M:i:III
Apr 28, 2006 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
I just thought I'd share a review some guy wrote over at theforce.net for anyone interested in Mi III. I have to say it seems a little over praised in this review so take it FWIW. While I think Cruise is a total goofball the movie does look worth seeing at least so I'll probably give it a look.

Tom Cruise said his goal with the third Mission: Impossible film was to create "the ultimate Summer movie experience." He succeeded.

This evening I was able to attend a press screening at the AMC Alderwood 16 (a.k.a. the mall theater).

In terms of action films, there are few examples of perfection: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, T2: Judgement Day, the first Matrix maybe, and Spider-Man 2. You can add M:i:III to that list.

The film has been in development for about five years now. I remember being really excited when David Fincher was attached. I think the only element of his involvement that remained, if anything, was the opening . . . which I don't want to give away. Let's just say that Phillip Seymour Hoffman is **** up in this . . . in a great, iconic way. I really think his villain will be iconic. This film is the Goldfinger of the franchise. The movie is smarter than the first, and filled with better action than the second. The action never gets too over-the-top, and there's so many twists and turns it's insane.

That said, Ethan Hunt's character has a thousand more layers than he did in the last two films. This one is completely unpretensious, fun, action-packed, suspense-filled, but it also has a lot of humanity. All the character's motivations are lead by Ethan's personal convictions it seems. And there was a suprising amount of heart in Hunt's relationship with his girlfriend.

The musical score was AWESOME. Lots of emotion and I was geeking out when I heard some of the music that Danny Elfman wrote for the first film reappear in one of the early action sequences.

I really think this will be hard to top this Summer. Much like how Spider-Man 2 was the movie of Summer 2004, and how Star Wars was the movie of Summer 2005, I can see this being the movie of the Summer. I can't wait to see it again. My head hurts because of how much I was geeking out earlier.

Seriously though. This could be the best T.V. to movie adaptation. I'll have to rewatch The Fugitive.

M:i:III > True Lies, Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies, The World is Not Enough, Die Another Day, Mission: Impossible, M:I-2, and Mr. & Mrs. Smith combined.

Another thing I loved was the return of the team missions. Every little mission Ethan goes through, he's alongside his team. He's very much in the Jim Phelps role, and you end up carrying a lot about the team. Luther (Ving Rhames) is great in this one.

I really think those who don't see it do to all the crazy publicity around Cruise will be missing out . . . badly. And I have a feeling that the people who don't like it will end up having to resort to cheap shots at Cruise. Take a look at what the users at Rotten Tomatoes are rating it without even having seen it.

This is one of the BEST debut feature films EVER. J.J. Abrams is officially the action-adventure KING in my book. I could easily see him turning into this generation's James Cameron. Here's looking to what pulls out of his mind next.

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74
In terms of action films, there are few examples of perfection: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Die Hard, T2: Judgement Day, the first Matrix maybe, and Spider-Man 2. You can add M:i:III to that list.

Spider-Man 2? Sounds like the reviewer is a bit overly anxious to add to his list of classics there...

I am glad to hear that it should be a team-involving show. The commercials make it look like a Tom Cruise deal and nothing more.

I did actually enjoy the first two movies, taken as what they are, and getting a good laugh at the movie where appropriate
wink.gif
. I hope this one is good, but I will reserve judgement until I see it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 46
Sounds good wakeride74!

I guess I'll go watch it afterall if it's not as dissapointing as MI:2.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
It's pretty difficult to have a Tom Cruise that's not a disppointment.
biggrin.gif

Interview with a Vampire was good.... and so was... well I guess that was it
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:58 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Katie Holmes' placenta will eat to that

Apr 28, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 46
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I think that Tom Cruise is a good actor. Films like "Interview With A Vampire" and "Collateral" are very decent in my book. I also enjoyed the first "Mission: Impossible" and "War of the Worlds" to name a few examples where he delivered a solid performance.

Apr 28, 2006 at 10:12 PM Post #8 of 46
i can't watch him without cringing.

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #9 of 46
Yeah - I admit - I am actually looking forward to seeing this movie.

Apr 28, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #10 of 46
He's good when he works with strong directors (Kubrick in "Eyes Wide Shut", Stone in "Born on the 4th of July", Mann in "Collateral"), but pretty poor in movies without a strong director ("Top Gun", MI:2, War of the Worlds, Days of Thunder, Far and Away, the list goes on...).

Apr 29, 2006 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 46
I dunno... he's had some pretty strong movies. More to add to the list - Minority Report, Jerry Maguire, Rain Man, Magnolia. And Risky Business, maybe not a _great_ movie, but a total classic and sent the Cruise missle into action. IMO it's 50/50 with the guy, and even the so-so movies are entertaining. Not as entertaining as his real life, but hey, what is?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 46
whats with the hating on Top Gun??

Am I the only one here thats gonna stand up and defend it? I actually really like the movie, it has memorable lines and well yeah its just pretty freakin awesome. I'm not saying that TC did a phenom job in it. I just think the movie is great

BTW I thought he was good in Rain Man, i really like that movie

Apr 29, 2006 at 6:36 AM Post #14 of 46
Cruise is a good actor IMO, despite his . . . quirkiness. Cmon, who doesn't like a little placenta on their hot dog?

Apr 29, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #15 of 46
it's a shame that he fired?/lost his pr person and then he started to say all his nutball things..he could of aged gracefully like paul newman...instead he is a scandal away from michael jackson territory

Users who are viewing this thread

Back