"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jul 25, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #468 of 6,388
Quote:
How would these headphones compare to the Q701 and other headphones in its range for gaming? 

The Mad Dogs image very quickly and precisely, probably even more than the Q701. However, for the strictest form of competitive gaming (at least FPS), I might give the tip of the hat to the Q701 for its brighter and lighter signature that picks up important details like footsteps very well.

Overall, I find the Mad Dogs to offer a more agreeable gaming experience in the long-term as it has a slight boost down low that is very enjoyable. If you want a strictly competitive setup go with Q701. If you want a more versatile setup and/or need some isolation, I would prefer the Mad Dogs.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #472 of 6,388
Quote:
Very possible
tongue.gif

Definitely looks like a Norn.
Interesting if so, just wish it were duel entry. 
tongue.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #474 of 6,388
Quote:
Yea that would be nice but drew at moon audio can do it if people really want it.

Drew will do it. However at a pretty deep price and as far as I know only with his cables.
I'll have to be looking into getting a Q cable for MD soon enough.

That's really nice though, I knew it was a Norn, I have my Q cable spun off from the Norn series. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #475 of 6,388
Drew will do it. However at a pretty deep price and as far as I know only with his cables.
I'll have to be looking into getting a Q cable for MD soon enough.

That's really nice though, I knew it was a Norn, I have my Q cable spun off from the Norn series. :D

Yea that price was pretty high for me. I never tried Q cables would u mind taking some pics and what kind of copper? Norse audio has been really awesome to me I love them.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #476 of 6,388
Quote:
Yea that price was pretty high for me. I never tried Q cables would u mind taking some pics and what kind of copper? Norse audio has been really awesome to me I love them.

Yep, depending on the cable I think it's worth it. 

I think I still have pics of my Q on my page.

and then here's Steve's cables http://www.q-audio.com/

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #477 of 6,388
Quote:

The Mad Dogs image very quickly and precisely, probably even more than the Q701. However, for the strictest form of competitive gaming (at least FPS), I might give the tip of the hat to the Q701 for its brighter and lighter signature that picks up important details like footsteps very well.

Overall, I find the Mad Dogs to offer a more agreeable gaming experience in the long-term as it has a slight boost down low that is very enjoyable. If you want a strictly competitive setup go with Q701. If you want a more versatile setup and/or need some isolation, I would prefer the Mad Dogs.

To add to this, the directional cues from the MD's for FPS play is very very confusing compared to Samson SR850's or AD700's. Those two are so precise with direction, and the SR850's so good at range on top of that, that the MD's just wrecked my head when I tried them for competitive FPS purposes. Skyrim sounded good, though :). Very immersive.

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #478 of 6,388
Quote:
The Fostex T50RP is geared towards being a studio headphone, it's priced comparatively to others 
in its price bracket. You can agree or disagree with the quality it put outs stock. These are money
makers for Fostex.

Anyways, unmodified or not, there is no perfect headphone. As far as I'm aware 
the LCD-3, HD800, 009's have not been sufficiently modified? Changing the dampening doesn't count in my book. Just gotta pick the best headphone for your preferences. 

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Yeah, I realize that nothing is perfect, it's just weird to me that there is this consumer base out there that is very good at sound, and while they have different likes/dislikes in what they want to listen to, can typically universally agree when something is just bad. For fostex to make headphones and not sort of, well... attend to that consumer base in at least a passive "Let's see what they say" kind of way, is weird to me. [/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]If I was making widgets, and my widgets were ok - but I find out people are making relatively minor adjustments to my widgets to make them great - That would be of interest to me. I would still sell that widget at the price point, but I'd then improve it, increase the price point, and profit?[/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]I mean, just look at amazon - frequently bought together - the 840 earpads, silverstone 21 sound dampening material, dynamat, reusable adhesive :p. Friggen thing sells like a hobby kit! You'd think a company would notice this - or hell, maybe they make enough money on these selling to DIY crowd to not bother with it.. I dunno. In my field I'm constantly interrogating data and feedback to find more efficiency, better service, better product, and more profit obviously while enriching the client experience. I sort of had it in my head that this sort of thing is what companies do. [/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]If someone opened up a company, selling something I made originally that they made better, and are getting over twice the price for it - I would pay attention to that. I hope they don't, obviously, as I really like Dan and wish him and his endeavour all the success in the world. It's obvious he takes a lot of pride in what he does, and it shows in his customer service, and I think those are traits that should be rewarded with success, but if I put my "I'm Fostex, the headphone maker" hat on - I'd hire Dan, and open up a new revenue stream :wink:.[/size][/size]

[size=10pt][size=10pt]Dan MrSpeaker Fostex, Vice President, Head of Public Relations and Audiophile R&D.[/size][/size]

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:42 AM Post #479 of 6,388
I haven't said anything in awhile, so just wanted to chime in and say I love these.

I've been listening to these exclusively with the bass boost on my C241 on, though. With the bass boost on, I can't imagine ever wanting more bass...it goes so low and hits so hard. It's magic.

To be honest, I think my headphone journey is done for a very, very long time.

Jul 26, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #480 of 6,388
Quote:
To add to this, the directional cues from the MD's for FPS play is very very confusing compared to Samson SR850's or AD700's. Those two are so precise with direction, and the SR850's so good at range on top of that, that the MD's just wrecked my head when I tried them for competitive FPS purposes. Skyrim sounded good, though :). Very immersive.

So these wouldn't be good for playing FPS games such as BF3? Darn it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back