gear.

The Ear headphone amp line has evolved, but my amp is like a missing link. This is an intermediate model, between the special edition HD250 and the latest Super II. Basically it's an Ear+ HD with the driver stage of the HD250 and the EL84 output tubes.

Mine will also be unique, because it's customized. Mine has Blackgates in the power supply -- something no longer available in the Super II. Of course, given the voltage ratings of the few BG's available, it had to have the voltages trimmed a bit compared to the HD250. Unlike the Super II, mine has one chassis whereas the Super II has a separate power supply (an improvment: that's an advantage for keeping the heat down and reducing the temperature extremes facing the power supply caps). Mine also has trimmer pots along with a master volume control, so I can compensate for my differential hearing acuity (partial deafness in one ear). Tube complement from Dr. Lloyd's lab = 2 "Tung-Sol" re-issue 12AX7's and 2 Electroharmonix EL84's. Solid-state rectification.

Currently burning it in. Will get back with impressions in a couple weeks. So far with my old HD580's/HD600's it sounds darn good, if a bit on the bright side.

Anyone else have one of these "odd duck" intermediate gen amps?

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #583 of 1,382
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif

What's the tube that'll give me the quintessential "tube" sound? Warm, syrupy, lush and all that. Lloyd suggested I try Mullard 5751's.

Congratulations on your new amp.
beerchug.gif

My experiences are pretty limited, but so far I'm finding my Tung-Sol 5751 (dmgp) to have a very warm and smooth sound. More than my Sylvania tmbp, Raytheon wmg and just a little more than my Sylvania dmgp. Tho the latter is very smooth too. The good Dr. Peppard's advice is worlds better, along with most other Mapletree owners, so poke around this thread. Enjoy!

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #584 of 1,382
Thanks for the advice. The Sylvania's seem to be a bit expensive so I might end up getting those.

Oh, and update on the Super II:
When I first got it and listened to it, I didn't think it was really worth the money and didn't sound like much of an improvement.

A mere 24 hours of burn in later, I don't even care about how much it cost me anymore. I just can't stop listening, it's so addictive
smily_headphones1.gif
T1 & Ear+ HD seems like a match made in heaven; now to just get one of Audio GD's DACs and I'll be set.

Apr 7, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #585 of 1,382
Quote:

Thanks for the advice. The Sylvania's seem to be a bit expensive so I might end up getting those.

Oh, and update on the Super II:
When I first got it and listened to it, I didn't think it was really worth the money and didn't sound like much of an improvement.

A mere 24 hours of burn in later, I don't even care about how much it cost me anymore. I just can't stop listening, it's so addictive
smily_headphones1.gif
T1 & Ear+ HD seems like a match made in heaven; now to just get one of Audio GD's DACs and I'll be set.

Would love to see some pics!
smily_headphones1.gif
This is a new look for Mapletree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back