MacaW GT100s(inverted dynamic driver) impressions thread
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:27 AM Post #46 of 235
I don't know what you're talking about, the filters are all the exact same size.  EXACT same size.  The only thing that differs between the three is how much foam dampening material there is in the nozzle.

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:12 AM Post #48 of 235
I dunno, mine aren't the same size. Maybe they got them mixed up with some of the RHA filters or something.
(same order)

Well I guess MacaW must really be the OEM for RHA. That would explain why these sounds so damn good - they're not actually MacaW's first IEM. I've already had Penon send me a gold filter, may as well as see about getting the silvers that were intended for this earphone in the first place.

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #49 of 235
I dunno, mine aren't the same size. Maybe they got them mixed up with some of the RHA filters or something.
(same order)

Well I guess MacaW must really be the OEM for RHA. That would explain why these sounds so damn good - they're not actually MacaW's first IEM. I've already had Penon send me a gold filter, may as well as see about getting the silvers that were intended for this earphone in the first place.

@Selenium I'm starting to believe that also. I have the T10's and the filters are exactly the size of the smaller ones you have. My GT100's came with the same size larger ones though. Sorry can't post pictures, I'm at work.

Jun 30, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #50 of 235
Well now isn't that interesting. My Macaws were ordered from Shenzen Audio off of Amazon, not Penon. Given the size differences I would have to assume I got the correct filters. Like I mentioned, the only difference in my filters is that there is foam dampening material in the silver and black filters and none in the gold. They are otherwise identical.

Jun 30, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #51 of 235
Wow I ordered these just under a week ago from Penon and they're already here! I can't believe they managed to get it from HK to the UK so quickly, especially when it was only dispatched 3 days ago on a Saturday! 

First impressions of the packaging: Amazing. Feels very heavy for earphones. I think these are the heaviest IEMs I've received including the packaging. 

I know it's been mentioned before but it's funny that there are instructions on how to unbox the product itself. What's even more funny is that the picture guide isn't very good at telling you how to unbox it heh.

The accessories are pretty amazing considering how much this cost. The instruction manual tells you about the filters, sound curve and some other blurb and is in simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese and almost perfect English. 

The weight of the IEMs are pretty damn heavy. I've owned things like the Ortofon EQ-5 before but it was nowhere as heavy as these but thankfully once they're in your ear, they're comfortable. You do notice that they're there but it's still comfortable. 

The filters are exactly the same size for me. I don't actually see any foam inside any of them but I've tested them out and they do indeed have different signatures. The black one appears to have more meshing or perhaps a thin layer of foam as it seems darker when I look through them into the sky. I can't really tell much difference visually between the silver and gold filters other than the colour as they both don't seem to have any foam but yet again they sound different.

Onto sound impressions; when I first got them out with the default silver filters and black ear tips, they sounded rather average as I could not get a good seal. I then switched to the provided transparent white tips and the sound quality improved much more.

Gold filters - I thought I would actually prefer these the most as I wanted a bright sound signature to replace my CK10s however, to my ears, these actually sounded more V-shaped than bright. Yes, the treble was enhanced, but the bass was too. This made vocal tracks sound too intimate and the bass would overpower the midrange. This was not the sound that I was after out of these. 

Black filters - I tried these out for fun, expecting some head shaking bass but it was actually rather tame. With these there was definitely more bass and sub bass but the decay was short and the soundstage was large to me so it didn't actually seem as bassy as the gold filters. It did sound slightly veiled though. I then went back to the silver filters again.

Silver filters - After trying all filters twice and going back to the silver ones, I'm in love with them. The detail retrieval is amazing and it is perfectly balanced and tuned for me. Bass is never overpowering with the silver filters and never lacking either. The mids are perfect and sound natural with the highs providing the sparkle and detail without sounding artificial or tiring. This is what I was looking for when I purchased the IM02 but I never really enjoyed them.

I wish I had my CK10s as I would love to compare them to see which is technically better but for the price I got these GT100s (£45) I am very happy. I think even if they were triple the price, I would still be very happy with these. I'm surprised noone else is trying these! They are amazing value for £45 ($69). 

I need to compare them to the Ostry KC06A, my ATH-IM02 and even my SM3 and 3.Ai.S one day. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:02 PM Post #53 of 235
So yeah, apparently it's possible to crack the glass faceplates on the Macaws.  Doesn't affect sound or functionality but it doesn't look as pretty any more.

Bummer. What happened?

Oh, also, I guess the first batch of GT100s' were shipped with the short silver filters. For some reason. At least that's what I was told!

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #55 of 235
  Wow I ordered these just under a week ago from Penon and they're already here! I can't believe they managed to get it from HK to the UK so quickly, especially when it was only dispatched 3 days ago on a Saturday! 

First impressions of the packaging: Amazing. Feels very heavy for earphones. I think these are the heaviest IEMs I've received including the packaging. 

I know it's been mentioned before but it's funny that there are instructions on how to unbox the product itself. What's even more funny is that the picture guide isn't very good at telling you how to unbox it heh.

The accessories are pretty amazing considering how much this cost. The instruction manual tells you about the filters, sound curve and some other blurb and is in simplified Chinese, traditional Chinese and almost perfect English. 

The weight of the IEMs are pretty damn heavy. I've owned things like the Ortofon EQ-5 before but it was nowhere as heavy as these but thankfully once they're in your ear, they're comfortable. You do notice that they're there but it's still comfortable. 

The filters are exactly the same size for me. I don't actually see any foam inside any of them but I've tested them out and they do indeed have different signatures. The black one appears to have more meshing or perhaps a thin layer of foam as it seems darker when I look through them into the sky. I can't really tell much difference visually between the silver and gold filters other than the colour as they both don't seem to have any foam but yet again they sound different.

Onto sound impressions; when I first got them out with the default silver filters and black ear tips, they sounded rather average as I could not get a good seal. I then switched to the provided transparent white tips and the sound quality improved much more.

Gold filters - I thought I would actually prefer these the most as I wanted a bright sound signature to replace my CK10s however, to my ears, these actually sounded more V-shaped than bright. Yes, the treble was enhanced, but the bass was too. This made vocal tracks sound too intimate and the bass would overpower the midrange. This was not the sound that I was after out of these. 

Black filters - I tried these out for fun, expecting some head shaking bass but it was actually rather tame. With these there was definitely more bass and sub bass but the decay was short and the soundstage was large to me so it didn't actually seem as bassy as the gold filters. It did sound slightly veiled though. I then went back to the silver filters again.

Silver filters - After trying all filters twice and going back to the silver ones, I'm in love with them. The detail retrieval is amazing and it is perfectly balanced and tuned for me. Bass is never overpowering with the silver filters and never lacking either. The mids are perfect and sound natural with the highs providing the sparkle and detail without sounding artificial or tiring. This is what I was looking for when I purchased the IM02 but I never really enjoyed them.

I wish I had my CK10s as I would love to compare them to see which is technically better but for the price I got these GT100s (£45) I am very happy. I think even if they were triple the price, I would still be very happy with these. I'm surprised noone else is trying these! They are amazing value for £45 ($69). 

I need to compare them to the Ostry KC06A, my ATH-IM02 and even my SM3 and 3.Ai.S one day. 

Could you make a comparison (even if it's by memory) with the E-Q5? I had one that broke and i'm looking for a substitute for it.

Thanks!

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:30 PM Post #56 of 235

Could you make a comparison (even if it's by memory) with the E-Q5? I had one that broke and i'm looking for a substitute for it.

Thanks!

Sorry, I'm afraid I never really liked the E-Q5 so I wouldn't be able to give you an accurate answer to that at all, even if I were to guess from memory. 

Jul 3, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #59 of 235
The cable is not removable, isolation is above average and there must be a non-mic version somewhere as the 'S' denotes the mic/remote version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back