MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread
Aug 22, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #121 of 235
So after listening to them for about an hour, here are a couple of things:

1. is there such a thing as headphones being too clear sounding?  The clarity on these are amazing... but I feel as if the music has had all its clothing stripped away and is fully naked... which can remove some of that "mystery" of the sound, if you know what I mean.   Music tracks that were previously a little hard to fully hear now are exposed in all its glory, and sometimes it loses its magic.  Kind of like looking at a sexy lady wearing a killer black dress compared to looking at the trampy body underneath revealing all of the flaws.

2. the cord somehow interacts with my touch screen as if it were a finger. When my phone screen is on, the cord would barely brush against certain parts of my phone screen and it would occasionally activate elements on the screen, like an accidental finger touch...  The material almost seem like they are capacitive like capacitive pens.  Not sure I like that.

I'll have to keep listening to these over the days / weeks and see how my impression changes.

My Xiaomi Piston 3 headphones are really starting to emerge and impress the hell out of me after being initially very disappointed.  

These are starting off much better, and I hope they continue to improve over time like the Piston 3's. If so these will be steallar!!

Aug 22, 2015 at 7:34 PM Post #122 of 235
I went ahead and bought these off Amazon because I have prime for two-day shipping. These look like they're tank level bq. :)

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #123 of 235
I don't know how you'd go about getting proper silver filters if you got them off Massdrop. In my case I contacted the eBay seller which I believe is Penon. Not entirely certain though.

Thanks for your reply. I did contact Massdrop's customer service people and found them to be very responsive and accommodating. I heard back from two different representatives very quickly, one of whom offered a refund and the other willingness to request replacement silver filters from MacaW for me. I chose the second option and now wait to hear back from Massdrop about delivery. So far, so good! I'll keep you posted. Has anyone else found this issue with their new GT100's?

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #124 of 235
I have to say, besides the cable being a little more flimsy than I originally thought it would be. These, so far, live up to my expectations. The BQ is way above something of this price range, the packaging was done very well, the sound without burn-in & just the stock tips is pretty damn good. I cannot wait till these have 50 or so hours on them.

A few points:
- They're heavy for an IEM, but when in my ear the weight seems to disappear due to the form-factor.
- The case was really pretty, but very hard to get into. It probably would have helped if I remembered the instructions on the back.
- I absolutely love the case that came with it. It's probably one of my favorite iem cases. Only case I can remember beating it (in terms of style) is the FAD H V metal case.
- I wore them for maybe twenty minutes and the isolation is definitely above average. Put them in, put on some music at a moderate volume, and you'll be in your own world.
- The cable is really flimsy for how heavy the iem is. I'm sure it's been tested, but I would have preferred something a little thicker or even a standard MMCX port.

Aug 24, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #125 of 235
I'm really enjoying the black filters + auvio tips. I think silver filters are the best overall, black are the funnest, and gold are trash imho. Gold just sounds like silver with less bass. Auvio tips are working well but I've yet to try any extensive tip rolling or even the included foams. Burn-in supposedly works on the drivers, iirc, but do you think each individual filter might need a small amount of resonance to fully open? I don't imagine that's the case but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #126 of 235

I don’t yet have a preference between the Soundmagic e80 and the Macaw GT100 earphones. I really like the sound quality of both IEMs. If I could only have one I think I would go with the e80 because it cost only $52 from the Micca Store. It is very lightweight but build quality is excellent. The anodized aluminum gives it a high tech/high quality feel. The only thing I don’t like about it is the red color. I also think the e80 may be a little easier to drive without an amp but ‘amping’ adds more depth and punch IMO.

On the other hand, the ‘gadget addict’ side of me prefers the GT100. For $80 (delivered) from Amazon, they offer a lot of value and all of the inserts and tips provided are fun to experiment with. Also, the leather carrying case is nice and it is the first IEM case that I actually use for some reason. I normally toss IEM carrying cases in a drawer and never use them. The amped GT 100 reminds me of the sound of the Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, which are my reference. Now that I think about it, so do the e80s.

A clear preference may surface over the next couple of weeks. I’ll keep you updated ozkan.

Im also interested in knowing which is better, the over the ear and heaviness are aspects im not fan of,  however IM still interested on the MacaW.
but kinda more into Soundmagic E80, specially if it was upgrade from current Ostry kc06..waiting to know your preference.

Sep 3, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #127 of 235
Been using the Flare R2As for the better part of this last week, but decided to give the Macaws a listen again tonight and jimmeny Christmas these sound so damn good.
redface.gif

So how do Macaws compare with R2A? Thank you.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #131 of 235
  my silver filters aren't the same also.. bought on Amazon.de

http://i.imgur.com/LGiARjP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fq14yuL.jpg

did you guys manage to get your filters replaced?

That's ridiculous lol. Sorry. At least my silver filters were the same damn size!

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #133 of 235
The Macaws are sounding awesome tonight! 

Listening to Cafe Blue by Patricia Baker from HDTRACKS. 
Detail is amazing.   There are some new guitar slides here. 
Percussion is crisp with some snap to it. 
The vocals.... ahhhhhh,  the vocals.   I can close my eyes and I'm sitting at a front row table in a smoky little club,  while those vocals sooth away the cares of the day. 
Thank you Macaw! 

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #134 of 235
The Macaws are sounding awesome tonight! 

Listening to Cafe Blue by Patricia Baker from HDTRACKS. 
Detail is amazing.   There are some new guitar slides here. 
Percussion is crisp with some snap to it. 
The vocals.... ahhhhhh,  the vocals.   I can close my eyes and I'm sitting at a front row table in a smoky little club,  while those vocals sooth away the cares of the day. 
Thank you Macaw! 

Glad you're still digging them BG. Every time I pop them in, I'm amazed at that sound too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back