M50, more bass or not?
Feb 20, 2011 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

langquorth

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I decided to obtain one ATH-M50, and I have to say, these cans are immaculate.
However, it came with hippo box+ amp.
Now, I can't decide weather to increase the bass (using the amp) or not. D:
so, is M50 lacking in bass or is it enough?

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #2 of 15
Wait...  are you saying you have already gotten them?  Or are you saying you've gotten them and they are in route in the mail?

If you already have them, why don't you plug in the amp and check?

Sorry if I'm a bit confused here.

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #3 of 15
Yea I'm also a bit confused. If you already got them why wouldn't you simply listen for yourself and let your ears decide what sounds more to your liking. Some people find greatly emphasized bass to be appropriate and others want a lot less of it. Use your OWN ears to decide what is best for YOU.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #5 of 15

Quote:
Ok, so I decided to obtain one ATH-M50, and I have to say, these cans are immaculate.
However, it came with hippo box+ amp.
Now, I can't decide weather to increase the bass (using the amp) or not. D:
so, is M50 lacking in bass or is it enough?

Quote:
its in the mail. arrives in a week (feels bad man)
So, I was asking?

Question, if they are still in the mail, what prompted you to say that "these cans are immaculate"?

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #8 of 15
Yea, really the only one who can decide is you. For me, no the M50's didn't have enough bass, but I know tons of others who think it is perfect. There is no definitive point where all can say "there is not enough bass". Everyone is different and only you can decide. The good thing is, if you don't like them you'll be able to sell them quite easily since they are in such high demand.

Feb 20, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #10 of 15
You have the last word on this man, give em a listen and let us know. 
wink.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #12 of 15

Quote:
reviews. reviews. and the shop I ordered from let me try out their set before ordering for me (they had to order online as they didn't have it in stock) :|

Heh. They are nice ain't they?

Anyway, just to echo what the majority is saying, let your ears decide. You will be getting them anyway, so it's just a simple comparison of with amp or without. In fact, write some reflection here with your experience. It might useful to others who have similar concerns as yours in future. :)

Feb 21, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #13 of 15

Quote:
reviews. reviews. and the shop I ordered from let me try out their set before ordering for me (they had to order online as they didn't have it in stock) :|

Reviews mean jack.  The gear in my sig I got on reviews then afterwards fellow audiophiles are like, "Why didn't you just get the DT990s, they are both in one blah blah."  Sometimes you just got to pull the trigger.  I'm glad I did.  I can aim for the DT990s later after I work on the amp situation.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:11 AM Post #15 of 15

Quote:
another question would be, would my Fuze be able to drive this thing? or should I always have to lug around the headphone amp.?

Easily.

I have tried plugging in my M50's into my 2g Nano, Laptop, and iPhone and each of those seemed more than capable of driving the M50 to deliver the rich sound it is supposed to give.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back