Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Apr 16, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #556 of 3,495
Just downloaded DECIBEL and it's intriguing....but have one question which I am afraid may be monumentally stupid but I'll ask it anyway: it seems the default font size when I open it on my MacBook Pro is relatively tiny - and I can't find a way to alter/customize the font size which the App uses....

Can any more experienced Decibel users help me out here please??!!!

Muchas Gracias!!!

Miguel

Apr 17, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #557 of 3,495
Amarra finally released a new update.  The problem is they updated their activation process and no longer use the iLok key (which actually should be a good thing).  Problem is the damn thing isn't recognizing my email or serial number.  It also seem that even this activation panel is buggy.  Activate button says sorry can't deactivate.  Even tried to just Evaluate and says can't deactivate. Doesn't give me hope that things are any better with the player itself.  Let me if anyone can get pass the activation process.  I'm so close to giving up on Amarra completely.  

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.html

Also, Audirvana is testing 3 versions of their new release.  Doing blind testing to see which people prefer. 

http://www.audirvana.com/Site_2/Compiler_test.html

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #559 of 3,495

Quote:
Amarra finally released a new update.  The problem is they updated their activation process and no longer use the iLok key (which actually should be a good thing).  Problem is the damn thing isn't recognizing my email or serial number.  It also seem that even this activation panel is buggy.  Activate button says sorry can't deactivate.  Even tried to just Evaluate and says can't deactivate. Doesn't give me hope that things are any better with the player itself.  Let me if anyone can get pass the activation process.  I'm so close to giving up on Amarra completely.  

http://www.sonicstudio.com/amarra/index.html

Also, Audirvana is testing 3 versions of their new release.  Doing blind testing to see which people prefer. 

I'm still on Amara Mini 2.1, but to be honest I was happy with 2.01 before that.  You could always revert back to an older version till they fix this, right?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by it no longer using the iLok key.  Do you mean the "software-only iLok" to keep it on the one permitted computer, or the iLok dongle that let's you move the license from one computer to another via hardware?

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM Post #560 of 3,495

Quote:
I'm still on Amara Mini 2.1, but to be honest I was happy with 2.01 before that.  You could always revert back to an older version till they fix this, right?

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by it no longer using the iLok key.  Do you mean the "software-only iLok" to keep it on the one permitted computer, or the iLok dongle that let's you move the license from one computer to another via hardware?

I mean, there is now an activation box and you enter the serial number that was on your iLok and email address.  You can activate up to two machines.  The box also lets you deactivate so you're not tied to just those two machines.  So you don't use the iLok at all.  So big improvement if it actually works.

I am still not able to get in.  Surprisingly they have emailed and said they reset my password but still haven't gotten in.  I'm shocked that someone is there on a Sunday and working late.  Too bad I'm still locked out.

As far as reverting back, 2.1 was very buggy for me and only worked ok with cache mode off.  I find Audirvana to sound better than Amarra with cache mode off, so I'll continue to use that.  I was mostly interested to see if Amarra fixed there cache mode playback.  The looping bug was too annoying to keep using.

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #561 of 3,495

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Audirvana is really the best sounding audio player for Mac and it's free.  Decibel (2nd) and Play (3rd) are the runners up; all the rest don't even compete.  Why can't those who actually charge money have as good a sounding player? Surely with more money they'd have more resources for development.  I guess Damien Plisson is just the smarter egg.  Once Audirvana reaches version 1.0 I'll certainly donate some money.

I think Build C sounds the best.  Deeper and wider soundstage, more accurate imaging
Build B & A are very close.  It's hard to tell, but if I had to:
Build B comes in second
Build A in last.

Apr 18, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #562 of 3,495
I think version A is the most transparent sounding of all which I like. Sounds like solid state vs tube amp kind of sound.

The current 0.82 does sound a little different from version A, B and C. Does that therefore constitute a version D? Lol.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #563 of 3,495
Do all the audirvana builds suck the CPU to 100% if you upsample?  If that's fixed I'll try again...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 18, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #566 of 3,495

Quote:
There's no need to upsample.  It sounds better with upsampling off, provided you have a good DAC.

Respectfully disagree on that one. Upsampling has a material effect on SQ, not because it "creates" more data, but by reducing or eliminating aliasing.  I find Pure Music's upsampling to be very much more musical sounding.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 18, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #567 of 3,495
2X! I was using native sampling, and the DAC-2 sounds marvelous. Music just flows. However, having tried Pure Musici's upsampling, it's simply a musical wonder! 

Quote:
Respectfully disagree on that one. Upsampling has a material effect on SQ, not because it "creates" more data, but by reducing or eliminating aliasing.  I find Pure Music's upsampling to be very much more musical sounding.

Apr 18, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #568 of 3,495
The preference for upsampled sound differs from people to people so let's not make a firm remark on whether upsampling will be good or not.

=)

Apr 18, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #569 of 3,495
Amarra Jr. 2.2 seems to have worked out the glitches and sounds great even just playing native rate (but can now play up to 24/96) without upsampling.  Just the tenth of a second timer is annoying and the licensing for using more than one computer at a time, which requires constant deactivation and reactivation between machines.  None of the other players have this issue, so why should Amarra?!

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #570 of 3,495

Quote:
Amarra Jr. 2.2 seems to have worked out the glitches and sounds great even just playing native rate (but can now play up to 24/96) without upsampling.  Just the tenth of a second timer is annoying.

Damn, I'm still locked out of Amarra Mini.  Haven't heard back from them all day.  I really don't think it's something I'm doing wrong on my end.  I'll post feedback if I ever get in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back