MacBook Audio!? - Newbie post!
Mar 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MartinM

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

A very general question but a few tips would go down well...

Currently running MacbookPro with a iBasso D6 into Fischer Audio FA-003.
Really pleased with this but wondering how better it would get with a desktop DAC may be?
Also I have started using the line out to record to my studio open reel machine, my main passion!
I have downloaded a few supposed 24bit tracks and I'd like to make the best of this without spending mega bucks!

Any suggestions? Please be gentle! :)

Martin

Mar 27, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #2 of 17

Quote:
Hi guys,

A very general question but a few tips would go down well...

Currently running MacbookPro with a iBasso D6 into Fischer Audio FA-003.
Really pleased with this but wondering how better it would get with a desktop DAC may be?
Also I have started using the line out to record to my studio open reel machine, my main passion!
I have downloaded a few supposed 24bit tracks and I'd like to make the best of this without spending mega bucks!

Any suggestions? Please be gentle! :)

Martin

Desktop DAC's with a better DAC could arguably make it better, but remember. Everyone's ear's are different and how much better for how much money you will spend is also a problem.

What would have the biggest impact on sound at this point if you just leave your MBP and D6 as is would be better tracks, new headphone, or new AMP.

For the new amp you could just dual amp it with the D6(i don't think the D6 has a line out) or just get another desktop dac/amp combo(very expensive) that others recommend you.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 17
Macs have the most horrible built in DACs. I've used Macs all my life so I know. A USB DAC is of crucial importance.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Macs have the most horrible built in DACs. I've used Macs all my life so I know. A USB DAC is of crucial importance.

yea another +1 for usb dec. it will really change the way you experience your amp/headphones now.

Mar 27, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 17
DACs are far more important than Amps if your built in sound card is no good, and that's the case with most laptops. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 17
Thanks all... sounds like a new DAC might be a good plan...
Done some research now...omg... how much! :)
So do you go for a DAC/AMP combo or a seperate DAC and Headphone amp?
Depends I guess...lol Whole point of this forum... :)

Will keep reading/ researching and post something more specific later! :)

Mar 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 17
I'm a bit confused as to what you're looking for, OP. I looked up the iBasso D6 and it looks like it has a USB in and a line out. This makes it a standalone 24/96 DAC if you connect it as such. This setup is not adequate for your needs? You can add an amp withot shopping for a DAC/amp, unless there's something I'm missing here.

Mar 28, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #9 of 17
Hi Lurkumaural

Yes, you're right..... currently the D6 does exactly what I need.
The point of my post is that I would like to invest in something that does the same thing but sounds better.
The D6 and FA003 are relatively modestly priced and perform well but I would like to make the next step...
So I guess, if I get a better DAC would I run the output through the amp of the D6?
Quite like the idea of a valve amp though so may be buy both a DAC and a new AMP or may be a combo...
If I do, do either of those options then do I get the best from the FA003's or will they restrict the benefit from a better set up?
Bit too general a question may be!?

Hope this makes sense?

Mar 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 17
You certainly can upgrade your DAC and amp in one shot, but if you're sweating prices right now, maybe you just pick up an inexpensive amp because you don't know that your DAC is the weak link... unless you've tried the D6 as a standalone amp and thought otherwise.  I don't own a D6 and I haven't looked up what it does, but seeing as it has an aux out that's where I'd be inclined to hook up an amp.  Maybe someone who's owned or at least researched the D6 can tell you if that's a line-level out or else if you're double-amping.

Of course you can get a DAC and use your D6 as the amp stage.  But the cool thing is you could do the opposite too.  Unfortunately you have a lot of options. 
tongue.gif

I'm one of those people who just made the big jump to a higher grade DAC/amp combo, but that's only because the deal was there and it made sense to do so, i.e. I really wanted that amp design and it cost about what I would have paid for a standalone amp.  My DAC at the time was not disappointing me.  Nothing wrong with buying as high as you can go, but if you're trying to do this strategically, you could do more to determine exactly which piece of your chain is wanting.

Mar 29, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the great reply.... exactly what I was trying to ask.
Stupidly, I had not clicked that the line out was effectively DAC out! Derr ... sorry :)

I think it now comes down to finding a shop locally where I can listen to a few combinations to get an idea of what you get for your money!

Many thanks :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 9:15 AM Post #12 of 17
Here is what every Mac owner should do:

[MacBook] ---USB---> [Insert USB DAC Here] ---RCA---> [Insert Amp Here] ---6.3mm---> [Insert Headphones Here]

Some people actually try to skip the DAC with the 3.5mm to RCA converter...which is totally stupid. You shouldn't do that.

Mar 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM Post #13 of 17
Here is what every Mac owner should do:

[MacBook] ---USB---> [Insert USB DAC Here] ---RCA---> [Insert Amp Here] ---6.3mm---> [Insert Headphones Here]

Some people actually try to skip the DAC with the 3.5mm to RCA converter...which is totally stupid. You shouldn't do that.
Come on now, every Mac owner? Many of us have optical and Firewire outs. I use those exclusively, even though my DAC also has a USB input. Also, not every DAC-to-amp interconnect is gonna be RCA. And not every headphone jack is gonna be 6.3mm. I make frequent use of my 4-pin XLR balanced output when I want more power.

Sure, what you're suggesting is a decent solution, but it's only one of many. And for the record I'd never choose USB over other digital connections.

Mar 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #14 of 17
Interesting....

so can you fill me in on connection options out of a Mac?

Looks like USB or Firewire800 if I read this all right!?
So what connector/connection do you have / feed on the other end of the firewire cable?
Is that a coaxial or bnc type connector / connection you have as inputs on a DAC?
Looks like Firewire 800 is potentially quicker than USB?
Can you fill me in on the finer points please?

Thanks guys :)

Mar 29, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #15 of 17
Last i checked RCA was just another implementation of 3.5mm. A few searches form head-fi'ers says there is little to no sound difference. Might just be placebo.

Next..why USB and then amp? There are many all in one units and considering...that we are talking about a Macbook. A portable DAC and amp can just skip those parts. and why an adapter? 6.3mm? If your headphone needs an adapter..then fine, but otherwise why the need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back