Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jul 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #766 of 3,495
I finally decided to give some of these programs a try.I ended up buying Fidelia and the Canz3D AU plugin for corssfeed purposes.

That cross feed plugin makes a pretty big difference. I really like it but I needed to customize it. the default virtual room it creates has too many echoes and effects for me to enjoy but if I turn all that down and leave only the cross feed (blend) feature set to 50%, then I get a nicer, more natural sounding soundstange without any noticeable distortion in the sound. sounds that would be heard only in one ear are now slightly more in the middle of my head. I’d say it works as advertised.

I do find it funny that the full size fidelia player takes up around 2500 horizontal pixels. you can fill up a 27” iMac screen with that thing.

Jul 19, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #769 of 3,495

Quote:
I finally decided to give some of these programs a try.I ended up buying Fidelia and the Canz3D AU plugin for corssfeed purposes.

That cross feed plugin makes a pretty big difference. I really like it but I needed to customize it. the default virtual room it creates has too many echoes and effects for me to enjoy but if I turn all that down and leave only the cross feed (blend) feature set to 50%, then I get a nicer, more natural sounding soundstange without any noticeable distortion in the sound. sounds that would be heard only in one ear are now slightly more in the middle of my head. I’d say it works as advertised.

I do find it funny that the full size fidelia player takes up around 2500 horizontal pixels. you can fill up a 27” iMac screen with that thing.

I have the same combo and managed to create a neutral preset with no echoes and delays and at the same volume level, so you only get the crossfeed without the room simulation, here you can find an image with my settings, I really dont know if they are technically correct, but I like how it sounds.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!

Jul 20, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #770 of 3,495
I did not expect this thread to grow by 50 pages since last I checked! I did not go through it so pardon if this has been covered but anyone noticed that 44.1kHz music sounds better when fed to the D/A (well through an Audio-GD Digital Interface in my case) in native sample rate rather than being upsampled to say 96kHz by Channel D's Pure Music? I had been using software upsampling to 96kHz for a while (because this stupid DI does not accept 88.2kHz signals at their native rate) but now that I have switched back to native sample rate I simply find it more natural sounding. In particular, some borderline agressive sounding redbook recordings (through the Stax 009) sound tamed at native sample rate.

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #771 of 3,495
I just bought the Fidelia player for my Macbook pro to compliment my upgrade to lossless rips and my new 325is cans...

I am now convinced that there is something wrong with my iTunes config somewhere as the difference is quite pronounced - to my ears Fidelia sounds far richer and with a much-improved sound-stage.

I really can't believe there is that much difference in the quality/sound reproduction from iTunes - surely technically, they are doing much the same thing, with just a few small refinements on the Fidelia side?

I will recheck my iTunes tonight and make sure I haven't got any hidden EQ or that stupid sound boost turned on somewhere...

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #772 of 3,495
I did not expect this thread to grow by 50 pages since last I checked! I did not go through it so pardon if this has been covered but anyone noticed that 44.1kHz music sounds better when fed to the D/A (well through an Audio-GD Digital Interface in my case) in native sample rate rather than being upsampled to say 96kHz by Channel D's Pure Music? I had been using software upsampling to 96kHz for a while (because this stupid DI does not accept 88.2kHz signals at their native rate) but now that I have switched back to native sample rate I simply find it more natural sounding. In particular, some borderline agressive sounding redbook recordings (through the Stax 009) sound tamed at native sample rate.

My default for PM is memory hog/upsample mode. Anythng 172KHz and higher is automatically passed through to the W4S DAC at native rates.

On the other hand, I find almost any signal fed to the W4S DAC to sound better in native rates better than before. :wink: Upsampling in PM, feeding the W4S DAC sounds even better.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #773 of 3,495

Quote:

Depends on who you ask.  I prefer native rate for most of my listening.  But when using certain cables that are not as transparent as others I may use upsampling.

Jul 20, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #774 of 3,495

Quote:
I just bought the Fidelia player for my Macbook pro to compliment my upgrade to lossless rips and my new 325is cans...

I am now convinced that there is something wrong with my iTunes config somewhere as the difference is quite pronounced - to my ears Fidelia sounds far richer and with a much-improved sound-stage.

I really can't believe there is that much difference in the quality/sound reproduction from iTunes - surely technically, they are doing much the same thing, with just a few small refinements on the Fidelia side?

I will recheck my iTunes tonight and make sure I haven't got any hidden EQ or that stupid sound boost turned on somewhere...

Probably nothing "wrong" in itunes.  You may just be hearing how much better alternate players can be.  I was doing some tests with power cables this week and my computer kept defaulting to itunes when I pressed play thinking it was Pure Music.  Focus was off, bass was mushy and spread out and transparency not right.  I thought it was the cables under test.  Seems it was itunes playing and once I figured it out things were back to "normal"

Jul 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #775 of 3,495

Quote:
I have the same combo and managed to create a neutral preset with no echoes and delays and at the same volume level, so you only get the crossfeed without the room simulation, here you can find an image with my settings, I really dont know if they are technically correct, but I like how it sounds.

Give it a try and tell me what you think!

I had a chance to try out your settings and I like them. removes all the other room effects that I didn’t want. thanks!

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #776 of 3,495

Argh.  Head-fi's search is just awful.

Anyone remember where to find "Better Music?"  I can't find the download info and I've reviewed half the thread...  
confused_face_2.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 22, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #777 of 3,495
If Apple keep deleting optical drives from their machines, I'll keep crossing them off my shortlists.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-mac-mini-2/4505-3118_7-34850078.html?part=cnet&subj=Apple+Mac+Mini+%282.5GHz+Core+i5%252C+Summer+2011%29

Sure, those of you with topnotch internet connections wont miss a beat, but how do you plan to rip your CDs to the hard drive ? I've had a couple of Mac Minis, and loved them both, but this is moving into the 'computer as appliance' realm already occupied by the much cheaper Apple TV. Epic fail, guys.

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #779 of 3,495

Just get an external drive for ripping; that's what I did. They're cheaper, faster and generally more reliable than ever. However, I've been downloading a lot of my music lately. 
Quote:
If Apple keep deleting optical drives from their machines, I'll keep crossing them off my shortlists.

http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-mac-mini-2/4505-3118_7-34850078.html?part=cnet&subj=Apple+Mac+Mini+%282.5GHz+Core+i5%252C+Summer+2011%29

Sure, those of you with topnotch internet connections wont miss a beat, but how do you plan to rip your CDs to the hard drive ? I've had a couple of Mac Minis, and loved them both, but this is moving into the 'computer as appliance' realm already occupied by the much cheaper Apple TV. Epic fail, guys.

Jul 22, 2011 at 4:28 AM Post #780 of 3,495
Also, most built-in drives are region-locked but it's not overly difficult to find a region free DVD drive instead. Sure, I know this isn't a big deal for most people but I wish I'd known after three years of University in London and all the **** movies I bought... Came back and couldn't watch any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back