"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #106 of 6,388
Quote:
The treble is less harsh on the Mad Dog, but it's not lacking. There's no spikes causing sibilance, so it's actually pretty nice. The HD598 is harsher, but brighter as well. I still like the HD598's treble, but the Mad Dog is much easier on the ears overall - the HD598 has a tendency to be sibilant in certain songs whilst the Mad Dog has only been sibilant when the recording itself is.
Also, It may just be my ears lying to me, but the new revision (of Mad Dog) seems to have better imaging than the previous revision and is just a little brighter.

Edit: It's nice to see the measurements page supplies more reference graphs now. A little thing: You don't specify what LCD in the description preceding the LCD-2's graph (it is mentioned in the file name and can be deduced from the price, though)

That's good. Do you find the bass to be an improvement as well? I'm not unhappy with the 598 bass, but I'd imagine these to definitely have better extension (especially from looking at the graphs). 

Are these headphones being constantly revised? Should I wait a while before ordering them?

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:31 PM Post #107 of 6,388
I think they're pretty "solid" now. I don't expect to see any more "revisions" beyond new, not-smudgy decals (which will be sent to customers when they come out, anyway, last I heard). The bass on the Mad Dog is definitely more present than the HD598 and smoother. Much better extension. This is a flat headphone, the HD598... isn't.

Jun 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #109 of 6,388
Quote:
The measurements are a late model of the LCD-2 v1, right before v2.

I'm aware, just a "typo" I noticed on the page. 
tongue.gif

I don't think Audez'e makes just an "LCD" model.

Jun 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #110 of 6,388
A thing I've noticed: Presumably due to stretching them to fit, the SRH840 pads tend to contain loose stitches, etc. If there's any dangling thread, you can cut it off, but don't pull it. I learned that the hard way. :)

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #112 of 6,388
You're right! Those measurements are from November 2011 and it seems like this final design has only been out recently. We'll see what Mr. Speakers has to say, I guess. And that's certainly odd about the 840 pads...you'd think that they wouldn't be that delicate. Do all Shure SRH840 owners complain about pad durability too?
Quote:
I'd wait to see whether those are actually the Mad Dogs, also. Dan's worked with Fostex headphones before he "came out" with the Mad Dog design.

Jun 23, 2012 at 1:50 AM Post #114 of 6,388
I'm thinking I may try other pads with these down the road. The SRH840 pads are pretty delicate - it's easy to tear a stitch while taking them off/putting them on.

They are your phones, but I suggest you don't try that, it will not improve them unless you have unusual luck.

I have attached hundreds and not torn a stitch. I will post a video for this some time next week as a FAQ as it is really easy and just takes seconds.

The only thing to not do is pull a loose thread, always use a scissor to trim a loose thread, as like any stitching the wrong thread can unravel the whole thing.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #115 of 6,388
Quote:
They are your phones, but I suggest you don't try that, it will not improve them unless you have unusual luck.
I have attached hundreds and not torn a stitch. I will post a video for this some time next week as a FAQ as it is really easy and just takes seconds.
The only thing to not do is pull a loose thread, always use a scissor to trim a loose thread, as like any stitching the wrong thread can unravel the whole thing.

So learned. I was considering trying the FA003 pads, but I'll likely just buy a new pair of SRH840 pads...

Is the ideal way to apply to:

Fold the "flap" over the pad, then press it into the cup, and finally unravel it starting from the top, down both sides, and then finish by pulling the bottom over?

That's how I've settled on doing it. I have headphones now that are fluffy (haha), because of cutting loose thread. I think I'm not the best at cutting the threads because of my shakey hands, but I managed. They look nearly perfect now, at least, though one pad seems wider than the other (typical?)

Jun 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #116 of 6,388
Quote:
And that's certainly odd about the 840 pads...you'd think that they wouldn't be that delicate. Do all Shure SRH840 owners complain about pad durability too?

I doubt it. They're not very fragile once they're on, and I think part of the fragility of the stitching comes from the fact that the pads are being stretched slightly to fit on the T50RP. So, in other words, an SRH840 owner wouldn't have any issues at all unless they had to replace the pads. I doubt they'de have trouble then, either, because I believe the stitching being so easy to pull stems from the pads stretching.

I'm fairly confident that I'm the party responsible, not the pads.

Another thing: A friend actually brought over some unmodified T50RPs today. Although I've listened to them before, I haven't since getting these. I didn't get a chance to listen for any extended period, but I did put them on.

Let's just say, the optional leather headband is hardly optional.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered a new pair of pads myself for back-up, though I may replace the one pad that's "fluffy" if need be, or make the pair currently on the 'phones the back up. I ordered the SRH840 pads, so, nothing new. I also bought a V-Moda cable because it looks sexy as hell is hot.

Jun 23, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #118 of 6,388
I've heard the original t50rp aren't very comfortable for those of us with big heads, do the mad dogs address that at all? Is that leather strap option helpful for this issue? Very close to pulling the trigger on these but quite nervous about comfort on my abnormally large head.

Thanks I'm advance :).

-Dirk

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM Post #119 of 6,388
I can't say. I have a decently sized head, a little above average, and the leather headband makes it MUCH more comfortable to wear.

I've been doing some comparitive listening between the earlier revision and the newest revision - Dan, is there anything to explain these being slightly brighter?

I am noticing some sibilance on certain songs (One More Time by Daft Punk ("one tsime we're gonna sselebrate (oh yeah) don't sstop the dantssing"))

However, It's much better as far as sibilance than my HD598, still. At its worst it's just as good, so I'm not that peeved. The older pair seems to be just as sibilant (as the new revision), maybe a LITTLE BIT less. I can't really tell.

Jun 23, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #120 of 6,388
Dan, is there any way you could put up some measurements of the 003 pads compared to the revised 840 pads.
I love my 003 pads and am hearing  it's not enough of an improvement for me to change over. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back