M-Audio Q40 mod question
Feb 12, 2013 at 4:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Oregonian

Headphoneus Supremus
I did the Beyerdynamic velour pad last night - great comfort improvement.  Question is the foam pad (think it's a dust protector) - did you all leave it in or pull it out?  What difference did it make on sound quality?

Love these headphones.............see my sig you'll notice my propensity to basshead cans and these are simply so well rounded when fed the way my setup is configured. 

Wish I'd have known about these months ago.

May 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Is there a thread somewhere with mods for the Q-40?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600026/m-audio-studiophile-q40-review-and-appreciation/30#post_9398212 has the most in depth info on the Q40.

What are you after?  I've changed the cable to a V-Moda unit, swapped pads three different times, with and without spacers under the pad sections.  Check that post out and let me know if you need anything else. 

The Q40 with a better cable, the tight clamp loosened a tad and new pads is a great value basshead phone with more than average quality sound.  I personally love mine and think it's the equal of phones costing three times as much. 

May 2, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/600026/m-audio-studiophile-q40-review-and-appreciation/30#post_9398212 has the most in depth info on the Q40.

What are you after?  I've changed the cable to a V-Moda unit, swapped pads three different times, with and without spacers under the pad sections.  Check that post out and let me know if you need anything else. 

The Q40 with a better cable, the tight clamp loosened a tad and new pads is a great value basshead phone with more than average quality sound.  I personally love mine and think it's the equal of phones costing three times as much. 

I bought these because I read all the reviews about them having deep bass but I find they do have some bass but it's not the deep bass I'm looking for. I was wondering if there are some mods to give me the deep bass I'm craving.

I do think these are quite good for the price. Maybe I was expecting too much. Has anyone put them in wood cups yet, I was thinking of making some cups for them.

May 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
I bought these because I read all the reviews about them having deep bass but I find they do have some bass but it's not the deep bass I'm looking for. I was wondering if there are some mods to give me the deep bass I'm craving.

I do think these are quite good for the price. Maybe I was expecting too much. Has anyone put them in wood cups yet, I was thinking of making some cups for them.

Wow.   First person in recorded history saying Q40 doesn't go deep enough. 
confused_face(1).gif

Don't know of any mods but I do know the Shure pads help with the whole spectrum.  Spend the $14 and try them. 

Have you heard any other phones that go deeper?  Inquiring minds and all that..............looking for a tip on something that rattles the brain more. 

Maybe the Ultrasone Sig DJ or something of that price range?

May 2, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #7 of 14
me too. not impressed by sub bass performance of q40. no rumbling until you eq the bass. very poor experience. after all the hype here i sold them after 4 weeks.

as you can see here http://en.goldenears.net/9049 sub bass rolls of quickly from 50 hz. for the right rumble feeling they need to go at least down to 30 hz.

May 3, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

as you can see here http://en.goldenears.net/9049 sub bass rolls of quickly from 50 hz. for the right rumble feeling they need to go at least down to 30 hz.

So did you find another can that satisfies the need for deep bass?

I haven't heard of any cans that go deeper but I've only began my quest. The Q-40 doesn't do it for me.
And as far as sound quality I like my cheaper Grado SR60's better.

May 3, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Oregonian can you be more specific with which V-Moda cable?

Thanks

May 3, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Oregonian can you be more specific with which V-Moda cable?

Thanks

It's on their website, costs $12 and is the audio only option, not the three button version. Sorry I'm on my phone and can't get a link for you but if you can't find it, let me know and I'll post later when I'm on my laptop.

May 3, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #12 of 14
if you want a basshead better than q40, get audio technica pro 700mk2 with beyerdynamic dt250 velour pads. I use them with a digizoid z02.3 and that is a bass monster.

May 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #14 of 14

Users who are viewing this thread

Back