"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Oct 13, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #1,426 of 6,388
Quote:
I have got 1 simple question, a YES or NO answer.

DOES the MadDog match the intimate sound signature of the LCD2's?

Regards,
a__k

Short answer : Yes

Longer answer: 

Since when have the LCD-2's been intimate?  
I would not describe the LCD-2's as intimate in any way but I would describe the Mad dogs as an intimate headphone. This is one of the appeals I have with the Mad Dogs. It makes them far more engaging, fun, and even more delicate and deep when it comes to things like vocals. It sounds like a conversation with the music rather than a broadcast of the music, if that makes any sense.

Oct 13, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,427 of 6,388
i finally able to try pairing the MD with my vintage sansui au-2200. it's definitely make the MD warmer. i had to set the loudness lever to off to reduce the warmth. i need to complete my setup ASAP. missing are DAC and RCA cable to connect my laptop to the setup. the current one are on the sad side of the story: sansa clip zip to sansui to mad dog. LOL!

okay, for smoother sound signature, which of these two DAC pairs better with the MD? HRT MSII or Dacport LX? the amp will be the sansui, which is warm / tubey, but it's also very heavy to carry around to the local headphone stores just for DAC audition.

Oct 13, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #1,428 of 6,388
Quote:
 No, not fair at all. 2 very good open orthos against a closed one. With that said, every headphone has a use,
If you'd like to know more you can PM me, I'll write a mini review or something. 

Don't want to derail this thread. Order rank. 1. LCD-3 2. HE-6. 3. Mad Dog. 4. LCD-2.

why you prefer mad dog over lcd2?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #1,429 of 6,388
Quote:
I've got my Mad Dog with Dog Pads yesterday, so I should give an update to my earlier impressions. I've paid about USD 365 for it in a local store here in Indonesia. I think it's fair if I think about international shipping and my local (dreaded) custom's  fee.

With the new Dog Pads, there are improvement on the bass section. I noticed there are more bass body and more punch. YMMV in terms of quantity. I also noticed that the overall sound is not as open or as forward as before. I think with the new Dog Pads, the MD have a darker sound signature. I feel the Dog Pads makes a less fatiguing long listening session. Sound stage is still not as wide as I like it to be, but I enjoy the depth. The Dog Pads are also more comfortable than the previous pads.

However I still think that it needs a little bit more bass body. I doubt that tinkering with the inside of the cans will get me to my preference sound. Thank God it comes with a detachable cable. I'm going to try experimenting with different cables. It's gonna be a DIY cable. Any recommendations for cable and jack materials to add more bass body and smoother high section?

Anyway, I should congratulate Dan for the New MD with the Dog Pads. They are worth it. :)

While I have read mostly overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Mad Dogs, there seems to be a common thread that the bass lacks any substantial punch which I have found is important to my individual listening enjoyment.  Is that related to the mods or an inherent limitation of an ortho vs. a dynamic driver?

Oct 13, 2012 at 7:36 AM Post #1,430 of 6,388
Quote:
i finally able to try pairing the MD with my vintage sansui au-2200. it's definitely make the MD warmer. i had to set the loudness lever to off to reduce the warmth. i need to complete my setup ASAP. missing are DAC and RCA cable to connect my laptop to the setup. the current one are on the sad side of the story: sansa clip zip to sansui to mad dog. LOL!

okay, for smoother sound signature, which of these two DAC pairs better with the MD? HRT MSII or Dacport LX? the amp will be the sansui, which is warm / tubey, but it's also very heavy to carry around to the local headphone stores just for DAC audition.

I can't say much about the HRT MSII but i do have Dacport LX and is pretty neutral, transparent DAC. You can audition my Dacport LX since we are in the same city
beerchug.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #1,431 of 6,388
Quote:
I have got 1 simple question, a YES or NO answer.

DOES the MadDog match the intimate sound signature of the LCD2's?

Regards,
a__k

I don't know guys. 

We're comparing a $1K headphone with a $80+ dollar modded headphone.  Obviously the LCD-2.2 is going to do some things better than the Mad Dog technically.  The LCD-2.2 "to me" makes the MDs seem a little thin with less body.  That's because the LCDs are tilted towards the bass more than the MDs are "I guess"

Comparing the MDs to headphones $1K and higher might be an unfair comparison.   Now comparing the them to sub $1K might just be a more fair comparison which in it's self is a remarkable feet.  

Some headphones out now that might be more of an even comparison are the HE-400s, HD650s, AH-D5000s, Beyer 770s / 880s, SRH1840s - some might even say the HE-500s.  However, the MD being compared to these should be more on the same level.  

What you guys think?

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #1,432 of 6,388
Don't forget that the MD's drivers are tiny compared to the other orthos. So technically it is quite amazing for producing sound so close to products costing many times more and four to six times bigger.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #1,433 of 6,388
Thank you for the answer and I don't want to get into a debate.
Quote:
Short answer : Yes

Longer answer: 

Since when have the LCD-2's been intimate?  
I would not describe the LCD-2's as intimate in any way but I would describe the Mad dogs as an intimate headphone. This is one of the appeals I have with the Mad Dogs. It makes them far more engaging, fun, and even more delicate and deep when it comes to things like vocals. It sounds like a conversation with the music rather than a broadcast of the music, if that makes any sense.

Preproman, all technicalities aside, does the MadDog have that intimate sound? I really enjoy the LCD2v2's for live and vocal music, its superb, but I cannot stand the comfort. I'm hoping the MadDog presents the music in the same way. :)

Cheers!
Quote:

I don't know guys. 

We're comparing a $1K headphone with a $80+ dollar modded headphone.  Obviously the LCD-2.2 is going to do some things better than the Mad Dog technically.  The LCD-2.2 "to me" makes the MDs seem a little thin with less body.  That's because the LCDs are tilted towards the bass more than the MDs are "I guess"

Comparing the MDs to headphones $1K and higher might be an unfair comparison.   Now comparing the them to sub $1K might just be a more fair comparison which in it's self is a remarkable feet.  

Some headphones out now that might be more of an even comparison are the HE-400s, HD650s, AH-D5000s, Beyer 770s / 880s, SRH1840s - some might even say the HE-500s.  However, the MD being compared to these should be more on the same level.  

What you guys think?

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #1,434 of 6,388
Quote:
Thank you for the answer and I don't want to get into a debate.

Preproman, all technicalities aside, does the MadDog have that intimate sound? I really enjoy the LCD2v2's for live and vocal music, its superb, but I cannot stand the comfort. I'm hoping the MadDog presents the music in the same way. :)

Cheers!

It will get you close, very close "for some".  Price no object I'll go with the LCD-2.2s.  If price is an object - it's a no brainer MDs are your 'CAN".  

For me the LCD-2.2 are just a plain ole fun headphone to listen to - on any of my amps.

Oct 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,435 of 6,388
Getting Mad Dogs for Christmas
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #1,437 of 6,388
Does anyone have any Amp (and possibly Amp/DAC) suggestion in the $150-$250 range, that would work well with the Mad Dogs? I have a pair coming in next week and i'd like a good starter desktop headphone amp for them. I will be using a Macbook Pro as a source. I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard and the HiFiMan EFA2, but am open to any and all suggestions.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #1,438 of 6,388
Quote:
While I have read mostly overwhelmingly positive reviews of the Mad Dogs, there seems to be a common thread that the bass lacks any substantial punch which I have found is important to my individual listening enjoyment.  Is that related to the mods or an inherent limitation of an ortho vs. a dynamic driver?

Don't worry too much. The headphone is just one element of the whole setup. There are still plenty of things you can tinker around with to get you to your preference sound. However the Dog Pads do adds punch to the bass section. In case you prefer to go portable, pairing it with the ALO National was also quite good. If you're an iDevice user, put a CLAS in between.

Quote:

I can't say much about the HRT MSII but i do have Dacport LX and is pretty neutral, transparent DAC. You can audition my Dacport LX since we are in the same city
beerchug.gif

Hey that's nice. I was thinking about going to Analog Head next Saturday to try the MSII. I'll be bringing my MD, laptop and Sansui AU-2200. The store should have plenty of cables to loan on the spot.

Oct 13, 2012 at 10:27 PM Post #1,439 of 6,388
Audibst hp amp can power up to 300 olms impedence, it's really one of the few cheap ones that can power a headphone like this Ann's people have used it to drive the lcd2. Mostly Neutral and transparent with a slight phases on bass, it's got a real solid bass body which helps with the slightly weaker bass on the md's.

Oct 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM Post #1,440 of 6,388
Does anyone have any Amp (and possibly Amp/DAC) suggestion in the $150-$250 range, that would work well with the Mad Dogs? I have a pair coming in next week and i'd like a good starter desktop headphone amp for them. I will be using a Macbook Pro as a source. I've been looking at the Schiit Asgard and the HiFiMan EFA2, but am open to any and all suggestions.

I've given a similar response before, but the Asgard is great with the Mad Dog. It's better with the Lyr, but the Asgard + Mad Dog is my every day setup, and I love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back