MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Sep 4, 2009 at 10:10 PM Post #436 of 1,382
I knew that question was comming
smily_headphones1.gif
. My HD has a custom power supply, it is fairly similar to the one in the HD 250 prototype. I finished it a few weeks ago and to be honest I can't decide which one I like better. The B22 has a more neutral, precise and clean sound while the HD has a bit better dynamics, soundstage and bass. I compared my B22 to the Extreme before I sold it and the differences were similar but more pronounced. The Extreme was still more dynamic and bassier but it didn't have enough detail resolution. Obviously, sound quality is a very subjective matter so other people might find much bigger differences than I do.

I haven't sold the HD and I doubt I'll do it soon. In fact, I might sell the B22 before it to fund a new tube amp project. As much as I like it I can't keep building amps if I don't sell some of them
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #437 of 1,382
Well, as you can see from my sig, I'm the lucky owner of three SinglePower amps.
ph34r.gif

But I don't mind, as I'm going to have them 'fixed' within the next few months, and they do sound better than anything else I've heard so far. The only reason I'm getting the HD250 is because of the claim that since it doesn't have any electrolytic capacitors, it should last a lifetime. (And since my Concerto is out of commision for the moment - hopefully it can be fixed - and the Extreme is seriously lacking compared to the Concerto and MPX3, I wanted to try this limited addition amp.)

My Concerto has a tubed power supply, and I really like being able to tailor the sound by those tubes in addition to the input and output tubes.

If I don't like the HD250 and I can get my Concerto fixed, I guess I will be selling the HD250 fairly quickly. We'll see.

Sep 5, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #438 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, mine is #2 in the queue.
I noticed Afrikane has listening impressions posted on the Mapletree site, but not here. What gives?!
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm still very nervous that the amp is based on 12AX7's. I would feel more comfortable if it were using 6sn7's, 2c51's, or even 12AT7's.

I'm very excited/nervous as well. I'm #1 in the HD250 queue. The pics on the site are of my amp and that makes the wait even more painful. Llyod is just making a few last tweeks so it shouldn't be long now.

Now I just have to convince someone with some K1000s to drop in once I have the HD250 so I can see how those bad boys sound. Afrikane seemed to think they worked well with the prototype.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #439 of 1,382
I recently purchase the nos telefunken ecc83 and it is much better than the sovtek 5751. The electro harmonix that i have been using also sounds good in different way. I went to a local store to look for an nos tube and I told the owner that i would prefer an neutral tube. He recommended me the tekefunkens so I took his advice.

Sep 9, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #440 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbulack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a very nice find, BigAmish, and my thanks again for bringing this tube up on this thread. Eventually, I'll end up using other headphones with the Mad Ear+ HD using this tube. For now, though, with the HF-2/Jumbo pads, this tube represents a huge value for the level of realistically lifelike sonic quality it delivers at its very modest price ($20 with free shipping from sweetwater.com, at the time of this posting).

No problem. I'm just glad that what I was hearing wasn't all in my head! I bought mine from Sweetwater last year...$20 shipped was a deal I couldn't pass up as this is pretty cheap by tube-rolling standards.

Also, I didn't mention this in my previous posts but all of my GT-5751M listening was with my Grado RS-1s (w/ bowls). A really nice synergy here!

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #441 of 1,382
Ear+HD owners: Does anyone mate their amp with any Beyerdynamics (especially the 600 ohm version)? We all know the great synergy this amp has with low impedance cans but I am intrigued by the new T1 and wondering if this amp will have enough oomph to drive them.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #442 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ear+HD owners: Does anyone mate their amp with any Beyerdynamics (especially the 600 ohm version)? We all know the great synergy this amp has with low impedance cans but I am intrigued by the new T1 and wondering if this amp will have enough oomph to drive them.

I can't comment on the Beyer's cans, but my 300ohm HD650s are really, really good with the MAD Ear+HD. They sound full bodied with more volume that I need at 11 o'clock on the volume dial.

Sep 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #443 of 1,382
^I'don't have any Senns in the quiver but from reading the Ear+HD was voiced with a Senn HD600. I would love to purchase an HD800 or even a PS1000 but I will have to try to find a meet that will have them on hand before I drop the $'s

Sep 23, 2009 at 9:03 AM Post #444 of 1,382
My friend who listened to the RS1 and the AD2000 greatly preferred the AD2000, due to clarity issues. He said that the RS1 does not do well with very complicated music, or even slow music. He said it does best with very fast, basic music. Would you say the Mad Purist amp makes the RS1 sound clearer?

Sep 24, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #446 of 1,382
I'm pretty sure he was just using a portable microshar u107 amp with a pico dac? I think that's his rig. He said the AD2000 is more clear and impactful and less muddy than the RS-1 on that setup.

Oct 2, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #449 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the RS1 + Madpurist amp good for all genres, including rock, acoustic, reggae(bob marley), dance, electronica, and soul?

I use my MAD HD Super for all those genres (well, maybe not reggae) and find it holds up very good with all of them.

Oct 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #450 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the RS1 + Madpurist amp good for all genres, including rock, acoustic, reggae(bob marley), dance, electronica, and soul?

One word YES!!!

There is nothing the MAD amp can't handle and perform extremely well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back