"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Feb 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3,271 of 6,388
Of course, it's night and day to me because the DP's actually caused me physical discomfort after about an hour (I understand I may be a minority in this respect). It was a much better fit for me personally.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #3,272 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Lots of people saying the comfort is substantially different or WAY more comfortable. Night and day sort of stood out as a good phrase. Wasn't singling you out or anything. :)

Just making sure. I was the only one who used the term, so forgive my aspersions.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #3,273 of 6,388
I do apologize for that. I could see how it could be interpreted as such.

Feb 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #3,274 of 6,388
or,you can say:

dayandnightdayandnightdayandnight
Thats what I say ,when I really wan to bug him------LOL

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #3,275 of 6,388
There was an extra set of Alpha pads in my mailbox this evening, although I just purchased my Mad Dogs on Feb. 2nd and they already came with the Alphas installed. Sent an email to Matt. Probably just keep them as a spare set and send Mr. Speaker some money for them rather than return the pads. I will wait for Dan to reply to my email.

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #3,276 of 6,388
Quote:

Well, I was away for most of the weekend, so I didn't want to post anything too long winded, but:

I have also had these pads now for a little bit of time. I'll go ahead and give my impressions here after many many hours of listening:

New pads presents a much stronger and a clearer case of treble and midrange. Midrange has especially gained a noticeable increase in quantity and quality. It has more texture and more detail. The treble is also clearer and not as muddled over by the bass. The bass has taken a step back around 100Hz, and it's not as bloomy overall. The bass is smoother overall tighter, controlled and really for intents and purposes can only be described as sounding "ortho". The texture and detail in bass is really hard to get from a dynamic driver, and the new pads really make the quality of the bass shine.  

I always thought the MD had a fifteen foot soundstage in each direction, which is pretty darn good for a closed headphone. Within the 15’, the instruments could be easily picked out in an exact position. With the new pads, that 15' wall seems to drop away and the space really stretches on. 

Here are some genre specific notes I jotted down

Electronic: (Track: Ovnimoon – Turn Off the Light)
Mad Dogs: More bass punch upfront. It’s subtle but definitely more powerful, but a little muddy.
Alphas: Bass is much more controlled, and shows transparency. Still powerful, impact and hard hitting, but not as bloomy as the mad dog pads.

Rock: (The XX – Sunset, The Airborne Toxic Event – Live album)
Mad Dogs: More presence in the strings. Indicates to me a slight kick over the alphas in the 80Hz-180Hz range
Alphas: Warmer, smoother presentation in vocals and all midrange/treble areas. The more controlled bass really benefits the bass guitars and classic stringed instruments to give them more texture. Clear improvement in instrument separation.

Jazz: (Jazz at the Pawnshop, Muddy Waters)
Mad Dogs: Separation is really shown in the Jazz mixes.
Alphas: Strong instrument separation and soundstage opening. Treble and midrange are much more balanced, and treble is definitely less fatiguing. Once again, love the string presence here.

Female Vocals: (Norah Jones, Joni Mitchel)
Mad Dogs: Recessed vocals, to the point where they start to sound a little thin
Alphas: Much more fullness, warmth, really an enjoyable presentation to listen to

E,

In your comparisons:

Mad Dogs = Dog Pads...    Correct?

Feb 11, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #3,280 of 6,388
Quote:
^^ Lots of people saying the comfort is substantially different or WAY more comfortable. Night and day sort of stood out as a good phrase. Wasn't singling you out or anything. :)

I know that during the beta tests, I didn't personally feel that the comfort was substantially different (for better or worse).  I did however comment that I felt for those whose ears were at a steeper angle would find that they're a big improvement.  My basic feelings were that very few would feel that they were a downgrade, the majority would probably find them about the same, and the rest (a much larger chunk than the downgrade group) would find them a big improvement.  That being said, while I don't personally feel they any more comfortable for me, the new pads make it much easier to get a proper seal.

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #3,281 of 6,388
They are comfortable, but they clamp a bit tight and have a large enough footprint that they leave my hair flattened around the ears and across my head where the comfort strap rests.  Looks like I will need to get my hair buzzed a bit more often now. 

I had a chance to use the Mad Dogs with Alphas at my office setup.  Logitech Squeezebox Touch > Toslink > Audioengine D1 DAC > O2 amp with 0dB gain (my O2 has 0 or 2.5 dB gain settings).  This sounds extremely good, and for the money it would be difficult for me to come up with a better system while maintaining the same level of sound isolation/leakage.

Just a little embarrassing walking into meetings with earpad hair.  
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #3,282 of 6,388
Quote:
Of course, it's night and day to me because the DP's actually caused me physical discomfort after about an hour (I understand I may be a minority in this respect). It was a much better fit for me personally.

Hmm, the DPs gave me some discomfort as well.
Curse my stupid small town.. >_< 
The Alpha Pads have been in state for 2 days now, just skating around my town. *Hopefully* they will be here tomorrow. Although I may be busy, I'll try to post some impressions then, as well as whenever I can get together with someone who owns the MDs as well with DPs.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:02 PM Post #3,284 of 6,388
Quote:
It should still fit right?  I thought that the Dog Pad version is tuned different internally but still the same externals.  I'll probably just stick with the Shure pads though, sounds and feels great already as is.

They're certainly still a good value as is with the Shure pads.  I can however say that I'll soon be sending my original pair that has the Shure pads in to Dan for the upgrade so that I'll have a pair with the Alpha pads for home and another for work.

Feb 11, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #3,285 of 6,388
Quote:
It should still fit right?  I thought that the Dog Pad version is tuned different internally but still the same externals.  I'll probably just stick with the Shure pads though, sounds and feels great already as is.

This should help
http://www.head-fi.org/t/613576/mad-dog-by-mrspeakers-modified-fostex-t50rp-review/3135#post_9139830

Users who are viewing this thread

Back