MacBook Pro with Apogee Duet or Headamp Pico or neither?
Jan 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Hartfell

New Head-Fier
I hope I'm placing this thread in the right forum.

I have recently switched to a MacBook Pro from Windows and I am very impressed with the superior sound I am getting from my current simple set up. My source is LAME INSANE encoded MP3s played through iTunes 7.6 directly out to my Grado RS-1s through the headphone out jack. I have Audio MIDI Setup set to 96/24 when using my headphones. My previous source has been a RIO Karma using the dock and lineout to my RSA SR-71 amp to Grado RS-1s. To my ears, it's tough to say which setup sounds better. Anyway, so much for the background, here are my questions:

Will I hear a significant improvement in sound quality if I add either an Apogee Duet or Headamp Pico DAC to my MacBook Pro setup? Both units are priced the same. Also, I would love opinions from those who have heard both which they think would likely be a better choice in terms of sound quality considering my particular setup of source components.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me in my choice. I am unable to try before I buy based on where I live so I wanted to get some opinions to help me decide.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 27
If I were you... I will starting to rip my CD into Lossless format.
and after that, I get Headamp Pico, since I won't use any extra features from Apogee Duet, a simple plug & play USB from Pico is enough for me.
Beside, Headamp Pico is intended for headphone use only, and since I'm focusing on headphone listening, I would get something that intended for that purpose only.

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #4 of 27
I've also seen where many aren't too impressed with the Firewire-only interface of the Duet (and the proprietary breakout cable). And while I celebrate the Mac-centric design of it (I'm a Mac guy), I figured this would limit resell value later and stopped additional researching. That, and I already ordered a Pico.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #5 of 27
I've got both the pico and the duet right now, and I can tell you, both are miles better than the built in sound. I could stick with either as my primary source and be plenty happy. The duet is more flexible, the pico is a LOT more compact, and can act as a portable amp, if you like such things.

So far, listening with iM616s and HHF1s, I don't have a preference for one over the other, but both do a spectacular job. Justin's device is a marvel, and the apogee delivers that apogee sound. Either is among the best deals in audio. The mac-only ness is a feature of the apogee, it lets them give you more for less.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got both the pico and the duet right now, and I can tell you, both are miles better than the built in sound. I could stick with either as my primary source and be plenty happy. The duet is more flexible, the pico is a LOT more compact, and can act as a portable amp, if you like such things.

So far, listening with iM616s and HHF1s, I don't have a preference for one over the other, but both do a spectacular job. Justin's device is a marvel, and the apogee delivers that apogee sound. Either is among the best deals in audio. The mac-only ness is a feature of the apogee, it lets them give you more for less.

I'll definitely buy one or the other then if you're saying there's a significant improvement in sound quality. Since you're also saying the sound quality is comparable between the two units, here's my pros and cons list. I'm excluding pros and cons that apply to both units since they're redundant.

For Pico
1) Small
2) Multi OS platform which will help with eventual resale value
3) Has amp built in
4) Designed specifically as a computer-as-source DAC for headphones

Against Pico
1) Needs AC Adapter
2) AC Adapter is almost bigger than the unit itself so it's not really so small

Pro Duet
1) Bus-powered
2) Very Mac-compatible
3) Beautiful styling

Against Duet:
1) Mac-only compatible which will make resale harder
2) Not specifically designed just as a DAC for headphones

I'd love to hear your views on the above. Also, how do you think the Duet would sound paired with the SR-71 amp?

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hartfell /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll definitely buy one or the other then if you're saying there's a significant improvement in sound quality. Since you're also saying the sound quality is comparable between the two units, here's my pros and cons list. I'm excluding pros and cons that apply to both units since they're redundant.

For Pico
1) Small
2) Multi OS platform which will help with eventual resale value
3) Has amp built in

Both have an amp built in Quote:

4) Designed specifically as a computer-as-source DAC for headphones

Against Pico
1) Needs AC Adapter
2) AC Adapter is almost bigger than the unit itself so it's not really so small

pico + power supply is definitely smaller than duet, and it'll run for quite a while on battery, so you only need power for short periods while you charge.
Quote:

Pro Duet
1) Bus-powered
2) Very Mac-compatible
3) Beautiful styling

Against Duet:
1) Mac-only compatible which will make resale harder

There's a huge market out there for the duet, lots of songwriters, home studio guys, etc. I wouldn't stress about that. Quote:

2) Not specifically designed just as a DAC for headphones

I don't think you'll mind the apogee dac sound. It sounds great. It's no less designed for headphones than the pico. Quote:

I'd love to hear your views on the above. Also, how do you think the Duet would sound paired with the SR-71 amp?

I think the SR71 would make it sound worse, with the possible exception of using it with etymotics.

I don't think you can go wrong with either. If you have no use for the ADC, tho, and only plan on using it with headphones, I'd go with the pico. Justin's a great guy, supports the community, and will take care of you. That said, there's nothing bad to say about apogee customer service.

Jan 21, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

I think the SR71 would make it sound worse, with the possible exception of using it with etymotics.

Why would that be the case? Are you saying that the Duet's built-in headphone amp sounds better?

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

I'm saying that without a doubt, no question in my mind, the amp in the duet sounds better.

How about mixing it up just a bit and assuming someone out there might have a Duet + Arietta (very possible
wink.gif
). What would you tend to think about that setup as opposed to using strictly the Duet for DAC + amp functions, and using headphones such as HD580s and DT770-80s (again, very possible that someone out there might own all of this
tongue.gif
).

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #12 of 27
when I saw Apogee I was thinking swiftech...continue

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 27
I can say that the duet sounds great feeding my balanced m3, and I can't imagine it won't do just fine feeding any amp. So if you like your amp, and just want to improve your source, both the pico and duet would do a fine job of that. Then you can trust your ears as to whether the built-in amp outperforms the external amp.

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

I'm saying that without a doubt, no question in my mind, the amp in the duet sounds better.

I've read several "implications" in various Pico threads that the amp section of the Pico, though good, is not it's strong point. How would you say the Pico amp compares with the SR-71? I'm not going off on a tangent here. Just trying to gather data while I make up my mind.

Also, I'm curious, why you have both? Are you a musician?

Jan 21, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 27
I have both to compare them.

I'll just say you have to trust your ears whether you think the sr71 is better. I had one, I kept it for a couple of months, and sold it in favor of the supermacro v1. That was several years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back