Macworld Craziness
Jan 8, 2003 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 79

grinch

Cognac....icky.Scotch....icky.Vodka....
those damn mac users can be so violent.
biggrin.gif

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,57128,00.html

personally, i think the "mac crusader" is macdef!
wink.gif

Jan 8, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 79
Quote:

those damn mac users can be so violent.

"...one overweight show visitor berated harried event staffers while snacking on a parfait..."

and hungry too!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 8, 2003 at 9:12 PM Post #4 of 79
Quote:

While one overweight show visitor berated harried event staffers while snacking on a parfait

town1.gif

"worst macworld... EVER!"

Quote:

"There's an hour of my life I'll never get back," grumbled an audience member as he grumpily made for the exit.

later: "i probably would have wasted it eating cheetos and surfing for hentai anyway..."

Jan 8, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #5 of 79
/rant

Where was the tablet pc?

Where was the iPhone?

Where was an upgraded iPod?

What's the point of Inkwell, and iSync apple, if you make nothing that uses them? Oh yeah, these are pda technologies. Where's the pda?
wink.gif

/end rant

Ok, the web browser is nice, and Cnet screwed up that iLife rumor, and the new tiny Powerbook is nice, and that X11 idea rocks.

But otherwise it's been a big build-up to nothing.

Jan 8, 2003 at 11:09 PM Post #6 of 79
The Keynote address is always like a cult meeting
biggrin.gif
But you got to hand it to Jobs, watching him makes watching the whining stooping Gates look like the proverbial drying paint.

I think you're expecting too much. Jobs uncovered a number of useful stuff, not things like tablet PC's. What was introduced in 2002 and yesterday makes a Mac much more useful for business. And iPod's not due for an update yet... Is it really necessary to adopt a much faster product cycle than competitors when your product kicks their ass hard enough already? Keynote for me was the Keynote
biggrin.gif
and I'll definitely go for the compact Powerbook.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:00 AM Post #7 of 79
But Mac users have been waiting since the killed Newton for a PDA....they've come out with inkwell, rendezvous, isync, ical, Addressbook - all these things would work really well with a pda or convergence device.

Just because Jobs hates pdas doesn't mean the masses agree with him. Instead we're forced to use Palms, or Pocketpcs - and if you go that route, you're forced to use a pc. So in the end, he's not so much forcing people to not use pdas, he's forcing Apple customers to use pc's.

It's insane, did he not ever take a marketing class? Even in marketing 101 you learn about how you should make what customers want, not what you want. If you doubt interest in an Apple pda, of to thinksecret and search on pda. See what you find. :p

Microsoft came out with Tablet pc technology, why can't Apple?

And how about better bluetooth support? As it is, you have to be a terminal jockey in order to get anything cool done.

Yes, we're all used to patting Apple on the back, but come on, Apple, it's time to hustle.

Jan 9, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #8 of 79
Forgive my naivity, but what possible use can there be for a tablet PC that you can't do on a computer now? Write down something? I'm sorry, but I don't necessarily see the relevance or the value.

As far as the PDA, If you use it for just contacts and info, you can use the Ipod. But I could see the value of a full fledged PDA, or at least PDA software.

Did he ever take a marketing class? His marketing team is great in my opinion. The commercial for the new powerbooks I think is really outstanding. And the Switch add campaign was really a great idea, but probably could have been executed a little better. Beats the hell out of "DUDE, you're gettin a Dell".

I'm definitely not a fan of hype in any way, shape, or form, but you have to give his team credit. When really is the last time there really was any "hype" for a PC product announcement?

Jan 9, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 79
Commercials are a relatively small part of marketing. :p Yeah, I've taken a few classes. I speaketh the word according to Kotler.

Spoken like one who's never tried to use an ipod as a pda. :p

List of my pdas from years (or months) past:

Jornada 680
Palm IIIc
Ipaq 3630 (whatever that first gen model was)
Psion Revo
Sony Clie 770c
Fujitsu-Seimens Pocket Loox
Palm Tungsten T

My husband has had a few of the same, but added to that (meaning I've played with em plenty) His pda of choice ATM is the Loox.

Palm IIIxe
Jornada 568

Remind me, how do I enter in data on the ipod? What about bluetooth? Can I use it as a tv remote? Oh right, that stuff is better done by a pda.

A convergence device, updated iPod (iPad), a tablet pc, a pda, any of these would have been nice. Instead we get rumors of how iMac production is stopping. :p

The use of a wireless tablet - well, for one thing you're no longer glued to your computer in order to use the computer. That chair getting uncomfy? Would you like to watch tv? Fine, just pick up the flat screen and go wherever you like. You're still connected. It's useful. :p

Microsoft introduced this last year, and Apple was a bit of a laughing stock for not having the same thing. Now was there chance and they missed it. So if any Mac users would like a tablet pc, they're forced to use a pc.

I'm just saying that Apple has been doing lots of spin and promotion but not really backing it up. Where is that cool R&D Apple is known for?

Jan 9, 2003 at 2:52 AM Post #11 of 79
Neither is a spaced out teen-age wannabe plugging Dell's.
biggrin.gif

And Bill Gates has a hard enough time staying out of monolopy court let alone marketing something.

I DID say it could have been executed better.

Jan 9, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #12 of 79
Plainsong.

Never tried to use the Ipod as a PDA because I have one, and don't need to use the Ipod. Did I not say I see the value of a full fledeged one?

Don't have to be glued to the computer to use the computer. Hmmmm

Uncomfy chair? Want to watch TV? Here's an idea. Pick up the computer and take it with you wherever you like. That's what a notebook is for, right?

Sorry but to me that's not value. Tablet PC's to me just speak of nonessential technology. Pretty soon they'll come out with portable keyboards to use with the Tablet PC's, right?
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #14 of 79
Had Apple released what you've all been asking for, you'd complain about the price or whine about ship dates or cry about missing features. Then you'll say for the millionth time that Apple had better do this or better do that or everything will go down the ****ter while blowing off everything that had been released. Has happened every time for years and will happen every time for the years to come. And yet Apple is and will still be around—even after the whiners have left and the naysayers have put in their two cents for the millionth time. Get over it; you'll never be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back