"Mad Dog" by MrSpeakers, modified Fostex T50RP review
Jun 21, 2012 at 6:16 PM Post #91 of 6,388
Quote:
I've been talking to Trevor at Norse Audio about making me a cable for the T50RPs and here's what he said

"Unfortunately I have yet to find a right angled plug that fits due to the inset being to narrow diameter.  However, the Oyaide 1/8" plugs fit perfectly with the only downside being they are the straight version (right angles don't work).  So it will stick out a bit, but fits nicely."

I know Dan has said the one cable for v-moda works nicely http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/ . Now does that 45 degree angle plug into the baffle or is in the straight side of the 1/8. 

I mention this because I have no idea what is in that stock Fostex cable and I do a lot of business with Trevor and love his cables. Has anyone tried any other aftermarket cables for the T50RPs?

I'm also interested in going balanced. It seems as if the angled plug is a problem for many. In fact, the only person I know that has balanced their T50RP's is wje.

Jun 22, 2012 at 2:29 AM Post #92 of 6,388
Quote:
I've been talking to Trevor at Norse Audio about making me a cable for the T50RPs and here's what he said

"Unfortunately I have yet to find a right angled plug that fits due to the inset being to narrow diameter.  However, the Oyaide 1/8" plugs fit perfectly with the only downside being they are the straight version (right angles don't work).  So it will stick out a bit, but fits nicely."

I know Dan has said the one cable for v-moda works nicely http://v-moda.com/audio-only-cable/ . Now does that 45 degree angle plug into the baffle or is in the straight side of the 1/8. 

I mention this because I have no idea what is in that stock Fostex cable and I do a lot of business with Trevor and love his cables. Has anyone tried any other aftermarket cables for the T50RPs?

i want to get the black one but they dont have it...

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #93 of 6,388
Hey OP, it seems like you have the Sennheiser 598s. I really like their musicality, but would sometimes like a little more bass power and extension. The lack of sound leakage is also rather important. Would you say the upgrade to these Mad Dogs would be worth it? It doesn't seem like these are too uncomfy in comparison either, so that's good. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #94 of 6,388
I am also wondering about the same thing. Also would pairing these with my Lyr + Bifrost setup blow the drivers up? Looking to upgrade from HD 598's and compliment my HE-500's.
Quote:
Hey OP, it seems like you have the Sennheiser 598s. I really like their musicality, but would sometimes like a little more bass power and extension. The lack of sound leakage is also rather important. Would you say the upgrade to these Mad Dogs would be worth it? It doesn't seem like these are too uncomfy in comparison either, so that's good. 

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #95 of 6,388
Quote:
I am also wondering about the same thing. Also would pairing these with my Lyr + Bifrost setup blow the drivers up? Looking to upgrade from HD 598's and compliment my HE-500's.

The reality is that orthodynamic drivers appear to be able / capable of handling a bit more power than a typical "dynamic" driver.  Granted, I'm just passing on some information that I've read from another source.  I don't happen to have a link to the source at the moment.  I should find it, though, as I'm very in love and interested in learning more about the orthodynamic drivers.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 22, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #96 of 6,388
Can't the LCD-2 handle something ridiculous like 10 watts of power?  Wha'ts even more funny is it and most other planar magnetics seemingly have less distortion across the entire frequency range the higher in volume they get.

Jun 22, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #98 of 6,388
Quote:

The reality is that orthodynamic drivers appear to be able / capable of handling a bit more power than a typical "dynamic" driver.  Granted, I'm just passing on some information that I've read from another source.  I don't happen to have a link to the source at the moment.  I should find it, though, as I'm very in love and interested in learning more about the orthodynamic drivers.
tongue_smile.gif

Orthos handle more power, in general.  

In part, this is because there's no voice coil to heat/warp, or simply to bottom out on the magnet structure when over-driven, which can deform the former.  Also, the ortho driver is a large surface exposed to moving air which aids heat dissipation off the traces, whereas voice coils work in small spaces where heat can build up.

EDIT: The orthos I have looked at can handle power that would lead to hearing loss, at a certain point there's not much to be gained except that you're unlikely to ever damage them unless you try to use them as a loudspeaker.  
basshead.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #101 of 6,388
I'm also curious about the new price tag! I'm also going to re-ask (since it got lost back on page 4) if there's any plans to get these measured by Tyll from InnerFidelity? I trust his objective measurements and he's usually quite willing so I'd like to see how those objective stats jive with my subjective opinions.

Jun 22, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #102 of 6,388
The $249 is a permanent change.  I've added production capacity and can support higher volume now.

Tyll has a set, but who knows when he will be able to measure, I think he's quite busy.  I am hoping his results will be pretty close to mine, as I verified my test system against his by comparing my LCD2 and Senn 650 measurements to his.  Those both seem fairly close to what he has published on InnerFidelity.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jun 22, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #104 of 6,388
Can you speak to the difference in treble between the Mad Dog headphones and your Sennheiser 598s?
Quote:
I'm also curious about the new price tag! I'm also going to re-ask (since it got lost back on page 4) if there's any plans to get these measured by Tyll from InnerFidelity? I trust his objective measurements and he's usually quite willing so I'd like to see how those objective stats jive with my subjective opinions.

Jun 22, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #105 of 6,388
Quote:
Can you speak to the difference in treble between the Mad Dog headphones and your Sennheiser 598s?

The treble is less harsh on the Mad Dog, but it's not lacking. There's no spikes causing sibilance, so it's actually pretty nice. The HD598 is harsher, but brighter as well. I still like the HD598's treble, but the Mad Dog is much easier on the ears overall - the HD598 has a tendency to be sibilant in certain songs whilst the Mad Dog has only been sibilant when the recording itself is.
Also, It may just be my ears lying to me, but the new revision (of Mad Dog) seems to have better imaging than the previous revision and is just a little brighter.

Edit: It's nice to see the measurements page supplies more reference graphs now. A little thing: You don't specify what LCD in the description preceding the LCD-2's graph (it is mentioned in the file name and can be deduced from the price, though)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back