"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 26, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #481 of 6,388
the t50rp is heavy, the mods make it even heavier. i dont think you want to play a game wearing a heavy headphone. well, it is heavy for me because i tend to get abit dizzy after an hour or two of listening. It might not be heavy for you though!

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #483 of 6,388
Quote:
So these wouldn't be good for playing FPS games such as BF3? Darn it. 

Wouldn't be bad for BF3 as, while the overall sound is good, the directional sound sucks butt compared to CoD and mass effect 2/3, anyway. For true soundwhoring, where footsteps and where they are coming from, and how far away they are - MD's aren't the ticket.

For everything else? Hellzballzyeah - they're amazing!

Quote:
the t50rp is heavy, the mods make it even heavier. i dont think you want to play a game wearing a heavy headphone. well, it is heavy for me because i tend to get abit dizzy after an hour or two of listening. It might not be heavy for you though!

Using the V-moda audio only cable helped a lot for the heavy feeling of the cans for me, that cable is so crazy light that it feels like nothing is attached at all. I listen for about 4-6 hours at a sitting and haven't felt any fatigue due to weight, but I have a pretty ergonomic task setup so that may help. That and I already have an incredibly large mutant head anyway, so the extra weight isn't much :p. The only issue I have with the long sessions is the sweaty ears I get.

Jul 26, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #484 of 6,388
Quote:

The stock t50rp is 330 grams, ex cable- which is not too bad.  For comparison, Shure SRH 1440 are 350 grams, Fostex TH900 are 400 grams.  How much heavier does the mods make them? (using kitchen scales)

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #486 of 6,388
Really, its not that heavy of a headphone at all and is truly a lightweight when we are talking of orthodynamics. With the comfort strap, it feels much lighter than it really is. The heft of the Hifimans and especially the Audeze headphones have essentially kept me from considering them as my main headphone. They do sound great, though.

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #489 of 6,388
Quote:

I see.  I kind of suspected that could potentially be the case after I made my comment.  Hopefully, something will be available that works as having that cable "hug" the side of the cup would be pretty slick.

yea that would be nice, Trevor said he's still on the hunt. Neutrik and Oyaide must make thousands of parts that are 3.5mm

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:47 PM Post #490 of 6,388
Quote:

Wouldn't be bad for BF3 as, while the overall sound is good, the directional sound sucks butt compared to CoD and mass effect 2/3, anyway. For true soundwhoring, where footsteps and where they are coming from, and how far away they are - MD's aren't the ticket.

For everything else? Hellzballzyeah - they're amazing!

Quote:

Using the V-moda audio only cable helped a lot for the heavy feeling of the cans for me, that cable is so crazy light that it feels like nothing is attached at all. I listen for about 4-6 hours at a sitting and haven't felt any fatigue due to weight, but I have a pretty ergonomic task setup so that may help. That and I already have an incredibly large mutant head anyway, so the extra weight isn't much :p. The only issue I have with the long sessions is the sweaty ears I get.

Would adding a sound card such as the Titanium HD help to mitigate that weakness? 

Jul 29, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #495 of 6,388
Quote:
I see a lot of people comparing mad dog to lcd2 but how about a comparison with sennheiser hd700 which is also priced at 1000 bucks?

I heard a very early pair of the HD700's not sure if any changes have been made since.
But it's only become recently really talked about.

The HD700 is quite a terrible headphone, felt flat and boring between the HD650 and HD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back