"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Apr 3, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #4,741 of 6,388
Quote:
Well, I attached a leather headband then gave it to BMF. Any further fun will have to be done by him 
size]

I do have one extra T50rp shell laying around though. Maybe I should paint another one... 

"CopperHeads" ... Watch out, they bite. :)

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #4,742 of 6,388
Quote:
I guess it's kind of off-topic, but has anyone taken out and put back the adjustment bars?  I'm considering having them coated black so I have full-on darth dogs, but I'm kinda worried about the process.  It looks like the adjustment system relies on friction, so I'm hesitant to rip things apart since I'm not sure how snug it'll be when I put it back together.

just sand the gold off and polish them. They will look beautiful. will have pics of my project up on sunday.

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #4,743 of 6,388
That might have the opposite effect on the friction mechanism tho... You'd have to be careful you're only sanding down the anodized layer and not much more.

Pretty sure LFF sells a Paradox model with black arms tho (or were they silver?), so it's definitely double, just have to know what you're doing. :p

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #4,745 of 6,388
Approximately 6 hours of critical listening so far (instead of making up all my school work), 3 hours yesterday, 3 hours today. Mad Dogs w/ Alpha Pads vs HE-400s. Still can't decide. Amping via Xonar DG to E9.

Pros of HE-400:
Spacious / airy aka sounds more clear
Bass, for obvious reasons
Pretty

Pros of Mad Dogs:
Fuller mids (though subjective on which is better, IMO both have their ups and downs. HE-400 is natural sounding despite being further back, though female vocals are sometimes more sibilant).
More accurate bass (subjective, HE-400 more fun, Mad Dogs more accurate. I like both).
Comfort/closed

Cons of He-400:
The freaking treble

Cons of Mad Dogs:
The congested sound/feeling. Despite this though, sometimes I feel like I can hear more detail in some songs with the Mad Dogs, though overall due to the airy/spacious feeling of the HE-400s they seem to have more overall detail.
Not so pretty.

2 hours ago I was leaning towards the HE-400, but now it's even. If I get the Mad Dogs now, I could keep them as my closed/comfort when I spend $700+ on open HPs (HE-400s have cons that HE-500 / LCD2r2 seem to remedy), but I still want the best sounding HP for under $400 until I upgrade, which seems to be HE-400 vs Annies which I'm hoping to try soon. And for gaming, which the Mad Dogs would seem to lack (other than VOIP). Fun.

Congested is not a word that I would use to describe the Mad Dogs. I've seen a few descriptions of the Mad Dogs' sound stage as congested, small, or merely "good for a closed headphone", but in it's current configuration (Alpha Pads) I just don't get that. If the HE-400 has soundstaging and imaging capabilities anywhere near the HE-6, then I could certainly see them beating the Mad Dogs. However, the Mad Dog is no slouch, and I find it gives up very little to Audeze in soundstage and might even beat their offerings on imaging (I do find that my LCD-3 sits behind the HE-6 and HD800 in this department).

And I hope I don't come off as railing on you or anything. I just want to make sure that the lurkers don't just see the "congested" depictions and take it as gospel (my opinions shouldn't be taken that way either).

Apr 4, 2013 at 12:54 AM Post #4,746 of 6,388
I feel that even with the Alpha Pads, the sound is decidely closed and not very dimensional. It sounds like basically any closed headphone ive heard in terms of soundstage depth and width. The Fostex Denons and DT770s are the only closed headphones I've heard that curb that stereotype.

It's not a knock against the MD. It's just what's to be expected out of closed headphones that isolate this well.

Apr 4, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #4,747 of 6,388
I feel that even with the Alpha Pads, the sound is decidely closed and not very dimensional. It sounds like basically any closed headphone ive heard in terms of soundstage depth and width. The Fostex Denons and DT770s are the only closed headphones I've heard that curb that stereotype.

It's not a knock against the MD. It's just what's to be expected out of closed headphones that isolate this well.

Well, aside from listening to more different music than not and (presumably) not having the same shaped ear canals and whatnot, I'll respectfully disagree and leave it at that.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM Post #4,751 of 6,388
Anybody on this thread enjoy folks-y sounding J-pop? Just got an album on Bandcamp that's blowing my mind with the Mad Dogs and Alpha Pads.

http://shugotokumarumusic.bandcamp.com/album/in-focus

You guys all owe it to yourselves to give this album a listen. Incredible.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #4,752 of 6,388
Quote:
2 hours ago I was leaning towards the HE-400, but now it's even. If I get the Mad Dogs now, I could keep them as my closed/comfort when I spend $700+ on open HPs (HE-400s have cons that HE-500 / LCD2r2 seem to remedy), but I still want the best sounding HP for under $400 until I upgrade, which seems to be HE-400 vs Annies which I'm hoping to try soon. And for gaming, which the Mad Dogs would seem to lack (other than VOIP). Fun.

What are Annies?
Google doesn't help.

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:33 AM Post #4,753 of 6,388
AKG K702 Anniversary Edition. The change to memory foam pads gives the K702 a warmish side of neutral sound sig, with rich bass, mids, and non-fatiguing treble. Sound like something? Well, no. The Annie's soundstage is leaps and bounds better than the MD.

Those who like the MD would like the Annie, of this I have no doubt.

Mad Dog with soundstage comparable to the D7000? There's one thing I completely disagree with. Not even close, IMHO.

Apr 4, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #4,755 of 6,388
The soundstage as in width and depth is almost at the level of DT880 and K701, but none closed headphone will have the same soundstage as a open headphone. As for gaming the 360 degree imaging is excellent and it is perfect for gaming when you need a closed headphone. To many exaggerate the difference in headphones on soundstage, it iseasy to check on some good binaural tracks to test the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back