MAD Ear+ Purist HD thread.
Aug 12, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #391 of 1,382
I fail at vbulletin. I thought I deleted that post. sorry. Good thing I reread your post. I actually almost just bought one until I realized you are currently using the sovtek's.

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #393 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by cheemo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well if you can wait, you may want to ask him all about the 250th edition run which is soon to be released and the differences compared to the Ear+.

But only 20 total to be assembled... How will he and I both get one?
frown.gif

I can't wait to hear impressions of this new 250. I'd love to get my hands on one, new or used.

Here's to hoping
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:16 AM Post #394 of 1,382
I'm not sure, it's gonna be pricey but who's to say the sound signature will be the same. Are you judging your basis of wanting on one the fact it's a MAD device entirely or on a technical reason. If either, do you think it will the sound the same or better in some way and why?

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #395 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by blargman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure, it's gonna be pricey but who's to say the sound signature will be the same. Are you judging your basis of wanting on one the fact it's a MAD device entirely or on a technical reason. If either, do you think it will the sound the same or better in some way and why?

As this is a Special Edition item I'm not sure i understand the tone of your question, but i'll say this..

I'm excited about this for a few reasons.

1. I'm happy with my current MAD and support their products.
2. Only a few will be made, so that alone increases their value as a collector's item.
3. Tube rectification not found in my current MAD amp
4. New tubes incorporated in this edition.

I have no idea if the new amp will sound better than the old Ear+ HD, but i can't wait to hear people's experience with the 250.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #396 of 1,382
No tone just was curious what you were basing your anxiousness on. Sorry if it sounded short or rude. I'm happily waiting for my ear+

I like your reasons, technical and just supportive of MAD as well. I was just curious if it was one or the other or both. I really don't know if it will indeed be any better or not either.

Aug 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #397 of 1,382
Quote:

No tone just was curious what you were basing your anxiousness on. Sorry if it sounded short or rude. I'm happily waiting for my ear+

I like your reasons, technical and just supportive of MAD as well. I was just curious if it was one or the other or both. I really don't know if it will indeed be any better or not either.

I guess i misinterpreted your intent. My apologies. I do hope you enjoy your MAD and will be interested to hear your opinions after listening. The MAD amps sound great stock, but tube rolling has been a fun (but expensive) experience. Happy Listening.
beerchug.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #400 of 1,382
Nice pics and setup pedalhead!

Any comments on synergy between the MAD and the HD800?

Also, did you get a chance to try the HD800 with the Headline2 before you sold it?

I saw that you have the UDAC/BUDA on order so I guess that, in combination with the selling of the Headline2 hint your impressions :wink:

Aug 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #401 of 1,382
Quote:

Originally Posted by snejk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice pics and setup pedalhead!

Any comments on synergy between the MAD and the HD800?

Also, did you get a chance to try the HD800 with the Headline2 before you sold it?

I saw that you have the UDAC/BUDA on order so I guess that, in combination with the selling of the Headline2 hint your impressions :wink:

Hi mate. Well, I got *very* little time listening to the HD800s via the Headline, as the buyer for the Naim picked it up shortly after the HD800s arrived. I always felt my Headline was being held back by it's PSU, and only ever sounded "ok" to me. I felt there was a congestion in the sound that really needed opening up, which I have read (not heard) a Naim PSU upgrade fixes. As I knew I wanted to go balanced at some point with these HD800s, I had already decided to sell the Headline...no point spending £££ on a PSU upgrade on a single-ended amp, and the Mapletree has always been my favourite of the two amps.

On the other hand, I am really enjoying the Ear+ HD2 and HD800 combo. I only have about 60 hours on the cans at the moment, but I'd say the slightly harsh top end out of the box is already calming down somewhat. I'm slightly reluctant to talk in terms of synergy just yet, as these HD800s are so far above my previous main headphones (HD600) that I really want to hear them through the BUDA first before deciding whether they are a particularly good match with the Mapletree. Essentially, I don't yet know just what these headphones are capable of, so I can't even say if the Mapletree is holding them back or not. Certainly, they're enormously revealing, no doubt about that, and a good quality recording sounds just sublime to my ears, but then this is essentially the best rig I've ever heard, so bear that in mind when considering my comments.

Overall, I am certainly not hearing any notable problems with this combination, but I'll reserve final judgement until I can compare more fully with the BUDA, and indeed switching DACs around (I'll be able to compare the CI Audio VDA2 and the Headroom UDAC). Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to playing around with all that gear & will report back accordingly
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #402 of 1,382
Thanks for your comments pedalhead! I completely understand your reluctance to a final comment on the combination, I often feel the same about giving audio-related advice. Since I haven't heard that many different combinations of amps and headphones it's hard to pass final/absolute judgements. The MAD certainly opened up a new world (not always necesarily better) compared to the Headline though, especially for the RS1, not as much for the GS1000.

Come to think of it, I don't think I have tried my HD650 with the MAD yet, need to do that!

Ooh, and slight OT regarding the PSU for the Headline, the only PSUs I have tried, and have, are the NAPSC2 and the Hicap (Olive). Switching between the two I could hear slight differences but not the "mindboggling" changes some people talk about. Maybe I have tin ears.... One funny thing though is that the Headline manages to drive my AKG K1000 a lot better than the MAD. I have the MAD Super which, if I'm not mistaken, has greater output (watts) than the regular MAD amps. Not sure about the specs for the Naim amp. The K1000 with the MAD is unlistenable but the Headline2 is quite decent up to a certain sound level but more than enough for me, sound level wize.

Well, enough OT ranting, looking forward to further comments on the MAD/HD800/HF2!

Aug 13, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #403 of 1,382
Dumb question but I need to have some interconnections from my dac to amp when the amp gets here. My DAC has rca and 1/8" outputs. What inputs does the EAR+ have?

Aug 13, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #404 of 1,382
Quote:

Dumb question but I need to have some interconnections from my dac to amp when the amp gets here. My DAC has rca and 1/8" outputs. What inputs does the EAR+ have?

Just regular RCAs will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back