M50, What happened?!
Dec 6, 2011 at 7:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

stephancho

100+ Head-Fier
I haven't been on Head-Fi since early this summer because I was content with my SE215s, but of course I grew out of those and returned out of curiosity. Much has changed since I last logged on. Most notably, what has happened to the M50? The price has gone up to $159, compared to a little over $100 in June. People seem to recommend them less and less when new visitors ask for suggestions. They are not as coveted in the For Sale sections. What new headphone has arrived which is so great it has usurped the M50's crown?

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #2 of 26
Well the M50 was a little overrated to begin with, at under $100 they're valuable and decent headphones, but when Audio Technica upped the price to $150+, it's just not worth it anymore, as there more (better) alternatives out there at the price range.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #3 of 26
Really? Then why do the top recording engineers swear by them?

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 26
Gotta say, alot of people are down on them these days but given the right source their sound can be amazing. At around $150 new I'd love to know what bests them just so I could give them a try.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 26

Quote:
Gotta say, alot of people are down on them these days but given the right source their sound can be amazing. At around $150 new I'd love to know what bests them just so I could give them a try.

For a nice colored sound ~ I prefer the Ultrasone 580 myself.

Dec 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
Well the M50 was a little overrated to begin with, at under $100 they're valuable and decent headphones, but when Audio Technica upped the price to $150+, it's just not worth it anymore, as there more (better) alternatives out there at the price range.

The price must be a leading contributor to the dramatic loss in popularity the M50 has faced on the board. While I would gladly pay $119 for them if I were ever near B&H and could purchase them there, $159 is way too high for them. What is good at the ~$100-120 price range which has surpassed the M50?

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 26

Quote:

The price must be a leading contributor to the dramatic loss in popularity the M50 has faced on the board. While I would gladly pay $119 for them if I were ever near B&H and could purchase them there, $159 is way too high for them. What is good at the ~$100-120 price range which has surpassed the M50?

at $100-120 which has surpassed the M50?

None, believe or not, despite the vehemence of some who say otherwise. The closest competitor would probably be the Ultrasone 580 and the Shure 840, but they are neck and neck competitors, not actual superiors in any overall sense.  It really comes to highly personal sonic preferences, not any objective measurements of sound quality.

Regarding your main question about its lost popularity.  What actually happened is that it actually went into PARITY with other headphones, aka it finally begins to fight on equal ground vs being advantaged solely based on price.  There is no doubt they were overhyped solely due to their prior affordability, so its only natural for the drop to occur once pricing went up.

What is interesting, however, is the existence of a certain faction here on the forum hellbent on denying if not impugning the M50's performance at every single relevant thread.  I don't know if that's more amusing or disturbing.

Dec 6, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 26
The Fischer Audio FA-003 is another contender which many think is better than the M50. While I do not own one, and I really want to get a pair, I didn't like my M50 as much. I listen to the SRH840 a lot more

The Fischer Audio FA-011 is another alternative as well, although it's open.

So that's 2 options for you at 2 different price points.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #9 of 26
Aurvana Live! has always been comparable to M50 for $70.

Dec 6, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #10 of 26
The M50 has largely settled into the community and seen price hikes, both of which are contributing to the lack of hype. Right now all of the no-name brands and cheap gems are in vogue, with somebody seeming to find a giant-killer in everything. However, there's nothing out there that truly bests the M50 in anything but personal preference still, even at $50 more.

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #11 of 26
I thought the M50s were highly regarded on this forum.  I swear by mine.  I think they are well worth the price, especially considering the big box retailers shoving Beats, Bose and Skull Candy in peoples faces.  I guess I 'm pretty late to the hype party.

Dec 10, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #12 of 26
The shure srh840 kills the m50s. I own both. I just don't hear what everyone hears in the m50s. Sure their good but not as good as the srh840. I will praise the srh840 for all eternity for their $130 price they go for. Dynamically they are better. The m50s sound colored and fake to me by comparison. I'm glad the m50 hype has died down. I got sick of the need new headphones for $150 thread were everyone recommended the m50s. There is way better cans. The zx700 also sounds better to me.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 26
Here's a quote from you about the ZX700: "i listened to these at the sony store and didn't like them. they sounded bad. everything sounded out of place, it was harsh and also boring." Then in another thread you say(paraphrasing) the M50s are "good" but not as good as the 840s. Make up your mind man!
tongue.gif
j/k

Anyway, simple answer is the price went up. Still $125 on Amazon which is good.

Quote:
The shure srh840 kills the m50s. I own both. I just don't hear what everyone hears in the m50s. Sure their good but not as good as the srh840. I will praise the srh840 for all eternity for their $130 price they go for. Dynamically they are better. The m50s sound colored and fake to me by comparison. I'm glad the m50 hype has died down. I got sick of the need new headphones for $150 thread were everyone recommended the m50s. There is way better cans. The zx700 also sounds better to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back