LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Sep 30, 2020 at 12:56 PM Post #393 of 1,793
So I've tried the red filter in POP mode, but I feel I'm not getting enough bass. Any suggestions for more bass?
time to tip roll. The a7 is not a particularly bass heavy iem. It can reach deep when called for but it's a far cry from a basshead sound profile. If you're feeling that the bass is light, I'd really dial in on a tip that will give you a deep and isolated fit.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #394 of 1,793
For those of us that has the A7, it would be fun to talk about your subjective experiences with the filters.

I have tried the black, yellow, and red filters so far. I keep coming back to red. Tried both pop and monitor with the red and so far seem to be most happy with the pop mode. But I have been mainly playing rock and haven't really delved into "classic" jazz or classical. It may well be that pop works best there also but I will check out monitor mode at some point.

Right now I am using Azla as the tips (not the Xelastic) and having good results. The Xelastic flavor of Azla was pretty good; but they kept getting stuck in my ears when the IEMs were removed. I couldn't get quite the fit I wanted (at least not yet) with my trusty Spiral Dots. The included tips had their merits (what are they anyway? Looks like spinfits perhaps?).

These are far more comfortable than the ThieAudio Legacy L3 and Tri i3 pairs that I have. I do find it necessary to run cables behind my ears to keep the fit. The only pair I own where that is not needed are the FLC8D which have a terrific fit for me. Well actually I have some cables with removed earguides on my BLON 03 and that works okay. But then again I don't use the BLON all that much.

Oh, listening to Another Green World right now and enjoying it. Which is the point of all this!

I've only tried the black, gold and red filters so far. Generally I think prefer them all in monitor mode but I'm still a bit unsure about the red filters (if I prefer opo or monitor mode). With the red filters I tend to like monitor best at home but need pop when out and about in more noisy environments. I really like monitor gold as well. Monitor black is also enjoyable to me with some music. I think it's going to be really hard to make a review of them because of all the possibilities. For some reason I find the top end to be a touch more relaxed with monitor mode on all the filters, probably because of more forward midrange that makes me keep the volume lower.

Edit: I really love that these can beat my MT100 for reference sond (for me), the TSRM 3pro on vocal presentation and (almost :wink:) the A6 for fun.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #395 of 1,793
I've only tried the black, gold and red filters so far. Generally I think prefer them all in monitor mode but I'm still a bit unsure about the red filters (if I prefer opo or monitor mode). With the red filters I tend to like monitor best at home but need pop when out and about in more noisy environments. I really like monitor gold as well. Monitor black is also enjoyable to me with some music. I think it's going to be really hard to make a review of them because of all the possibilities. For some reason I find the top end to be a touch more relaxed with monitor mode on all the filters, probably because of more forward midrange that makes me keep the volume lower.

Edit: I really love that these can beat my MT100 for reference sond (for me), the TSRM 3pro on vocal presentation and (almost :wink:) the A6 for fun.

This another vocal champion, huh, Pete?
(C'mon I wanna hear that from you!Haha)

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #396 of 1,793
This another vocal champion, huh, Pete?
(C'mon I wanna hear that from you!Haha)

Yeah, I like the vocal presentation on it a lot. It's also the LZ IEM's I've heard with the most forward midrange :)

Sep 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #398 of 1,793
How do these compare to the FH3 on a comfort level? Just got the FH3 and the comfort on these is excellent for me.
I mght consider the A7 in the future if it's the same :)

A7 is easily the most comfortable IEM in my arsenal. Maybe Westone W4R and Phonak Audio might have been slightly more comfortable, but I don’t have them anymore to compare.

Sep 30, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #399 of 1,793
Yeah, I like the vocal presentation on it a lot. It's also the LZ IEM's I've heard with the most forward midrange :)
wow, how about vs mangird tea?
the tea midrange is great,

Sep 30, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #400 of 1,793
A7 is easily the most comfortable IEM in my arsenal. Maybe Westone W4R and Phonak Audio might have been slightly more comfortable, but I don’t have them anymore to compare.
I owned some Phonak's once. They required some fairly deep insertion. So I would not categorize those as comfortable.

I find smaller IEMs more comfortable. The A7 are pretty good. I bet the FH3 are comfortable because they look reasonably small. Sort of like my most comfortable pair; FLC8D. It is fairly straightforward to make a 1 DD 2 BA on the smaller side.

By the way, I am probably only 10 hours into a break in period. But these are something special.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #401 of 1,793
Very true. Like Piano, violins can be challenging to record faithfully. I once demoed $60,000 Ming Jiang Zhu vs $800,000 Guadagnini in Seoul and thought Guadagnini’s immediately bright but mellow response transmitted full sound so intense that it reverberates right through my body and declared it as an easy winner.
However in a separate recording session, it was incredibly hard to distinguish which instrument sounded better because of the recording limitations and the distortion created by transducers which failed to capture full spectrum of dynamics those instruments were capable in real life.

The A7 does sound amazing on well recorded music and I think it sounds more natural and tonally pleasing than Blessing 2 for example.

I will do some comparisons if and when my UM MEST decides to show up next week.

Might I request you to compare the imaging of the Mest to the A7 when you recieve it, because i heard Mest has realy good imaging and RikudouGoku praised the imaging the most of the A7. Thank you.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #403 of 1,793
BB464228-BEBA-4B21-B2F8-13A048DF32CC.jpeg

I am still on red-pop settings today. Will try other filters starting tomorrow.

25C28D8D-70CE-482C-9D9A-680DE020DC4A.jpeg

NM2+: I love the NM2+ for classical music, but here with a progressive rock, it sounds sharp, aggressive and hard sounding. Micro detail retrieval and imaging is really good, but Geddy’s voice came across slightly thin and dry sounding coupled with harsh cymbals making it little uncomfortable to listen. Depth wise I feel drum set is not well separated with a vocal.

A7(Red-Pop): Well balanced and detailed sound without edginess. Cymbals strike feels more natural. Vocals come across wetter even for Geddy’s mezzo-soprano pitch ranges. Drum is well separated from the vocal range. Jazz Bass guitar is rendered with a well defined and punch low end. Wish sound was little more dynamic though. Overall very enjoyable listen.

A7(Red-Monitor): sound became 2D (decreased width and depth) and bit honky. 500-1000hz Vocal range got too pronounced. Imaging is not as good as pop mode and I personally didn’t enjoy this muddying presentation.

Oct 1, 2020 at 3:07 AM Post #404 of 1,793
BB464228-BEBA-4B21-B2F8-13A048DF32CC.jpeg

I am still on red-pop settings today. Will try other filters starting tomorrow.

25C28D8D-70CE-482C-9D9A-680DE020DC4A.jpeg

NM2+: I love the NM2+ for classical music, but here with a progressive rock, it sounds sharp, aggressive and hard sounding. Micro detail retrieval and imaging is really good, but Geddy’s voice came across slightly thin and dry sounding coupled with harsh cymbals making it little uncomfortable to listen. Depth wise I feel drum set is not well separated with a vocal.

A7(Red-Pop): Well balanced and detailed sound without edginess. Cymbals strike feels more natural. Vocals come across wetter even for Geddy’s mezzo-soprano pitch ranges. Drum is well separated from the vocal range. Jazz Bass guitar is rendered with a well defined and punch low end. Wish sound was little more dynamic though. Overall very enjoyable listen.

A7(Red-Monitor): sound became 2D (decreased width and depth) and bit honky. 500-1000hz Vocal range got too pronounced. Imaging is not as good as pop mode and I personally didn’t enjoy this muddying presentation.

actually that filters looks like what we have been doing all this time with mods, changing amount of sponge on the nozzle wall, with fabric filter below but not exactly below the grill, they have space distance between grill and fabric filter. Maybe look very small thing, but for me that is very big thing and affect sound. So many chifi companies just put fabric mesh filter behind the grill directly without knowing that made bad airflow and made bloated bass.
I have my respect for LZ for really understand about this. They did their homeworks not like majority of chifi companies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back