macbook pro users - portable dac/amp question!!
Apr 8, 2008 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
hey guys, ive got a new macbook pro, and im looking to get a portable dac/amp combo that will be a great match to it. i know theres quite a lot of decent options on the market right now. my main two choices right now are the pico with dac and the headroom micro portable with dac. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two? anyone owned both? my only concern with using the usb is, wont that be a bit of a waste seeing that the mbp has "bit-perfect" optical output via the 1/8" jack? would i be better off using a mini to mini optical cable to feed the headroom micro as opposed to using usb? are there any "negatives" associated with using usb as opposed to optical? any suggestions would be more than welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 8, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm interested in this question as well, I don't want my MBP's headphone jack just sitting there collecting dust now.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my only concern with using the usb is, wont that be a bit of a waste seeing that the mbp has "bit-perfect" optical output via the 1/8" jack? would i be better off using a mini to mini optical cable to feed the headroom micro as opposed to using usb? are there any "negatives" associated with using usb as opposed to optical? any suggestions would be more than welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

USB output from a Mac using iTunes is also bit perfect. Many people prefer this over optical.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:38 PM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey guys, ive got a new macbook pro, and im looking to get a portable dac/amp combo that will be a great match to it. i know theres quite a lot of decent options on the market right now. my main two choices right now are the pico with dac and the headroom micro portable with dac. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two? anyone owned both? my only concern with using the usb is, wont that be a bit of a waste seeing that the mbp has "bit-perfect" optical output via the 1/8" jack? would i be better off using a mini to mini optical cable to feed the headroom micro as opposed to using usb? are there any "negatives" associated with using usb as opposed to optical? any suggestions would be more than welcome!
smily_headphones1.gif

I've heard a friend's Zhaolu 2.5 DAC with upgraded headphone stage. I'm impressed with the price/performance ratio. He said he can upgrade it for under $100 to compete with high end DACs (I'll have to see about that, as he is aiming it to beat my Proceed CD player). If you feel Mac's output are "bit perfect", a dedicated DAC like a Zhaolu would be a big step up for your system. The only thing I don't like about Zhaolu is its lack of USB I/O, that took a piece out of ultimate flexibility.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #5 of 18
usb on the mac is limited to 44/16. Not a huge deal, since most source material is 44/16, but it is what it is. The pico is a spectacular little unit.

I haven't heard the headroom.

I ended up buying the apogee duet. if you can go a little larger, it's worth considering as well.

Apr 8, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 18
id say the size of the zhaolu moreso puts it out of the picture for me since im looking for a portable dac/amp combo!
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to have a zhaolu in my home rig too btw, but ive sold it to upgrade to the dual dacs in the cambridge audio 840c.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
usb on the mac is limited to 44/16. Not a huge deal, since most source material is 44/16, but it is what it is. The pico is a spectacular little unit.

I haven't heard the headroom.

I ended up buying the apogee duet. if you can go a little larger, it's worth considering as well.

USB on a Mac is fully capable of 24/96. I'm listening to it right now on a Benchmark DAC1 PRE

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Btw, the bit-perfectness of the mac's output isn't a feeling, it's a fact.

yea thats what i thought. so...its what makes me wonder, would bit perfect to a headroom unit via optical > than usb (16 bit) to a pico via usb? im really really curious. i guess i shouldve been clearer in my OP, im looking for something that i can use with my laptop as well as being able to use on the go with just my ipod if need be.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:05 AM Post #10 of 18
I'd find it hard to believe the headroom would sound better than the pico, but I guess it's possible. I may find out in a few weeks.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #11 of 18
Ok, given the choices he was discussing, usb is limited to 44/48khz/16bit. I sometimes forget that not specifically defining parameters cause people to react strongly on the internet
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Btw, the bit-perfectness of the mac's output isn't a feeling, it's a fact.

Believe it! It's Apple marketing. I say no more.
biggrin.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Marketting has nothing to do with accurate digital out. What's your issue?

I don't believe the claim. Period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back