M^3 from YBM Audio?
Sep 13, 2011 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sennheiserhd485

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know anything about YBM Audio?

I am thinking about buying a built M^3 from them.

I have heard that it works well with the HD600.

Are there any other places to get a built M^3?

What are some opinion of the M^3 vs. other SS amps in this price range?

Also, I want to make sure that is has a stepped volume control.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 6
YBM Audio is one of the professional builders listed on AMB's website so it's safe to go with them.

I had a great time living with the M3 + HD600/650. Excellent value for low money.

Sep 13, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
YBM Audio is one of the professional builders listed on AMB's website so it's safe to go with them.

I had a great time living with the M3 + HD600/650. Excellent value for low money.

I am having a very hard decision now. Do you think that the Koss ESP/950 or the Stax 2050II system would be a better deal?

They are all around the same price.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #4 of 6
you could make one yourself without too much trouble, provided you have access to a decent soldering iron and some ESD protection.  YBM is a pro builder for a DIY audio site AMB.  You could make your own enclosure, choose your own knobs (the blue velvet is awesome) and customize the gain based on your headphone specs.

Sennheiser cans have a high nominal impedence so you would need decent gain (20 dB or so) to get better response.  If you build your own, you also have the choice of upgrading certain components to improve the sound.  Also, check out the B22 DIY version at the AMB site.

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
you could make one yourself without too much trouble, provided you have access to a decent soldering iron and some ESD protection.  YBM is a pro builder for a DIY audio site AMB.  You could make your own enclosure, choose your own knobs (the blue velvet is awesome) and customize the gain based on your headphone specs.

<snip>

Careful - everything about DIY is glossed over in that paragraph ... and the Blue Velvet is the volume potentiometer (Alps RK27), not just the "knob."  As for "You could make your own enclosure," it's true - I've seen some people use a cardboard box with some holes poked through, but realize that the enclosure - done right - is as much or more as the entire amp construction itself.

This doesn't even count the fact that the M3 doesn't come with a power supply, per se.  You'd have to build an S11 or something similar just to power the amp properly.

Finally, ESD protection is over-rated, but a good soldering iron and experience is not.  Anyone who's done DIY would recommend a CMoy as a first project - at a minimum.

Just an FYI, but if you are considering electrostatics, realize that the same issue is in play - serious audiophiles build a custom amp, regardless of Stax or Koss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back