M-Audio Studiophile Q40 - Review, and Appreciation
Feb 14, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #31 of 139
Quote:
Just bought a pair of these for $99 direct from M-Audio... can't wait to give them a go.

Wow!  I just paid $126 and thought THAT was a deal.  For $99 they are a steal!  Let us know how you like them. 

Feb 14, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #33 of 139
Quote:
Yeah, I was surprised to see the price at the M-Audio site was $25 cheaper than on Amazon...!

Feels like Q40 is getting "the new M50 effect" that happened like 2-3 years ago when M50 was down at $89 at lowest. That was also a great deal back then. ^^ 

Feb 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #34 of 139
Comparing Q40 to XB700, which I've been doing this afternoon, I noticed the Q40 run out of headroom just a bit sooner than the Sonys.......but to be honest the Sonys are bass monsters.  

I changed my pads back to the stockers from the Beyer velours, put a 3/8" rope spacer under the pads, and have all my bass back.  A little disappointed by this.  Thought the Beyer pads would help.  i guess they do......for comfort, but the stock Q40 pads are OK with the mod.  EQ is flat, double amp as usual and it just thumps and handles the bass thrown at it.  I'm loving the Q40's........and after trying out the Mad Dogs I'm realizing I'm a serious basshead and next up to audition are the Beyer DT770's, arriving tomorrow.

i love bass, and these cans handle it all.  

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #35 of 139
Snagged a pair of these from Amazon Warehouse Deals when they were 70 bucks "like new", and  grabbed a pair of Beyerdynamic velour pads while I was at it.

Holy crap. I was expecting these would be a sloppy, bassy guilty pleasure like my Vmoda LPs, but I've been listening to various music for the last couple of hours, and I'm absolutely floored by how detailed these are for the price.

Apr 30, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #36 of 139
Snagged a pair of these from Amazon Warehouse Deals when they were 70 bucks "like new", and  grabbed a pair of Beyerdynamic velour pads while I was at it.

Holy crap. I was expecting these would be a sloppy, bassy guilty pleasure like my Vmoda LPs, but I've been listening to various music for the last couple of hours, and I'm absolutely floored by how detailed these are for the price.

Clearly the best basshead value going. And they are GOOD quality sound, not just bass.

Welcome to the Q40 fan club. :cool:

If you have another $14 laying around, buy the Shure leather pads for them that are for the 840 model. Swap those out for the velours. I loved the velours but the Shures are better for sound.

May 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #37 of 139
May 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #38 of 139
Quote:
If anyone wants a cheap short cable, monoprice has a nice cheap $4 3 foot cable. http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Designed-Mobile-Plated-Stereo/dp/B00AJHB8R8
It has a nice chromey look to it.

You'll have to unscrew the chrome part a little so it'll fit, (see top plug) but once you do it fits perfectly.

Is that cable stiff, as it looks like it is.  That's what I like about the V-Moda cable - I have the grey kevlar reinforced one I think and it is so flexible.  It's the one thing I hate about my D2000 - the cable is like a 1/4" thick power cable it's so inflexible.  LOL

May 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM Post #39 of 139
Quote:

Is that cable stiff, as it looks like it is.  That's what I like about the V-Moda cable - I have the grey kevlar reinforced one I think and it is so flexible.  It's the one thing I hate about my D2000 - the cable is like a 1/4" thick power cable it's so inflexible.  LOL

Yeah, it is kinda stiff, similar to the HE-400 left and right cable. But it's only $4, it's short, and sound exactly like the stock Q40 cable. It's something really cheap for someone wanting a short cable.
I hate stiff cable too, but this one isn't too bad. 

May 3, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #40 of 139
Clearly the best basshead value going. And they are GOOD quality sound, not just bass.

Welcome to the Q40 fan club. :cool:

If you have another $14 laying around, buy the Shure leather pads for them that are for the 840 model. Swap those out for the velours. I loved the velours but the Shures are better for sound.

Can you tell me if the Shure pads help improve isolation at all? The only thing holding me back from getting a pair of these to try is the poor isolation. Wonder how the isolation compares to the MDR-1R or M50.

Jul 24, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #42 of 139
Quote:
I wanna buy this fantastic can but what pads are most comfortable...?  :)

Oregonian swears by the Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads. I had them on a pair of Mad Dogs and they are supremely comfortable. If you don't want to spend that much then get the Shure 840 pleathers or 940 velours (the velours reportedly reduce the bass impact though).

Jul 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #43 of 139
I wanna buy this fantastic can but what pads are most comfortable...?  :)

As Vidmaven said, I landed on Alpha pads as my favorite after about 10 aftermarket pad swaps. Second is the black Beyer gels (weird feel but comfy and great seal) followed by the Shure 840's and then HiFiMan pleathers. But the Alphas are $60, worth it to me for sure. So comfy and great sound. Like those pads so much I put them on my D2000's and Pro900's as well. After I ordered three pairs, Dan actually emailed me to find out what was up......

Aug 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #44 of 139
I am getting my pair this week
gs1000.gif
so excited and then on september 15th i can order the alpha pads they where sold out for now so get them later......

Aug 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #45 of 139
The Alpha Pads fit on the Q40?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back