LZ-A4 Impressions and Discussion Thread
May 10, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #5,101 of 5,225
I have some news, in case anyone is interested. I'm in love with red+red*

Red front filter was sounding ugly for me (closed, muted), and did some hand-made tunning. Now, it is sounding better than any other.
Highs are similar to black, but with better mids. It can be compared to green filter too, but more brilliant and opened.
Cymbals are, I would swear, the best I ever heard in iems. Only change to black-green from time to time, when listening to classical, opera or other genres where red back filter is too "invasive".
It is incredible, and honestly, I miss some audiophile friend near, to show this sound. It is a very full v-shaped sound (v-shaped but with very good mids too). Textures are all incredible (cello, guitars, violin, piano, voice...) Details and soundstage seem to be giving the best of A4s too...

I'm very interested in these as my next IEM purchase.

Can someone compare them to the ER4XR, GR07 Bass Edition (2017) with MMCX, Campfire Comets or iBasso IT01? I know it's a long-shot :)

Also, any comments on product quality problems or defects? I'm always wary spending more than $200-250 on any IEM not made in USA or doesn't have a local dealer because of warranty service.

I would say only problems are related to mmcx connectors (after trying some cables, and it is fixable if occurs) and moisture, but I think only when it's raining or there's some moisture excess related situation. I won't buy other iems at this price range, I'm now sure.

Last edited:
May 10, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #5,102 of 5,225
I would love to hear the IT01 just for a point of reference. I'd be particularly interested to hear how it compares to the HiFi Boy OSV3 which is now my favourite sub $200 IEM (A4 still has a special place in my heart though!).

The A4s might win on technicalities compared to the IT01 but the iBasso gets really damn close and has some advantages. It has a tuning that fits nicely with some of the more popular front filter options for the A4, with slightly less bass than the black filter but way more than the blue. That said, I think the IT01 has more bass extension compared to the A4, which impacts perception of quality. Ergonomics are better on the IT01 as well, since they're lighter and sculpted to fit inside the conch of the ear. Those sculpted lines means that the IT01 is a fussier fit with MMCX cables due to the housing around the connectors. And they're around $100 less, of course.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #5,105 of 5,225
Other followers are jumping onto the A5 boat. I've actually mega upgraded into beginner TOTL. That was the only natural progression for me after trying out more pricier mid fi iems. A4 is solid re: bang for buck and a lot of owners are pretty satisfied

What you looking for exactly?

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #5,106 of 5,225
For me I think you could do a lot worse than these for 170 usd. They might not be TOTL but they’ve got no real weaknesses either, and a year or more down than line I remain utterly content with them. Build quality seems stellar, comfort is good enough and sound holds its own comfortably with my other cans, the Fidelio X2 and Senns HD250. I’ve had no urge to upgrade until now, which is quite rare for me!

Hi guys,
Is this still worth buying today? I can get it for ~170 USD.
Is there a better iem in this price range? (preffer the sound sig of the HD650 with a little bit more sub bass).

Thanks

Jul 23, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #5,107 of 5,225
Hi guys.
Does it worth to change my Westone W40 for LZ-A4? Just want to try something new. Will A4 be any better than 4-driver westone?
Most of my music library is experimental electronic/ambient/industrial/some extreme metal.
My current setup: iPhone 7 Plus, xduoo xd-05, westone w40, apple lightning to USB dongle.

Jul 24, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #5,108 of 5,225
I've had my LZs for a week now. I love this IEM. I might prefer it over the Heir 8s I have. We'll see as it opens up.However, I'm not completely happy with any of the supplied tips. I can go with either the double flange or the foam tips supplied for now.
I would like some suggestions if others have found good replacements. What is the size of the tip. I can't find a circumference anywhere in the specs. Thanks to anybody who posts info for me.

Jul 25, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #5,109 of 5,225
I find that the best for me (apart from Pioneer's SE-CH9T stock ones) are Spiral Dots or similar. Wide and short hole, not too intrusive. I've found that this kind of tips get less wax too, contrary to my first thoughts.
Got 3 pairs (S-M-L) from aliexpress that are good too. They can be found in red, blue and (not sure) yellow, have spiral blades to enforce seal and cost about 1-3 bugs (but in my case, Pioneer's ones fix even better with very similar sound.
Did not like foam at all when tried, but maybe this is more personal.

Jul 25, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #5,110 of 5,225
I ordered the Spiral Dots. I hope they work well for me. The quality of the ear tip makes so much difference in what you hear with an IEM. Thanks Broquen.

I'll post my impressions. I ordered this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202351313262

Jul 25, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #5,111 of 5,225
I ordered the Spiral Dots. I hope they work well for me. The quality of the ear tip makes so much difference in what you hear with an IEM. Thanks Broquen.

I'll post my impressions. I ordered this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/202351313262

I've ordered them time ago in L size too, but it is too big for me. I hope you're not finding yourself in the same case.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #5,112 of 5,225
I ordered an ML also. I don't want to wait if the Ls don't fit. Thanks for the heads up on the sizes. It is good that they offer 5 sizes as opposed to S/M/L only. Plus my left ear canal is slightly larger than my right, an ML/L combo might be the ticket. I guess the shipping will take 2-3 weeks.

The worst thing about IEMs is finding the right tips. They are all flawed or compromised in some way.

Jul 25, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #5,113 of 5,225
I ordered an ML also. I don't want to wait if the Ls don't fit. Thanks for the heads up on the sizes. It is good that they offer 5 sizes as opposed to S/M/L only. Plus my left ear canal is slightly larger than my right, an ML/L combo might be the ticket. I guess the shipping will take 2-3 weeks.

The worst thing about IEMs is finding the right tips. They are all flawed or compromised in some way.

You're right. I usually find the L size to be ok in most cases but, regarding Spiral Dots, I think that ML for right ear and M for the left, could be perfect for me.

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #5,114 of 5,225
I would like some suggestions if others have found good replacements.
For me, the best found tips are KZ tips. You can find them very cheap on AliExpress. For my ears, I use size M tips.

HTB15vdMRFXXXXXdaXXXq6xXFXXXI.jpg

HTB1MX8CNXXXXXb8aXXXq6xXFXXXS.jpg

Jul 26, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #5,115 of 5,225
Cool, they're so cheap I ordered a couple packs to test. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back