LZ A7 IEM's impressions and reviews thread
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:52 PM Post #316 of 1,793
Wow, what? I mean the graph sam posted does show that the gold adds treble and that is what I am hearing.
umm, to my ears, it definitely lifts the 1k-4k region.

Sep 24, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #317 of 1,793
Sep 24, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #318 of 1,793
This iem exceeded my expectations, between the filters and ability to eq with sonic accuracy.

I was itching for a used mofo trio but they don't come up for sale much and my budget is $400 all-inclusive of fees and shipping. So, I wasn't too confident I'd find one with that stipulation.

Now that I'm fully blown away by the A7, I'm wondering what the Trio sounds like.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #319 of 1,793
I'm not finding the A7 to be that tip dependent, not like the audiosense aq7. But I am wearing the A7 differently than my other iems. I took some eyelash scissors and removed the heat shrink to allow for the cable to go straight down (or over the ear). In order to accommodate a good fit and comfort straight down, I'm using the smallest tip I have every used in my life. never utilized this combo before. but the sound is phenomenal and the comfort is excellent.

Problem is, to wear the cable over ear, I need a larger tip to maintain comfort since I am unable to position the shell as deeply as I can when wearing it straight down.

So I have to carry two sets of tips if I switch things up. lol

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #320 of 1,793
I'm not finding the A7 to be that tip dependent, not like the audiosense aq7. But I am wearing the A7 differently than my other iems. I took some eyelash scissors and removed the heat shrink to allow for the cable to go straight down (or over the ear). In order to accommodate a good fit and comfort straight down, I'm using the smallest tip I have every used in my life. never utilized this combo before. but the sound is phenomenal and the comfort is excellent.

Problem is, to wear the cable over ear, I need a larger tip to maintain comfort since I am unable to position the shell as deeply as I can when wearing it straight down.

So I have to carry two sets of tips if I switch things up. lol

I assume you prefer the sound signature of the A7 over the AQ7?

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #321 of 1,793
I assume you prefer the sound signature of the A7 over the AQ7?
Can't say because I had to send back my aq7, driver on one side wasn't firing correctly. It would cut in and out. When it was running properly, and if I had a gun to my head, I'd go with the AQ7 because of my near-exclusive interest in classical music. But the A7 is a better value, more versatile and does 93% of what the aq7 did.

**edit**
I think the aq7 is misunderstood since many thought it would be an upgrade from the t800. I also think that it's easy to unappreciate how good the aq7 is because of how finicky it is with tip selection and source.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #322 of 1,793
Switched to gold.

regarding the piercing violin e string whistling, ironically it occurs less with the gold vs red filters. I've dealt with it permanently with this autoeq file.

Pinna gain on the red seems overly conservative, but 7-8db on the gold along with that smooth rise from 1k seems extremely promising. From the impressions it seems that this translates in listening too, exciting stuff! Thanks for the measurements!

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #323 of 1,793
Pinna gain on the red seems overly conservative, but 7-8db on the gold along with that smooth rise from 1k seems extremely promising. From the impressions it seems that this translates in listening too, exciting stuff! Thanks for the measurements!
I am extremely sensitive to that region. But yes, I do think that the gold should be better than the Red IF I could handle the treble better lol.

Sep 24, 2020 at 1:50 PM Post #324 of 1,793
Switched to gold.

a7 red vs gold vs harman.jpg

regarding the piercing violin e string whistling, ironically it occurs less with the gold vs red filters. I've dealt with it permanently with this autoeq file.

a7 gold autoeq.jpg
Thats weird. The gold filter has much more treble quantity than the red.
I actually notice the opposite, Gold kills treble for me which makes this IEM so good in the first place
Wow, what? I mean the graph sam posted does show that the gold adds treble and that is what I am hearing.
yeah but it doesn't sound as much of a boost as it appears on the graph.

My graph is pretty much identical to the documentation that came with the package. The phamplet's scale is a tad different from mine but the results are consistent so far. I'll get around to measuring the other filters as I get to them.

I think its all about on 7khz sibilances, where the red have more busy 7khz than gold filter and red have double boost that on 8-9khz. Similar with NX7 pro / mk3 that have double boost on 7-8khz which caused too busy sibilances

I love the slow rise pinna on red filters, that is more my preferences or close to.

Sep 24, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #325 of 1,793
Lurk has the prototype with slightly different tuning and definitely some difference to the filters. Haven't got a chance to test the filters between the two A7 versions yet but the red ones are definitely different.

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:16 AM Post #327 of 1,793
Tip recommendation for these?
To be honest, the included tips cover a wide variety of materials, shapes and sizes and should be good enough. So far, the a7 doesn't seen to be very tip dependent/sensitive

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #328 of 1,793
6736DA44-D25E-47E6-8618-1D011DF0C00E.jpeg

Put the red filter on and measure please.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 2:04 AM Post #330 of 1,793
Got the A7 in the mail. Had a quick listen with its stock configuration from my DX220 MAX and all I can say is bravo. Tuning is already very good on its stock. :)

photo_2020-09-25_14-00-07.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back