M^3 driving 600 ohms
Apr 24, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is also possible that you or he just hears differently from other people.
Find a third or fourth party who has compared them head to head and posted a review and see what they have to say on the matter.

On that note, one of the co designers of the M^3 was Morsel who is credited with selecting the default gain of the M3 as 11 using her 600ohm Beyers. source

Hit the nail on the head. The amp has no trouble at all driving the 600ohm DT990s and Morsel herself uses those same cans with the M^3.

Apr 24, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never heard the DT880s myself, but from my experience with the M^3 and DT990s, I'd say that the 250ohm version is a better way to go.

x2
the dt880 250 is no chopped liver.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp has no trouble at all driving the 600ohm DT990s and Morsel herself uses those same cans with the M^3.

Possibly dependent on power supply? I haven't heard the difference between an elpac vs a Sigma11 vs a STEPS. Both of mine used the latter...est.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #19 of 24
Elpac < STEPS < Sigma11.
wink.gif
All will deliver enough current, but I'd stick to the latter, they're worth it.

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonsosnot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Possibly dependent on power supply? I haven't heard the difference between an elpac vs a Sigma11 vs a STEPS. Both of mine used the latter...est.

I had both the Elpac and Sigma-11 and yes the Sigma-11 improves SQ but the difference wasn't night and day. The Elpac still delivers more than enough current and was great with the M^3 running the DT990. It's safe to say that power is not the issue here. What you heard was probably because of some other factor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Elpac < STEPS < Sigma11.
wink.gif
All will deliver enough current, but I'd stick to the latter, they're worth it.

x2.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:37 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"More than enough", I wouldn't say, Elpac is 300mA, make sure you don't bias the M^3 too high or you'll stress the PSU, keep it under 80mA per channel.

Bad choice of words I guess (on my part). I know that my M^3 at 24V typically draws around 300mA of current, so the Elpac would be just enough, not more than.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard conflicting reports as to the origin of the name "M^3" in general. "Morsels Mosfet Monster" has been posted around although discredited on both AMB's and other design sites. I tend to prefer this name to the explanation given that M3 means "3 mosfet output stages" even though its not correct.

I thought it was more like "3-channel amplifier with mosfet output stage".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back