Macworld Craziness
Jan 13, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #76 of 79
Quote:

Half the classified job postings for editors in one of the industry rags at the time specified "Final Cut Pro" experience as required.

Could this be because some directors like to do essentially "edited" dailies for their own purposes, on location rather than waiting to get back home? This may be an additional, complimentary tool rather than a complete replacement.

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #77 of 79
Movie trailers cut with Final Cut Pro, on Macs:

Planet of the Apes
Lord of the Rings
Training Day
Jurassic Park III
Josie and the *****cats
Tomb Raider
Pearl Harbor
Moulin Rouge

and many more. You get the trend. It's also being used for commercials, certain TV shows, and even a couple of movies. Avid still has its fans, but even its low-end editing stations cost $25,000. A G4 tower costs a tenth of that, and Final Cut Pro costs about $1000. You tell me what the stragglers are gonna be using five years from now.

Jan 14, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #78 of 79
Five years from now? 100GHz P5, either that or a 3GHz G4.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Russ the only thing I'm trying to convince you of is that all is not well in Macland. I'm one user lost because I don't like waiting around for stuff to happen, even if I could be multitasking. There are certainly others.

Jan 14, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #79 of 79
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
Five years from now? 100GHz P5, either that or a 3GHz G4.
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Russ the only thing I'm trying to convince you of is that all is not well in Macland. I'm one user lost because I don't like waiting around for stuff to happen, even if I could be multitasking. There are certainly others.

More like 30GHz 64bit procs on Pcs. Who knows what will happen to mac chips when they switch over to IBM from Motorola. Don't know how agressivly IBM will release new speeds.

Macs are behind, there is simply no other way to put it, while they do some things much more effciently than a similarly clocked (or even double clock speed) PC, PCs have begun to make up (and in some cases overcome, their ineffienicy with shear speed.

I just think apple needs a new and nifty product or a major update to something. I saw somebody who had modded a cube to run dual procs, which I thought was just awesome. I suppose the newer Imac is this product.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back