Mac Users - Entourage or Mail?
Feb 13, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #16 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see the advantage of using Gmail on the desktop. You can access Gmail just fine through Mail's IMAP. I can't fathom the need for something like Mailplane. It made sense when there was no IMAP interface to Gmail, but that's history now. If you use Gmail exclusively, you can't search your messages using Spotlight, can't integrate your mail into a workflow with other applications, etc.

Well I mostly agree with you Wodgy, but any general email client isn't going to be built around a specific services peculiarities (a.k.a. advantages). So creating a tagging workflow inside Gmail is difficult for instance in a folder like prog. Plus there's the message v. conversion view (Mail.apps conversion title "linkage" has issues from my experience). Like Mail.app, coupled with Firefox/greasemonkey you could do plenty of extras like MailTags. Also if you do more web apps/services you can integrate RememberTheMilk, various GTDs, etc. I agree there's far less of a reason to use MailPlane now, but at least for me that's less to do with IMAP, than Fluid. I'm using site specific browsers for email, IM (Meebo), SlimServer/SqueezeCenter and Docs and Spread. And if you use Gmail (either exclusively or to pull other addresses in), I'd argue why introduce another app into the mix (though you've give a good one - integration)?

The above doesn't integrate with the OS (though MailPlane did a little with graphics). Depending on your browser interface you may have still have access to "services" if that helps (it does with me in DEVONthink). As for search Google itself is pretty good at that.
wink.gif
MailPlane or Fluid isn't really a "desktop app" though - not sure if this was what you were referring to as "Gmail on the desktop".

Again, I don't want to assume my workflow is normal, but I have two laptops in front of me and will likely be at a friends tonight without either. My manipulation, and full use of the features of Gmail from any location, is best done with a browser window. And since you can host your domain email for free, that's a whole other thing.

All this is of course personal preference. Web email may be a nice extra when you need it but nothing more. I'm the opposite and think desktop email (well desktop anything) is a sometimes necessary evil. I certainly haven't thrown my full support behind "the cloud" cause I'm backing up email locally. So there I'm a bit of a hypocrite.
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 10:37 PM Post #18 of 50
I've used Claris Emailer and Eudora in the past. Now it's all Mail.

See ya
Steve

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I mostly agree with you Wodgy, but any general email client isn't going to be built around a specific services peculiarities (a.k.a. advantages). So creating a tagging workflow inside Gmail is difficult for instance in a folder like prog. Plus there's the message v. conversion view (Mail.apps conversion title "linkage" has issues from my experience). Like Mail.app, coupled with Firefox/greasemonkey you could do plenty of extras like MailTags. Also if you do more web apps/services you can integrate RememberTheMilk, various GTDs, etc. I agree there's far less of a reason to use MailPlane now, but at least for me that's less to do with IMAP, than Fluid. I'm using site specific browsers for email, IM (Meebo), SlimServer/SqueezeCenter and Docs and Spread. And if you use Gmail (either exclusively or to pull other addresses in), I'd argue why introduce another app into the mix (though you've give a good one - integration)?

Third-party CSS hacks to Gmail are not anywhere near the same level as tools like MailTags. (If you include full-scale applications like TimeLog that integrate with the systemwide store in Leopard, the gulf is even greater.) And the hacks have a tendency to break every time there's a major change at Gmail. It's like using a system patched together with duct tape. The situation might be different if Gmail had an official plug-in interface that people were using, but it doesn't.

I'm skeptical of all the "cloud" stuff for a variety of reasons. Reliability is a probably the biggest one. I personally lost a bunch of messages way back when Gmail first introduced its POP interface, and I'm not generally confident Google's in-house testing practices have improved. There was a thread recently on Head-Fi where someone's Docs and Spreadsheets document suddenly went blank, and there was nothing he could do to recover it. I've heard similar experiences from others as well. At least on the desktop we have Apple doing a decent job at testing, we benefit from the whole backup architecture in Leopard, and we benefit from consistent user-interface conventions across the applications we use. Using Mail doesn't mean you can't use the Gmail web interface when you're away from your main computer, so you don't give anything up, but you gain a whole lot by using Mail. The only thing you gain by using Gmail directly is one particular view for your messages.

Feb 13, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #20 of 50
Well maybe we just disagree here on advantages (over features). Gmail by itself, not CSS hacks, is pretty sophisticated tagging if used properly. I'd never use the advanced functionality of MailTags that's not in place elsewhere (maybe this all comes down to where you start - I schedule and GTD in Milk - which I believe hasn't broken with a Gmail update maybe because many in Google use it - so why switch to an app on only one computer?). Timetracking software not available from anywhere - simply would be a no-go for me. Questions arise at odd times. And I wouldn't be as strongly recommending Gmail if it was just a conduit to downloading mail. I certainly view it more extensible than just Yahoo or Hotmail (less because what I discovered there than what I've read on LifeHacker, etc.). As for reliability, my MacBook went down a few weeks ago (luckily the HD didn't die). I've never lost an email in Yahoo Mail, Gmail or Hotmail. But like I said I'm playing it both ways by backing up locally too.

And to each their own. It may just be away from my computers more than most (the biggest advantage and possibly moot for many). Maybe I'm just bias because I've made the move and surprised to hear people going the other direction. And cloud skepticism is a good thing. I'm doubtful how responsive Adobes online Photoshop is going to be.
wink.gif

EDIT: And of course a short bit after typing the above this hit my RSS reader. Backups would have saved the data and no one is recommending Entourage here, but still.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:01 AM Post #21 of 50
GMail through Mail... sometimes it craps out on me and I have to quit Mail, but that's rare. I do have one problem with Mail, though: whenever I do try and quit it, it just sits there, so I have to force-quit it. It's not the biggest deal, but I do wonder why.

Feb 14, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #22 of 50
Mail. And it works with my Touch. And it's integrated with Address Book. Why even think of anything else?

C

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #24 of 50
I personally haven't used Entourage since Windows. Mail is robust enough for daily e-mail tasks.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:05 AM Post #25 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tylernol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mail. But gmail + mail aren't too fun to use together. (just saying)

I used mailplane when it was in beta for months and really liked it. I'll give Fluid a shot, that seems cool. Thanks blessingx

Tyler

Why are they not fun to use together?

I use this 100% of the time. I have 3 "gmail" accounts. 1 actual gmail account and 2 accounts hosted by google (all working the exact same way). Using the POP settings I archive my email with mail and with the Quicksilver and Spotlight integration with Mail I have insanely fast access to all my messages. When not near my laptop, I have ready access to my email via any comp with web access. It's a win win and I have never had a single problem. Anecdotal of course but I know of quite a few folks who do the same and have never had any problems.

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #28 of 50
I'll be the contrary one and suggest Thunderbird using the Penelope (Eudora) add-on. All that Eudora goodness in a nice working form, complete with the Eudora sound.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 50
i am using gmail with mail as it has imap support. my yahoo feeds my gmail and my gmail my mail account. i like it but comparing it with entourage is not really fair for microsoft as mail is an application that is included free in the os. for entourage you must buy first the office suite which is putting too much favour with the free mail app.

mail does have troubles. if i change servers without closing it sometimes, it kills all processes on my computer. i have never seen or heard of that with a microsoft app on windows. mail is great but as with all apple apps, there is something to really complain about.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #30 of 50
Mail.app. It deals very well with IMAP, unlike Microsoft mail clients. I run my own mail server because I don't trust Google, Yahoo or Microsoft with my privacy, and unlike webmails Mail.app supports S/MIME digital signatures (then again so does Outlook and presumably Entourage).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back