Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jul 22, 2011 at 4:51 AM Post #781 of 3,495

Quote:
Also, most built-in drives are region-locked but it's not overly difficult to find a region free DVD drive instead. Sure, I know this isn't a big deal for most people but I wish I'd known after three years of University in London and all the **** movies I bought... Came back and couldn't watch any of them.

Just use VLC dude.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #783 of 3,495

Quote:
If Apple keep deleting optical drives from their machines, I'll keep crossing them off my shortlists.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-mac-mini-2/4505-3118_7-34850078.html?part=cnet&subj=Apple+Mac+Mini+%282.5GHz+Core+i5%252C+Summer+2011%29

Sure, those of you with topnotch internet connections wont miss a beat, but how do you plan to rip your CDs to the hard drive ? I've had a couple of Mac Minis, and loved them both, but this is moving into the 'computer as appliance' realm already occupied by the much cheaper Apple TV. Epic fail, guys.

You can always add a superdrive for 79 bux if you need one.  I've had a Macbook Air since mid 2009 and that option works very well.  What's wrong with the superdrive solution?

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #784 of 3,495

Quote:

I am now convinced that there is something wrong with my iTunes config somewhere as the difference is quite pronounced - to my ears Fidelia sounds far richer and with a much-improved sound-stage...

I will recheck my iTunes tonight and make sure I haven't got any hidden EQ or that stupid sound boost turned on somewhere...

Agree. Forth day here with the Fidelia trial period, and find it a nice improvement over iTunes. Is Fidelia Advanced worthwhile?

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #785 of 3,495
I had a similar problem and it was the "Sound Killer" oh, sorry, the "Sound Enhancer" feature... 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #787 of 3,495
I found some issues with Lion and Pure Music, who are working on resolution.  Integer support seems to have been dropped by Apple, the Channel D team has told me they're looking into this and if there may be other workarounds or new paths to similar performance through changes in Core Audio.

My software had an issue with clipping on the DACPort, but is working great on the D6 with up sampling.  

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 22, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #788 of 3,495
The driver for my DAC (W4S DAC-2) doesn't support Integer mode. PM under OS X 10.7 is working fine for me so far.   

Which DAC are you using with Integer support? 

Quote:
I found some issues with Lion and Pure Music, who are working on resolution.  Integer support seems to have been dropped by Apple, the Channel D team has told me they're looking into this and if there may be other workarounds or new paths to similar performance through changes in Core Audio.

My software had an issue with clipping on the DACPort, but is working great on the D6 with up sampling.  

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #789 of 3,495

1.8a is working fine with my iBasso D6 with up sampling, etc.  With my DACPort I had terrible clipping.  I'm sure Channel D will sort it out.  When I hear more from them on integer mode I'll pass it on...

EDIT:  Oddly, when I came home tonight the clipping was gone.  I connected a D6 then toggled DIM ON/OFF, and problem gone on the DACPort.  I have to have DIM off and go to +12 to get clipping on the DACPort now.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #790 of 3,495

Quote:
Minus the crappy UI, laggy performance, and instability you're totally right, VLC player will ignore regions. On those DVDs it can actually play...

Laggy performance and instability are the last words that come to my mind. VLC never lag nor crash on me and it runs smooth and fast. Much better than any video player I have used on Mac. Even the built-in apple dvd player cannot match it.

Quote:

Agree. Forth day here with the Fidelia trial period, and find it a nice improvement over iTunes. Is Fidelia Advanced worthwhile?

Hmm the Fidelia Advanced sports Hog Mode which I think is quite crucial. The dithering options are cool too =)

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #791 of 3,495

Quote:
Laggy performance and instability are the last words that come to my mind. VLC never lag nor crash on me and it runs smooth and fast. Much better than any video player I have used on Mac. Even the built-in apple dvd player cannot match it.

It was more of an issue with my laptop than my iMac but on the Mac VLC Player leaves a lot to be desired. I've had it crash a lot and on larger HD movies playback was often an issue where with other programs it was not. Notably MPlayerX and Boxee.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #792 of 3,495

Quote:
It was more of an issue with my laptop than my iMac but on the Mac VLC Player leaves a lot to be desired. I've had it crash a lot and on larger HD movies playback was often an issue where with other programs it was not. Notably MPlayerX and Boxee.

Hmm the largest HD file I played on VLC was 8gb. It does not crash at all. On the other hand, MPlayerX gives me a lot of problem. Seems like our mac are polar opposite =)

Have you tried comparing the SQ on the different video player? I find VLC to be more natural sounding but of course, it is nowhere as good as Amarra, PM, Fidelia as well as other mac audiophile players.

Jul 22, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #793 of 3,495

Quote:
Hmm the largest HD file I played on VLC was 8gb. It does not crash at all. On the other hand, MPlayerX gives me a lot of problem. Seems like our mac are polar opposite =)

Have you tried comparing the SQ on the different video player? I find VLC to be more natural sounding but of course, it is nowhere as good as Amarra, PM, Fidelia as well as other mac audiophile players.

i always found Mplayer OSX Extended to be the best

Jul 23, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #795 of 3,495
I have just upgraded both my VLC and MPlayerX to the latest version.

On my end, MPlayerX is laggy and frames are being dropped every now and then while playing a 1440X1080 vid. On CPU consumption it stays around 50-60%. On comparison using that same vid file, VLC consumes only 20% of the CPU and the video playback is extremely smooth. Image is clearer and the sound is less muddy. I have all the filtering options turned off.

MPlayerX doesn't play .iso files as well.

I guess on the newer i5/i7 core Mac the lag on MPlayerX will disappear.

But then, how did we end up on VLC and MPlayerX?? Oh yeah, about apple choosing to drop the optical drive on the new Mac Mini =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back