M.I.A. "Born Free" on David Letterman
Jul 15, 2010 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sno1man

1000+ Head-Fier
http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/07/14/mia-letterman-born-free/

No matter what you think of her, her music or her politics, she is a master at provoking reaction.

I liked Arular and Kala quite a bit but have not picked up Maya yet. I watched this last night and it is at least an aural assault.
It comes across as aggressive as any hard core punk or speed metal song (musically anyway)

My girlfriend HATED it.

Dave just seemed dazed.

Thoughts?

Jul 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 17
I posted that inflammatory video for this song here some months ago, and if I remember correctly, no one responded. This isn't terrible, but not her at her best, either. Not sure she deserves the backlash that is clearly kicking in.

Jul 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 17
i thought it was pretty good, i dunno. i like how she's transforming her songs in the various video/remix/live cuts. though it's kinda biting (i guess) her proteges sleigh bells a bit much though. putting on those two albums though, i mean damn she's not going in the right direction. 

Jul 15, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 17
Hmm.
mixed reviews on the album (pitchfork hated it, rollingstone likes it) and there is definitely  a backlash underway against her.

I listened to the album version of born free and liked it.  My have to pick Maya tomorrow.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:40 AM Post #8 of 17
Well, antiquiet agrees with pitchfork.... That's a surprise, they seem to have a bit of a problem with pitchfork.

Antiquiet is the source for music news in my opinion.

http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2010/07/mia-maya-review/

I must warn that google pulled their ads from antiquiet recently due to offensive content. So don't click the link if you are offended easily.

Jul 16, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #9 of 17
M.I.A.'s 'Born Free" is cool with me. Do live in a real city, so am used to this kind of stuff. Did notice some who did not like this music was a little more rural than me?

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 17
An urban environment is necessary to enjoy "Born Free"? 

That seems a bit strange to me. Any reason for that?

EDIT: Just realized this post makes me sound like a jerk. Oops.

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Never said it was necessary?

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 17
I'm trying to understand where you were coming from. I'm confused at what you said above. Care to shed some light?

Jul 16, 2010 at 3:15 AM Post #13 of 17
Sux to be confused
tongue.gif

Jul 16, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #14 of 17
^ You confused me too with the "real city" and "rural" dribble. Ironically, it's that kind of broad brush that the song rails against.

I like the song but cynically think the video was a marketing ploy. Nothing sells like rebellion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back