Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes
Jan 23, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #1,711 of 3,495
Second your impression on Audirvana Plus. Not only it sounds more natural (particularly when compared with Amarra / Amarra HiFi) , the layering, imaging and sound stage are excellent as you can sense the location/tone of individual instrument in an orchestra. Further more with direct play and integer mode turned on, unnecessary software layers (for various audio effects and sample rate conversion) such as Apple Core Audio are bypassed all together, thus settings in Apple MIDI Setup utility do not have any effect on Audirvana Plus. For pure music appreciation by audiophiles, any additional audio processing has adverse effect on sound quality.

Audirvana Plus requires certain amount of memory (buffer size is adjustable) for track preload and processing, scheme for sample rate conversion is adjustable as well (according to capability of your external DAC). It doe not modify any setting in Apple MIDI Setup at all (see above), thus no audio setting should be affected once Audirvana Plus application has been quit (does not matter it ran in hog mod / direct play / integer mode). So if you never set these parameters properly according to your Mac and DAC hardwares and the application keep crashing and audio system never work properly for other applications, then blame yourself instead of the application. With Audirvana Plus, crappy software such as iTunes and all unnecessary software layers can be bypassed completely, thus it should be more stable than Amarra HiFi and Pure Music and even standalone Amarra.

By the way we are talking about paid commercial software Audirvana Plus but not free open source software Audirvana. The free version has some critical components (particularly good sample rate converter) missing.

I have also been trying out audirvana plus and I'm likin it a lot. It does make an improvement from just using iTunes, at least to my ears.

I was wondering if you are doing any up sampling also. I was playing around with none vs max and I think there is a slight difference between the two (source is 16/44.1 ALAC). What are your impressions on that?

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,712 of 3,495
Followings are my audio system setup:

iMac (2.8 GHz Core i7, 256 GB SSD, 16 GB DDR3 RAM) (USB 2.0) > WireWorld UltraViolet USB cable > nuForce DDA-100 Amplifier > Wharfedale Diamond 122 Speakers

Since nuForce DDA-100 Direct Digital Amplifier only support following sample rates: 44.1/48/96 kHz, I set Forced Up-sampling option to Maximum sample rate (namely 96 kHz) as the option Oversampling 2x only (88.2 kHz for red-book CD sample rate of 44.1 kHz) is not supported by nuForce DDA-100 amplifier. With the renown iZotope 64-bit SRC up-sampler selected for Converter option in Audirvana Plus, I did not hear any degradation in sound quality. Time jitter has been taken care of in DDA-100 amplifier thus not a concern to me.

Maximum up-sampling of 96 kHz sound slightly better than no up-sampling at all (44.1 kHz), thus I keep 96 kHz as permanent setting and rediscover all my music through Audirvana and above new audio setup on my three-month old iMac.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #1,713 of 3,495
Audirvana Plus is now default player.  I was still going back and further with Amarra but found latest version of Audirvana Plus better in every way with direct/integer mode enabled.  

I use no oversampling with all sliders to the right except cutoff at 1 and pre ringing at 0.76.  I use iTunes integration but have everything deactivated.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #1,714 of 3,495
I actually liked Fidelia a little bit more than Audirvana Plus from my memory, but I like Audirvana Plus for its simplicity...no add-ons required, everything is included. I don't use upsampling, but wouldn't that decrease the audio quality? Or am I thinking about upsampling music files themselves?

Personally I don't use iTunes except for synching 256 kbps music to my iPhone, so I ruled out Amarra from my list. That plus I don't like its interface very much.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:23 AM Post #1,715 of 3,495
Quote:
Audirvana Plus is now default player.  I was still going back and further with Amarra but found latest version of Audirvana Plus better in every way with direct/integer mode enabled.  

I use no oversampling with all sliders to the right except cutoff at 1 and pre ringing at 0.76.  I use iTunes integration but have everything deactivated.

+1

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #1,718 of 3,495
Quote:
How often does this player crash or freeze up your system? Is it pretty stable with all the newer updates?

This question goes out to all the audirvana plus owners?

Thanks

This player has never crashed for me.

It has been very stable.

Can't emphasize that enough!

Also, it hardly uses resources whatsoever.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #1,720 of 3,495
Quote:
Quote:
I agree! Audirvana Plus is my go to player now!

How often does this player crash or freeze up your system? Is it pretty stable with all the newer updates?

This question goes out to all the audirvana plus owners?

Thanks

Which version of [Mac] OS X are you using? It runs fine in Mountain Lion with a Retina Display MacBook Pro, but on my 2008 MacBook with Snow Leopard it crashes every time I quit.

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,721 of 3,495
Quote:
Which version of [Mac] OS X are you using? It runs fine in Mountain Lion with a Retina Display MacBook Pro, but on my 2008 MacBook with Snow Leopard it crashes every time I quit.

I got a mid 2012 Macbook Pro with Mountain Lion. Sometimes it hangs and I get the dreaded beach ball if I close iTunes before I close it (using integrated mode). 

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #1,722 of 3,495
Audirvana used to crash on Lion when switching to or from itunes integration mode.  After updating to ML it has no issues at all.  This could also be from the 1.4 update as I upgraded to ML around the same time.

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #1,724 of 3,495
iTunes is free, has an excellent library, I like it a lot. Makes syncing my devices easy too.

Very true, but not really relevant to this thread. :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #1,725 of 3,495
Quote:
Very true, but not really relevant to this thread.
smily_headphones1.gif

Definitely was in a different tab than I thought I was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back