"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Aug 12, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #661 of 6,388
Quote:
Looking forward to it. In theory there would be less of an improvement than direct wiring to the driver, as there's just two very small and high resistance wires that go from the socket to the drivers. If you do hear something though, I just may need to experiment with some different cables.

Thanks Dave, I'll be testing the stock cable, vmoda, and two Norse Audio cables. While my amplification is limited right now and may have to borrow from a friend as I'm saving up for a portable beast of a rig so I've sold all my gear over the past week. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #662 of 6,388
Quote:
Dear tokendog,

can you make a brief comparison on HE-400 and Mad Dogs (in terms of SQ)?

Thanks

SQ the two are very comparable.  I would not and did not pick the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs because of SQ, but rather because of my preference for open cans and the airiness that comes with them.  The HE-400s did seem more textured to me on all levels, but the Mad Dogs were changing quite a bit (to me at least) with burn in.  The HE-400 did not seem to be affected by burn in at all to me, but rather my ears became adapted to them.

The Mad Dog had a dramatic change in SQ within the first few hours of being used and seemed to be a long ways from reaching their real potential.  I just don't care for closed clans - if I was going to travel with my head phones, then the Mad Dogs would be the first choice on a very short list.

They feel great on the ears comfort-wise, by far the most comfortable of all the cans I've used, and are extremely light-weight.  I actually found relief in wearing them after having the HE-400s on for a few hours.  The Mad Dogs seemed to lightly hold my ears and try to do their best to make it all better.  They really do show you just how heavy and cubersome those planar headphones are, but alas, I love my planar headphones more. :)

Aug 12, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #663 of 6,388
Really? You think its that much better? I'm sold on the Mad dogs and as they're closed they'd be ok for traveling, which I do a bit of anyway. But if you say the D1 is worth it and I should go with it rather than the E17s I'll just get IEMs for travel.

Aug 12, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #664 of 6,388
Quote:

SQ the two are very comparable.  I would not and did not pick the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs because of SQ, but rather because of my preference for open cans and the airiness that comes with them.  The HE-400s did seem more textured to me on all levels, but the Mad Dogs were changing quite a bit (to me at least) with burn in.  The HE-400 did not seem to be affected by burn in at all to me, but rather my ears became adapted to them.

The Mad Dog had a dramatic change in SQ within the first few hours of being used and seemed to be a long ways from reaching their real potential.  I just don't care for closed clans - if I was going to travel with my head phones, then the Mad Dogs would be the first choice on a very short list.

They feel great on the ears comfort-wise, by far the most comfortable of all the cans I've used, and are extremely light-weight.  I actually found relief in wearing them after having the HE-400s on for a few hours.  The Mad Dogs seemed to lightly hold my ears and try to do their best to make it all better.  They really do show you just how heavy and cubersome those planar headphones are, but alas, I love my planar headphones more. :)

The Mad Dogs ARE planar, no?

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #665 of 6,388
Yes, the MadDog is an ortho/planar-magnetic headphone - so is every T50RP variant, because so is the the T50RP.

I also felt the Mad Dog are a very open-sounding can. The sound stage and imaging is there, and more so than is typical of a closed can. Still, good comparison. I do not like the Mad Dogs in the current weather in doors, to be honest, unless a fan's on. With 95+ degrees F, it just gets my ears too warm.

Aug 12, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #666 of 6,388

Quote:
Really? You think its that much better? I'm sold on the Mad dogs and as they're closed they'd be ok for traveling, which I do a bit of anyway. But if you say the D1 is worth it and I should go with it rather than the E17s I'll just get IEMs for travel.

Well, it depends. The D1 is nicer than the E17. In terms of portability, well, you don't have any aside from plugging it in to a laptop. The E17 isn't much worse, though. It's still very good, in fact, and *definitely* portable. I would go with the E17 for now - you'll probably buy another amp and another DAC eventually anyway for home use.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #667 of 6,388
Quote:

Thank you.

Aug 12, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #668 of 6,388
Quote:
Thank you.

No problem.  I misspoke about the Mad Dogs and them not being planar.  They are also planar head phones.  In that case, it's a preference of open phone vs. closed phone.  I prefer open, but the Mad Dogs are a VERY nice pair of closed phones.  I would recommend them over say, the Ultrasone Pro 900s, but below the D7000s in terms of my personal preference and experience.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #670 of 6,388
I have not heard the HD600s, so I can not compare them.  For what it is worth, I have heard the HD598s and the Mad Dogs are superior by far.

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #672 of 6,388
Quote:
The HD598 isn't trying to be flat, though.

Nor are the Mad Dogs. They're voiced much like the LCD-2, which is not flat. Just in case you were implying that...

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #674 of 6,388
I don't know about you guys, but I'm jamming to some Mandrill and Cymande. I'm hoping they'll be as groovy through the Mad Dogs. 
normal_smile .gif

What are the general tastes in music of the frequenting owners of MD's? I'm curious to know. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back