"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 23, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #121 of 6,388
Quote:
I can't say. I have a decently sized head, a little above average, and the leather headband makes it MUCH more comfortable to wear.

I've been doing some comparitive listening between the earlier revision and the newest revision - Dan, is there anything to explain these being slightly brighter?

I am noticing some sibilance on certain songs (One More Time by Daft Punk ("one tsime we're gonna sselebrate (oh yeah) don't sstop the dantssing"))

However, It's much better as far as sibilance than my HD598, still. At its worst it's just as good, so I'm not that peeved. The older pair seems to be just as sibilant (as the new revision), maybe a LITTLE BIT less. I can't really tell.

Could you try this possibly, if you have time:

Download Sinegen
Do a slow manual sweep of 4kHz ~ 20kHz, take notes of how the frequency response curve perceived is across that range

This way we could have a better glimpse of approximately how the treble region "looks" like with them.

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #122 of 6,388
Quote:

Could you try this possibly, if you have time:

Download Sinegen
Do a slow manual sweep of 4kHz ~ 20kHz, take notes of how the frequency response curve perceived is across that range

This way we could have a better glimpse of approximately how the treble region "looks" like with them.

No. I'm on a Mac, and I'd be very unrelyable at explaining what I hear any way.

That's something where it'd be best to have to objective measurements rather than subjective experience.

I will say it's no worse than the HD598 as far as harshness. Most of the time it's better, sometimes it'll sound as harsh (but no worse). I'm only a little peeved - of course, now that I've noticed it, I can't ignore it. I'll need some ear burn-in to get more accustomed to them.

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #123 of 6,388
Got mine back today,and just want to thank Dan, for the upgrade ,the nice leather headband,and of course the reduction in price.....really nice.

One question:
Am I correct that the drivers were upgraded/changed on these headphones,or was it some sort of adjustment?
If the drivers were changed.....don't I need to do another full burn-in???

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #124 of 6,388
Quote:
Got mine back today,and just want to thank Dan, for the upgrade ,the nice leather headband,and of course the rebate...really nice.

One question:
Am I correct that the drivers were upgraded/changed on these headphones,or was it some sort of adjustment?

Yep, he took my advice and put beats drivers in them. How's that over-bloated bass treating ya? 
tongue.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #126 of 6,388
Quote:
Got mine back today,and just want to thank Dan, for the upgrade ,the nice leather headband,and of course the rebate...really nice.

One question:

How can the drivers be changed? Isn't he simply using the the Fostex drivers (just with modified damping)?

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #127 of 6,388
Correction in my original post
I posted rebate,what I mean twas  REDUCTION IN PRICE...OK
Does anyone have an answer???..concerning the drivers??

Jun 23, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #128 of 6,388
Quote:
Correction in my original post
I posted rebate,what I mean twas  REDUCTION IN PRICE...OK
Does anyone have an answer???..concerning the drivers??

The drivers are the same. Dan just improved the mod, whether that's new damping or just actual tuning remains a question to me

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:18 PM Post #130 of 6,388
Quote:

Stop spreading rumors.  The replacement drivers are from the Ludacris Soul's.  
eek.gif

Fine! I didn't actually want anyone to know Dan's little secret. 
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 23, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #131 of 6,388
Dan, is there any way you could put up some measurements of the 003 pads compared to the revised 840 pads.
I love my 003 pads and am hearing  it's not enough of an improvement for me to change over. 

Fostex appears to have made a manufacturing change a while ago. Originally, the 003 pads worked better with my mods, but with the change they made the 840 performed better. If you had the 003 pads and enjoy them, keep them. The's probably not much upside to modification, the main change would be different pads and slightly reduced mid bass.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 23, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #132 of 6,388
I can't say. I have a decently sized head, a little above average, and the leather headband makes it MUCH more comfortable to wear.

I've been doing some comparitive listening between the earlier revision and the newest revision - Dan, is there anything to explain these being slightly brighter?

I am noticing some sibilance on certain songs (One More Time by Daft Punk ("one tsime we're gonna sselebrate (oh yeah) don't sstop the dantssing"))

However, It's much better as far as sibilance than my HD598, still. At its worst it's just as good, so I'm not that peeved. The older pair seems to be just as sibilant (as the new revision), maybe a LITTLE BIT less. I can't really tell.

The main change in the mod is smoothing out and reducing the bass from 80-200hz. By making the bass less heavy the overall sound becomes flatter, and you will hear more highs relative to the bass, it is just better balanced and will sound a little more bright, even though the mids and highs are not changed.

There are no resonances in the units, everyone is tested and if there's a resonance between 7-10k it doesn't get shipped. It may be your recording.

In general, if a phone is sibilant it will usually sound sibilant for similar sounds (e.g. Female f, s or t seem to always excite it, or male vocals, etc). If the phone is faithful, it will not be sibilant on many recordings but it will show sibilance from the recording or mastering process.

Like Cowboy Junkies, some albums Margot has no sibilance and others she does. If it is in the recording a good phone will play it back, but a phone with a sibilance issue will tend to generate sibilance on most recordings containing the type of content that exites it. That's just a general observation, YMMV

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #133 of 6,388
Got mine back today,and just want to thank Dan, for the upgrade ,the nice leather headband,and of course the reduction in price.....really nice.

One question:

No driver change and no burn in.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #134 of 6,388
Quote:
Fostex appears to have made a manufacturing change a while ago. Originally, the 003 pads worked better with my mods, but with the change they made the 840 performed better. If you had the 003 pads and enjoy them, keep them. The's probably not much upside to modification, the main change would be different pads and slightly reduced mid bass.

Well, that confuses me..considering you sent me a message saying since I was one of your earlier customers you had a "free" upgrade.
So my Fostex doesn't use "the" changed driver or whatever essentially changed. So that makes me wonder how
would mine have even turned out, right? I guess it's good that I didn't hurry up and send them out.. hahah

I will stick to my 003 pads. I might just end up ordering another pair. I have to get around to comparing these to the Paradox.

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #135 of 6,388
Well, that confuses me..considering you sent me a message saying since I was one of your earlier customers you had a "free" upgrade.
So my Fostex doesn't use "the" changed driver or whatever essentially changed. So that makes me wonder how
would mine have even turned out, right? I guess it's good that I didn't hurry up and send them out.. hahah

I will stick to my 003 pads. I might just end up ordering another pair. I have to get around to comparing these to the Paradox.

My bad. There were only a few 003.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back