Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Mar 22, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #466 of 3,495
will do.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #467 of 3,495
Thanks for this thread - I heard so many new and interesting for me. I actually reviewed almost everything mentioned here, but still stick with VOX. Just because my library is pretty mixed with different formats: FLAC, APE, WavPack. The main thing is that almost every piece of it - is a single file with CUE sheet. And this library is synced between several computers on different platforms (that is why I don't want to convert everything to ALAC). I like VOX, but it is too simple in terms of music management. 
I would love to use Decibel or Fidelia - but it was a surprise for me to find that CUE is not supported.

Mar 25, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #468 of 3,495
Audirvana has been updated with the Gapless fix.  Works perfect.  Gapless album tracks blend seamlessly.  And it only loads 2 tracks at once, so won't take up all your memory loading entire album like Amarra or Pure Music.

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #469 of 3,495
I think Audirvana hard-locked my Mac today. was odd. A song ended and it went to start the next track. All I heard was a loud stutter and everything was frozen. Had to hold power down to shut it down.

No errors listed in the Console. Very confusing.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #470 of 3,495
well, it loaded its own upgrade pretty quickly, but there's been some odd stuff happening, stuttering and refusals to load. I'm rebooting to see what's going on elsewhere. might have nothing to do with Audirvana of course

Quote:
Audirvana has been updated with the Gapless fix.  Works perfect.  Gapless album tracks blend seamlessly.  And it only loads 2 tracks at once, so won't take up all your memory loading entire album like Amarra or Pure Music.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #471 of 3,495

I've got a Mac Mini with the original generation Intel core solo processor and a current model Mac Pro both running Snow Leopard, as well as an older 12" Powerbook G4 running Leopard maxed out with 1.25GB RAM and they all run sizable lossless libraries flawlessly with PureMusic via iTunes, I just bought the license.

I don't think there's another player out there that will work with all three of these computers as well as both of these operating systems, much less integrate with iTunes. The only issue it's ever had is waking up in a slightly temperamental state from system sleep, but it advises to disable the sleep feature anyways.

I'm very happy with the improvements that I hear from PureMusic in default mode, plus there are many other features to explore when I get around to it lol.

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:36 PM Post #472 of 3,495
Does anyone know of one that offers direct digital passthrough?

For example, in windows there's cyberlink DVD player, and it has an option to pass all digital data without even so much as touching the volume to the sound card, and after that the sound card passes direct digital to a DAC or some such. Basically the only thing controling the volume is the portion RIGHT before the sound is converted to analog and sent to the speakers. Thats what I'm looking for

Mar 31, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #474 of 3,495
I'm trying both Amarra and Pure Music. The nice thing about Pure Music is you can make the output Mono if you want for testing speakers, and It has a nice interface with a lot of options. Last year I bought Power Station which works within iTunes. It's inexpensive and sounds great, but I still may buy Pure Music or Amarra for slightly better sound on hi-res files. When I buy  hi-res files from HD tracks in FLAC, I play them through Songbird. Man they can sound good! But I still do most of my listening on iTunes since I have so many files loaded.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #475 of 3,495
I was just settling down to Audirvana auditoning when I noticed my fans kick in on the laptop.  100% utilization on both cores.  Audirvana totally maxes my machine out.  My 5 minute impression was it was worth listening to, but that's kind of a show stopper till they fix that bug.  

With high order dithering and even multiple upsampling, Pure Music uses less than 5% CPU, so I have to assume Audirvana has a bug, not that they need all those cycles just to upsample.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 1, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #476 of 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspeakers

"I was just settling down to Audirvana auditoning when I noticed my fans kick in on the laptop.  100% utilization on both cores.  Audirvana totally maxes my machine out.  My 5 minute impression was it was worth listening to, but that's kind of a show stopper till they fix that bug.  

With high order dithering and even multiple upsampling, Pure Music uses less than 5% CPU, so I have to assume Audirvana has a bug, not that they need all those cycles just to upsample."

That sounds like how Pure Music behaves on the old G4 PowerBook I have it running on. I use that as the bedside player with a remote, where I hit pause when I am nodding off and the machine goes to sleep but the fan runs incessantly at full speed until I close the lid in the morning. I've never heard the fan run like that before actually. It's a bit frustrating but I understand that Channel D is pretty responsive so I will contact them at some point, hopefully before my Mac explodes.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #477 of 3,495

Quote:
I was just settling down to Audirvana auditoning when I noticed my fans kick in on the laptop.  100% utilization on both cores.  Audirvana totally maxes my machine out.  My 5 minute impression was it was worth listening to, but that's kind of a show stopper till they fix that bug.  

With high order dithering and even multiple upsampling, Pure Music uses less than 5% CPU, so I have to assume Audirvana has a bug, not that they need all those cycles just to upsample.

I had CPU monitoring turned on too and Audirvana consumes 100% CPU when running maximum upsampling using SRC. It uses about 50% when using Apple Core Audio though.
I had the upsampling turned off whenever I use Audirvana. The SQ is good enough. =)

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #478 of 3,495
hi guys, sorry for the noob question. i got an eagles cd (hell freezes over) that is in 24bit/100khz. is there any software that can import the files without converting them to 16/44? and also is there actually any audible difference between 16/44 and 24/96 or 24/100? 
p.s sorry if this has already been mentioned before, but i tried googling to no avail. thanks in advance!

Apr 1, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #479 of 3,495
Only showing 0.4% with Audirvana with no forced upsampling.  I leave converter on SRC but not sure if it makes a difference if forced upsampling is off.  After spending a lot more time with Audirvana, it really does sound better than the other players.  Has the most realistic soundstage and smooth, liquidy richness too it.  Decibel seems a little flat in comparison.  I haven't tested Amarra again since I still haven't seen a new release yet.  I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone complain about the weird looping bug it has. Only last 10 seconds of certain tracks would start to loop until next track started.  Made player uselss. I'm all for better sound but not at expense of glitches that actually effect the performance.

Apr 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #480 of 3,495
Max is great for format/sample conversion.  Never heard of 24/100.  There is definitely a difference between 16/44 and 24/96.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back