M-Audio AV40 - still a good buy?
Oct 31, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #78 of 181
Considering getting a pair of LSR305's, coming from AV40s that I currently have
is it a worthy upgrade guys?

Based on what I heard at Guitar Center, I would say definitely yes. The JBL sounds way fuller and much more exciting, while still not coloring the sound. I was planning on getting the AV40 when I started this thread, but after hearing the JBL I couldn't settle for the AV40.

Oct 31, 2014 at 11:22 AM Post #79 of 181
I don't know, for about $130ish these are pretty good. I heard them at a Guitar Center too, in one of their isolated/soundproofed rooms, they aren't half bad coming straight from USB. Obviously the soundstage was good, but that was because of the room. I would say that a DAC or even a preamp of some sort would be very beneficial to the overall SQ. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #80 of 181
Based on what I heard at Guitar Center, I would say definitely yes. The JBL sounds way fuller and much more exciting, while still not coloring the sound. I was planning on getting the AV40 when I started this thread, but after hearing the JBL I couldn't settle for the AV40.

thanks for the input. i'll try to give the 305's a go at my local guitar center this weekend. 

Oct 31, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #81 of 181
Well my system is complete! I will post pictures later in the pictures of computer rig forum and will post before and after shots. My brother got my old system. The subwoofer was the biggest difference. The bass is so much deeper and overall the sound is thicker and clearer. Everyday I am enjoying it more. On to the Airmotiv 5S. Without the subwoofer they offer lower bass and a more complete sound. Right now I have the physical EQ at +2 for tweeter and -4 for bass. On their own they are an upgrade from the M-Audio especially if you do not use an EQ DSP. Currently I have no DSP's with the monitors and the subwoofer is working perfectly as the crossover. No humming whatsoever which I was dealing with through the subwoofer cable. They do not sound that much different. In the listening position I notice mainly more impact, a little bit more fullness but in terms of clarity my M-Audio hold up. Listening in bed, the sound is more intact. If you want speakers to fill a room, I feel like these are less nearfield than the M-Audio's which is great. Of course they have much more power, too much for my little room.

Overall, was it worth all the money? The sub I feel is great for the deal I got on it. The crossover works well and the bass is thick and deep. Now I can run any DAC I please which will be my last sidegrade as I want something external. The Airmotivs maybe are 10% better without the sub and maybe 5% better with. My original setup I would say is 85-90% of what I have now and mainly because of the bass. In a larger room it would be much different. The sub would pull ahead much further and the Airmotiv would fill up a room better. Granted this is the first day, everything is new, sub, speakers, cables, calibration. I felt like my previous was too good to be true considering how cheap it was. Now after spending the money you feel that you really do not have to spend the money, at least not right away. And match the output to the room. My system is way too powerful but still functions great. I will say the sub and speakers are gorgeous, they might not sound that much better but they look better and that is what audiophiles care about right?    

Overall, again, I would say I learned a lot. If you are doing 2.1 system in a medium too small room for pleasurable listening than get the sub $250 monitors from M-Audio, JBL, KRK, whoever you like most when auditioning or whatever deal comes up. GET A SUBWOOFER! That is all I can say. Even a cheap Yamaha like mine will make the sound twice as good. But for $265 that I paid for my Presonus it is a beast and now they have an 8 inch model which would suit smaller rooms better. I am not regretful. Expected a little more but over time I will keep adjusting and getting used to the sound. I am pleased. You pay a lot of money to get a little better performance. I would upgrade my room before anything else. Might make another thread with this message. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #82 of 181
BigTerminator, great post, very informative. Congrats on your new toys, I bet they are awesome.

I went to Guitar Center with my wife yesterday and listened to the JBLs again. They sounded so great that I couldn't resist, I had to take them home :) I know that I could have waited and bought them on sale, but I couldn't wait anymore. They sound even better at home, after I listen to them a bit longer, I'll update this thread with my thoughts. One thing that shocked me is how huge they look on my desk - they didn't look that big at the store, but look gigantic next to my 24" monitor. The sound is amazing and I can't stop listening. Very happy :)

Nov 1, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #83 of 181
Congrats on the new speakers!

And even though they weren't on sale, LSR 305 owners tend to agree they compete well with some of the best $500 speakers. Not like you got a bad price/performance deal :)

If you are into bass, now you just need a sub :wink:

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #84 of 181
The truth with a subwoofer, it is not about getting more bass but more fullness. My sub has a bypass switch allowing my speakers to operate without the sub. When I disable the sub, the hard kicks of bass of course are lessened, but overall the sound goes from full and thick to souless and empty. Would recommend a sub even if you are not a bass head. Helps make the speakers clearer as well. 

Glad you are enjoying the JBL's. What DAC are you using? If you are using integrated audio right now than you should really like your JBL's when your ODAC comes. 

Cel4145 - How do you like your SVS Sub? The SVS SB1000 was my dream sub for my bedroom but $500 was too much especially considering how my new sub is overpowering my room, and how it cost twice as less and is better suited for studio monitors. I would not really be able to enjoy the SVS to the fullest. 

Update: I set my speakers full range now and running the sub at 70hz. The sound is better on day 2. Hopefully as my speakers break in they will become better. Thought about returning them for a moment but I am liking them more as they go on. The midrange character of my M-Audios I like more, but everything else has been better. The twitter is sweet on these babies. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #85 of 181
Yep. Your fullness comes also from the fact that low bass is omnidirectional, so it does a better spatial feel in a desktop setup, IMO.

The SVS is quite nice. Excellent sound quality for the money. All of the major Internet subwoofer vendors are like that, providing values equal or better to home audio and pro audio speaker company subs at half off their MSRP. Really hard to beat. If you had paid full price for the T10, I'm fairly certain you would have been better off saving a bit more for the SVS :)

Why are you running your sub at 70hz? Did you try them with the 80hz high pass filter enabled on your sub and the crossover set to 80hz? It is possible you are getting some room gain, so I 70hz could work better. But in theory, the high pass filter should match up better with setting the sub low pass crossover dial to 80hz as well.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #86 of 181
Still wondering what to get though. I guess it's better to buy monitors then add a sub, correct? As gettings monitors to go as low as 20-25hz cost quite a bit more?
Airmotiv 5s or JBL LSR305 are looking like the top choices. Any other suggestions? That presonis sub sounds awesome for the money. Max I wanted to spend was $500 on the setup.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #87 of 181
Not sure if in budget or if you want to invest in a new product, not ever heard them myself but the reviews I read are very interesting and impressive.
http://www.focal.com/en/alpha/493-alpha-50.html

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #88 of 181
If you are going to add a sub, don't worry about 25 hz monitors.

A sub is the right "tool" for sub bass, a specialized speaker that is designed strictly to produce low frequencies. A tower speaker or monitor with big drivers that tries to reach down low like that will never outperform a good sub.

My recommendation would be to get the LSR 305 when the go on special again for around $250 (which they often do). I would bet that they might over Black Friday/Cyber Monday. Then save up for a good sub. Many people make the mistake of thinking a cheap sub has good bass. But a sub is a big driver, big enclosure, and an amplifier. So it is worthwhile to spend a little money on one.

Nov 1, 2014 at 12:35 PM Post #89 of 181
Nov 1, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #90 of 181
SoAmusing - I will tell you this. JBL + Presonus > Airmotiv 5S. Go to ProAudioStar and tell them you want the JBL + Presonus, they will probably give you both for $450. I think the Presonus is the best studio sub especially for the money. Biggest, most powerful, deepest out of all the top players and at $265 price cannot be beat. The Airmotivs are great but not worth the extra $100-150 when that money can go towards a subwoofer. If I had a choice of upgrading my M-Audios or Yamaha Sub I would upgrade the Yamaha sub. 

Cel4145 - I would not pay $400 for a studio subwoofer. $300 is what I think they are worth mainly due to their crossovers they include. I paid $265. $265 vs. $500, doubt the SVS is twice as good especially in a small room where I can not even use the power of the Presonus, but I do know the SVS's are great. For my room and wallet I made out pretty well. I am experimenting with my setup. I tried the high pass filter at 80hz and now I am trying them full range. I am switching up the subs crossover to see what sounds best. I am trying to find the best balance between deep rich bass without overlapping the speakers and running the speakers full range so they can expend more energy. The louder I play the nicer they sound. My room is small so got to make the best of it. The sub can start booming so lowering the crossover makes it clearer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back