MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:53 PM Post #541 of 1,382
I have heard that it may need some of that stuff. I will buy some stuff like that soon. You wouldn't believe how many things I need that it audio related right now
wink.gif
I can afford it all, but it means I cannot get a new graphics card for my computer, of which I have found a GREAT deal on
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #543 of 1,382
After weeks of research, I settled on the MAD Ear+ HD along with the Grado RS1i and iBasso D10 (as a DAC) for my first quality headphone setup. I ordered everything on Thursday.

I ended up ordering the MAD kit because it sounds fun to be able to build it myself. I've never done anything like this before so hopefully I don't screw it up too badly
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm obsessed with checking the queue to see what's going on with my amp. This is total OCD and unhealthy behavior.

Heh, it's been two days and I'm already doing this. The wait is going to be unbearable.

Mar 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #544 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After weeks of research, I settled on the MAD Ear+ HD along with the Grado RS1i and iBasso D10 (as a DAC) for my first quality headphone setup. I ordered everything on Thursday.

I ended up ordering the MAD kit because it sounds fun to be able to build it myself. I've never done anything like this before so hopefully I don't screw it up too badly
biggrin.gif

Heh, it's been two days and I'm already doing this. The wait is going to be unbearable.

Hey jasont, congratulations on your order. So you're the one with the kit at the very bottom of the queue.
tongue_smile.gif
Have fun building it and let us know how it goes. I for one will be very interested.

Lloyd just emailed to let me know my amp will be shipped on Wed. Yahhhh! Yeah, the wait was unbearable indeed.

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #545 of 1,382
Quote:

That is the setup I have on my desktop. You won't be disappointed.
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #546 of 1,382
Quote:

After weeks of research, I settled on the MAD Ear+ HD along with the Grado RS1i and iBasso D10 (as a DAC) for my first quality headphone setup. ...

NIiiiiiiiiice setup!!! With it, you can look forward to MANY enchanting hours spent deep inside your favorite music. For now, settle back and savor the anticipation while waiting for the items to arrive. It makes the awaited listening with everything together all the sweeter!

Mar 13, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #547 of 1,382
Quote:

Hey jasont, congratulations on your order. So you're the one with the kit at the very bottom of the queue.
tongue_smile.gif
Have fun building it and let us know how it goes. I for one will be very interested.

Lloyd just emailed to let me know my amp will be shipped on Wed. Yahhhh! Yeah, the wait was unbearable indeed.

Yup, that's me at the bottom, looking up at a lot of people ahead of me. The plan is to take lots of pics of the build progress to share here. Unless, of course, I'm bad at it. Then I just may just let the mess hide in the pretty case without showing anyone
wink_face.gif

Congrats on yours shipping. I look forward to your impressions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is the setup I have on my desktop. You won't be disappointed.
wink.gif

Heh, nice. I assume the D10 does a good job as a DAC in this setup? I'm sure I'll love it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NIiiiiiiiiice setup!!! With it, you can look forward to MANY enchanting hours spent deep inside your favorite music. For now, settle back and savor the anticipation while waiting for the items to arrive. It makes the awaited listening with everything together all the sweeter!

Thanks! Very true. Plus, I'll have the D10 to listen with until the MAD gets here. I'm sure that will sound pretty nice all by itself. Just not as nice as the MAD
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #549 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The D10 is a nice unit, how will you be feeding it? I mean via USB/Optical/Coaxial?

Either usb or optical from my Macbook Pro and also occasionally coaxial from my HD STB when I want to watch TV or a movie in silence. I understand that that will require cable juggling but the portability option was worth it to me.

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #550 of 1,382
Quote:

I'm obsessed with checking the queue to see what's going on with my amp. This is total OCD and unhealthy behavior.

And this will be your next obsession..
wink_face.gif

041smallcrop.jpg

Mar 14, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #551 of 1,382
tubes! I need to get some money to get back into that hobby. still about $200 worth that i want
biggrin.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #552 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by eucariote /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And this will be your next obsession..
wink_face.gif

041smallcrop.jpg

Hahaha Just saw this. Funny thing, I already have 8 tubes ready and 3 more on the way.
biggrin.gif

Anyone know approximately how long it should take for my Ear+ to get from MAD to Oregon? I thought I read somewhere that it takes 5 days to get to Cali, but it has already been 7 days, 6 days since it left Canada.

EDIT: I found it finally. 7 business days. Guess I won't have it until next week.

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #553 of 1,382
Quote:

I've never done anything like this before so hopefully I don't screw it up too badly
biggrin.gif

I built my first one (yes, more than one) a few years ago, and I hadn't built anything for a few decades. The instructions and diagrams are extensively detailed. The main points: get a decent 40 watt pencil iron, always heat the joint first then put in the solder, measure twice cut once, get a hemostat so that you can set the part on one end to make the first joint at the other end, run all wire straight and cross on 90 degrees (like in his photos of innards), go to RatShack and get a spool of heavy gauge (10 awg should do it) solid copper to attach the power supply caps (the caps won't flop around as a side benefit), orient the parts horizontally (there's a tendency to run straight up, or down depending on how you look, from the pins to the ground wire; this builds heat into the part) even though this will use more lead (shrink tubing from RatShack on the leads if you're concerned)

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #554 of 1,382
I appreciate the tips! Thanks for taking the time. I do have a couple of questions/comments is you don't mind....

Quote:

Originally Posted by robert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
run all wire straight and cross on 90 degrees (like in his photos of innards)...

I'm glad you mentioned this. I would have been tempted to make the wiring look pretty and might have screwed up because I didn't know this. But now that you say it, it makes perfect sense.

Quote:

go to RatShack and get a spool of heavy gauge (10 awg should do it) solid copper to attach the power supply caps (the caps won't flop around as a side benefit)...

So you're saying to use the 10 awg solid copper to wire the caps as opposed to whatever the Doc supplies?

Quote:

orient the parts horizontally (there's a tendency to run straight up, or down depending on how you look, from the pins to the ground wire; this builds heat into the part) even though this will use more lead...

I'm not sure I'm following you here. Can you explain?

Again, thanks very much for the info. I'll take any help I can get
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 26, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #555 of 1,382
Quote:

Hahaha Just saw this. Funny thing, I already have 8 tubes ready and 3 more on the way.
biggrin.gif

Anyone know approximately how long it should take for my Ear+ to get from MAD to Oregon? I thought I read somewhere that it takes 5 days to get to Cali, but it has already been 7 days, 6 days since it left Canada.

EDIT: I found it finally. 7 business days. Guess I won't have it until next week.

Bah, so you have to wait a couple of more days...

wink_face.gif
Just kidding, man. I'm just jealous because I still have a looooooong wait. How often are you tracking the shipment?
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back