M50: The 2010 dilemma
Dec 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

teambayern

New Head-Fier
So I'm the kind of guy that likes to do lots of research, find the right price point, and make my move.  Well that's what I did here at headfi when i wanted a new pair of closed headphones for work, and I landed on the m50.  Ordered, not yet received.  Not a day later, I find 2-3 threads on here saying something about the 2010 M50 being wacked out and not as good as the prior version.  While Amazon has a nice return policy, I'd rather not even open them if I'm going to return them anyways.

So help a brother out:

1. Any way to tell which version is the 2010 and which isn't? Amazon has several different listings that are seemingly identical, maybe these are the different versions? 

2. Which version is this one, if you can tell: http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Studio-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000UVGI6O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291771156&sr=8-2 ?

3. When people say the 2010 is worse, the big question is HOW much worse?  Should I be looking elsewhere at this point, or are these very subtle details?

Thanks guys...

Dec 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #2 of 8
If it's the headphonia article you are referring to, if memory serves, I think the conclusion was that if there was any difference between early runs and the ones they are producing now, it was hardly noticeable. 

I got mine about a month ago and am very happy with them.  Don't stress out, just enjoy your purchase.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 8
I think there are minor diferences, they are still getting good reviews elsewhere...and for my taste, they sound great. 
The big difference...they are +$50 bucks now.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:22 AM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
If it's the headphonia article you are referring to, if memory serves, I think the conclusion was that if there was any difference between early runs and the ones they are producing now, it was hardly noticeable. 

I got mine about a month ago and am very happy with them.  Don't stress out, just enjoy your purchase.

This article? http://www.headfonia.com/test-burn-in-and-production-variations/

OP: even if the new version is inferior...
1. This doesn't mean it's bad.
2. You wouldn't know it from first-hand experience, since you've never heard the old version.

So unless you must know that you're hearing the superior version of the M50 in order to enjoy what is otherwise a good product, you should just enjoy what you (will) have.

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 8
I've heard it both ways

Thew new one is better.... or worse. Everyone seems to have a different opinion.

Anyways, regardless they're an excellent buy and the sound sig does not change. Maybe a slight change in treble, but its alomst negligible 

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #6 of 8
the newer batch have slightly more engaging mids and a little bit less refined upper and lower end.

i've tried both, but the upper and lower end of the newer batch gets better if not the same from the older batch, but with slightly more engaging mids.

buth still sounds great, but i prefer the newer batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back