Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jun 22, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,891 of 3,495
Quote:

I have a Dragonfly, nice little DAC, should work just fine with BitPerfect.

I really had problems getting the DF to handshake with PureMusic as well as BitPerfect.  I have not had that problem with Amarra.  I can only describe my experience.  Frankly I liked both BitPerfect and PureMusic. BitPerfect was the first music player I tried, for the cost I thought it delivered really good bang for the buck.  

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #1,892 of 3,495
I'm fairly new to the Audiofile world. I just picked up a pair of HD598 and a Fiio E17 to help me get all I can out of MacBook Pro. I'm a traveling musician so my vinyl unfortunately stays at home most of the time. I was looking for an alternative to iTunes and stnled across this awesome thread. I will of course look throughout at the suggestions but was curios if anyone had suggestions of a player for my current set up. Thank you for your help!

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #1,893 of 3,495
I've tried Fidelia, Audirvana Plus, Amarra and Bitperfect and Decibel.  If your looking to jump right in I would go with Audirvana Plus.  To me it is the most transparent and feature packed player for the money.  I also prefer how it allows the user to organize the music library with itunes but plays songs through its own software.  This also allows the use of the Remote app to control itunes remotely.  I also really like that it is updated almost monthly, bringing new features or improved quality.  If your on more of a budget Bitperfect is a great set-and-forget app to play various bitrate files without having to manually change it.  

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #1,894 of 3,495
I think it really depends on the user. Audrivana and Amarra are my favorite full featured players,
however If find myself using BitPerfect more and more.

If you want the bells and whistles, tons of choices, if you want set and forget, BitPerfect, no brainer.

Jun 30, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,896 of 3,495
I've tried Fidelia, Audirvana Plus, Amarra and Bitperfect and Decibel.  If your looking to jump right in I would go with Audirvana Plus.  To me it is the most transparent and feature packed player for the money.  I also prefer how it allows the user to organize the music library with itunes but plays songs through its own software.  This also allows the use of the Remote app to control itunes remotely.  I also really like that it is updated almost monthly, bringing new features or improved quality.  If your on more of a budget Bitperfect is a great set-and-forget app to play various bitrate files without having to manually change it.  

I think that is all good advice. Keep in mind most every player, half-dozen maybe even a dozen of them, will have a free version to use for a while so you will have plenty of time to do some evaluating and choosing.

I use Fidelia, iTunes (looking into Bitperfect), and recently decided to give Decibel another trial. (w/MBP)

I like how Decibel worked, the remote works … but I'm not sure about playlists. (that is where Fidelia is lacking).

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:00 PM Post #1,897 of 3,495
Quote:
I think that is all good advice. Keep in mind most every player, half-dozen maybe even a dozen of them, will have a free version to use for a while so you will have plenty of time to do some evaluating and choosing.

I use Fidelia, iTunes (looking into Bitperfect), and recently decided to give Decibel another trial. (w/MBP)

I like how Decibel worked, the remote works … but I'm not sure about playlists. (that is where Fidelia is lacking).

I like the idea of free trials, different setups favor one player over another. 

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #1,900 of 3,495
Quote:
I'm really interested in this subject as well but do any of these players really make a difference if all of you music is standard iTunes Match 256k files?

Most of these players offer a free trial, and Audirvana Plus has its completely free counterpart: Audirvana Free.
You can give them a try for yourself and see if they're worth the price to you. :)

Jul 12, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,904 of 3,495
In Audirvana, you can set the max sample rate to 96KHz. When doing so, it shows my DAC playing at 24/96KHz like I want. I can't seem to find any similar settings with Amarra. Is this not possible? Emailed their support but no response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back